Anyone here keep them? I'm looking for guidance on filters.

Expect it to go PM, quickly. Because I don't want to block this place with a running conversation about a quite particular (Particular? Filters? Geddit?! :D) issue.

Don't honestly know what it is about Koi Carp ~ as alongside regular carps? But, they seem to need water purer than we'd drink? I just want some Serious filter set up. More mechanical than bio though. Make the Ganges look like tap and I'll be happy.

I've googled and you tubed for Ever! Fukk it. I'll just buy one. But, which???

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a 45 gallon drum half full of Cerney stone, and a cheap pump that pumps the water in it filters down through by gravity and comes out crystal clear, take a look at the clarity of water on the Co

Koi will live in any old water mate .Dont listen to the shite spouted by so called experts .Ive had koi all my married life in a pond with a basic vortex filter and pump .Ive got a secondary filter as

Posted Images

Koi will live in any old water mate .Dont listen to the shite spouted by so called experts .Ive had koi all my married life in a pond with a basic vortex filter and pump .Ive got a secondary filter as well but probably not needed .I like a natural looking pond so plants and lilies etc and they seem to like it ,growing to 2 foot some of them .Have to clean it few times a year but no hardship .This year been a pain with silk weed but I won’t be chemical treating just physically removing it as it blooms .The cloudy water comes from either over feeding or the UV filter needs replacing .Our pond is very clear most of the time unless the big mirror carp goes looking for bloodworm .

Calculate the pond cubic ft of water and go into a pond place .Id get a pump and filter over and above the size of the pond ,Alternatively go to pond expert on the web and order one of their combination pump and filter kits .Might get lucky like I did and get sent two sizes up from what you paid for ?

The clear water pundits wont have any plants nor pond life and will install bottom drains to reduce sediment .Not for me ,O naturelle or nothing .

• Like 4

It's all bollocks fishkeepers are like airgunners. Id never had fishtank till about two years ago when I bought a tank and filled it with sea fish never read a single thing about keeping them alive or anything and despite everyone at work whose into fishkeeping laughing saying they'll all be dead in a month I've not lost a single thing to water quality(eating each other well that's a different story).

Koi would live in a puddle of piss imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you watch any koi videos on YouTube its all filtration, uv, bottom drains etc to have the water crystal clear to (if they can afford one) keep a koi thats been grown in a Japanese mud pond and probably not even seen until it gets netted out.

• Like 1

There used to be a shop in melksham called rainbow koi they had a live stream camera in a big pond in the shop were a 90lb koi lived it was the biggest koi in the country at the time, don’t no if it’s still there haven’t been out that way for a few years ?

• Like 1

Draco Drums? Fukk Me!!! Checked Them out! Look like something under the bonnet of a car. Cost about as much as a car!  But, thanks for the heads up, anyway.

Everyone seems to be focusing on fishes ability to live in mud. I'm not interested in that. The SAS can lay in a ditch, for weeks on end. Bet they don't do it when they get home though.

I can't see into this water and I'd rather be able to. Simple. I mentioned koi because those guys are the fanatics. I figure anyone who can keep a small swimming pool drinkable could likely best advise me how to get, and keep, my hundred gallons of Ganges clear.

• Like 1

If draco put you off don’t look at Eric filters, unless you do a raised pond with window in then a decent make box filter and pump will do. Also get the right size uv for the pump as people buy them separate and get ones that’s too weak 

• Like 1

Without filtration or UV to kill algae you are never going to have clear water .Need a circulation too or you will end up with sediment in a corner building up .Just been out and dragged a load of silk weed out so not best time to show clear water but give it a day and I’ll post pics .Here is my setup and a few visible koi .Theres 2 x 20 pound grass carp and a 18 pound mirror in there too .

5EC78232-FBB1-4731-96AE-E64194A7F076.jpeg

B1626C4A-B860-49CA-B287-F6600AE54AA4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gnipper; About a hundred gallons (Hardly qualifies as a 'pond', does it?) In fact, it's to be a cut down IBC / water box.

I've spent weeks on end, studying that many hours of you tube, " How to make a filter with a bucket and ... " It always comes back though to the fact that they're keeping pleco's and I've got this turtle who basically shits out shredded meat.

So, you may now realise why I need something a bit more than most? Brushes have a big appeal to me. I'm more inclined to mechanics than bio. He'd block bio in short order.

Here we are. This has my eye. I especially like the brushes. https://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Kockney-Koi-2500-FG-Pump-Fed-With-Media

I don't want the drama of messing about with buckets and plastic pipes. I'd rather just throw money at it and relax. They make 'Black Box' filters for much less. But, I've never yet got a look inside one.

6 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Here we are. This has my eye. I especially like the brushes. https://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Kockney-Koi-2500-FG-Pump-Fed-With-Media

I don't want the drama of messing about with buckets and plastic pipes. I'd rather just throw money at it and relax. They make 'Black Box' filters for much less. But, I've never yet got a look inside one.

That will do with a uv but black box filters are set up the same, you will get one with a built in uv for that price 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jebao-Filter-Clarifier-Combo-UBF-6000/dp/B004U1HK26/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pond+filter+box+with+uv+light&qid=1598368124&sprefix=pond+filter+&sr=8-6

Edited by BEARINATOR
  • Like 1

Bear; Would a UV be needed, indoors with no sunlight what so ever? I see FD says it stops algae. But, this 'tank' will be surrounded with wood, in the far corner of the room. He'll have a basking lamp, of course. Forget which light they emit.

Hardly an issue, in the scheme of things. They only cost a few quid. No skin off my nose. I'm just trying to keep focused on the fur and meat this fukker shits. Tea strainer over the out pipe would probably be more use than UV.

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'm actively mulling over putting his pump inside a steel mesh cage - to trap the heavy stuff.

• Like 1