• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a 45 gallon drum half full of Cerney stone, and a cheap pump that pumps the water in it filters down through by gravity and comes out crystal clear, take a look at the clarity of water on the Co

Koi will live in any old water mate .Dont listen to the shite spouted by so called experts .Ive had koi all my married life in a pond with a basic vortex filter and pump .Ive got a secondary filter as

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

FD, that's a small swimming pool! :o

See what I just said to Gnipper though. May clarify where I'm coming from?

I got a 45 gallon drum half full of Cerney stone, and a cheap pump that pumps the water in it filters down through by gravity and comes out crystal clear, take a look at the clarity of water on the Cotswolds it’s Crystal clear because it filters through the same stone, I just copied nature and added a pump ??

• Like 5

Right, we've got that much established then. Must say; I like the idea of these vortex set ups! Now That, I think, could seriously hold back some shit from the rest of the system. Let it all sink, as it would. Open the cock and have it all gush out into a bucket. 'Lovely'.

Now, can anybody help me with this, please? His present filter is a canister with foam insert. Bog standard fish tank thing. He shits. It blocks. I wash it out under a tap. (I Know that's totally wrong. But, it's worked fine, for years)

But now, out of the blue, his water's gone murky and no amount of filter cleaning or water changing is stopping it. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

GM; Thing is, I expect you too are dealing with fish? Fish shit turns to dust. If I tried your method, I'd be hosing flesh and fur out of those stones all the time.

Think of a flat with multiple students. Imagine the shower plug hole ..... That!

It’s also about reaching the optimum levels of bacteria in any filter and changing water to frequently will keep the water coloured while it goes through a change which normally involves an algae bloom which makes it look dirty, if you can keep the water in a container for a fortnight before using it, it will clear quicker ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Like that idea, GM! Thanks!

As it is, I keep a two litre jug on the side. Every day, I hook two out of his tank and chuck that ~ stood for twenty four hours ~ in. But, now? I think I'll fill a five gallon bin.

Now, even as we speak, I've got the test kit out. Big, expensive one. PH looks bad. Not sure as I haven't read what it should be yet. NO ammonia! That came out clear as tap water. Doing nitrite now. I'll list the results presently.

Okay. The results are in! (God, I fukking Hate doing that! I just don't handle fiddly, time sensitive shit well. Makes me horribly tense)

PH = 7.6.

High Range PH = 7.4.

Ammonia = Inconclusive. Couldn't really get a colour change (?)

Nitrite = Inconclusive. Couldn't really get a colour change.

Nitrate = 0 - 5.

If any of that means anything to anyone? I'm listening. Though, I'm also off to dig out my listed water values that my turtle needs. Remember; His water could kill your fishes on contact. He's not a fish.

GM; I think you may have nailed it! Here's my story: Just checked the turtle preferences. His PH is just that side of 'High'. Rest is fine. He's certainly in no physical danger, in there.

Now, I've had this fukker for years now. Only, he's seriously out growing this little tank and its filter. So far though we've got through. Waiting for his big tank.

Only, a while ago, I gave him a fukking good feed. And he destroyed his water And the filter. I washed the foam insert, as I've ever done. But - here's the thing! - I then went a bit manic with the water changes! I was basically throwing water in there like it was on fire!

That's where I think you're right. I fukked up the bio balance completely. Now, it's struggling to re establish its mojo and my chucking water at it will only set it back again, every time! Hence the cloudy shit.

That sound about right?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Some crackers there DS?

Its my brothers pond.I helped him build it about 10years ago when he was Ill for a couple of years.most of the fish were under 8"long when he put them in and theres a few in the lower 20lbs now.He even has a few rudd in there which we caught out of a local pond and chucked in there to help establish it when it was new that my pal whos a keen angler reckons would be specimens if they were in a lake

• Like 2

Got rid of all the silver fish in my pond .Had roach ,bream and rudd and a 3 pound perch that’s recently died ..Removed loads and the koi have doubled in size .Recently put  a few crayfish in and they mullered them .
Theres an 8 pound tench in mine too .Get pics up when it’s clear .

• Like 2