Rabbit dog

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 whippet 1/4 irish terrier 

Dog should catch on any land be it fast ground to moors if it cant no worth a f..k

Everytime a dog goes out lamping its in danger of serious injury wherever you go ?

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

A whippet is all you need for rabbits and only down fall is they rip easy ,If I was looking for a pup I'd look to get a non ped whippet from proven parents or a 3quater whippet q Russel or bedlington .

3/4 whippet quarter beddy if I was just rabbiting 

• Like 1
On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 23:32, Jay w said:

What is people opinion on the best cross for a decent lurcher used purely for rabbits day or night 

Id want a lurcher bred from generations of lurchers that know their trade description,id want something that will make 24"-25" as I found them to be better suited to the demands of a lurcher for ferreting and lamping,especially lamping.A dash of collie would be of paramount importance to me.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gaza said:

Only a pup really- 16 months. Be first proper season. 

He only young then , I wouldn't be writing him off as useless and you shouldn't be thinking like that ,hes 18 moon and still a pup like you said , you put stuff in front of him and I'm sure he will do you right .

wish you both well 

A first cross whippet/deerhound was "the" rabbit dog in Oz years ago,great temp,coat and feet.I have found 3/4 whippet,1/4 staghound hard to beat for speed and bush sense but it does make a big difference if they come from rabbiting lines,they seem to work with the ferrets naturally and just know the tricks of rabbiting from birth.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion . My advice would be look for parents who are doing the job you want , look for a pup you like the look of and one who's character you like .

Nowt worse than getting a pup then realising it's not the one you wanted or like the look of it makes bonding with it harder 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

A first cross whippet/deerhound was "the" rabbit dog in Oz years ago,great temp,coat and feet.I have found 3/4 whippet,1/4 staghound hard to beat for speed and bush sense but it does make a big difference if they come from rabbiting lines,they seem to work with the ferrets naturally and just know the tricks of rabbiting from birth.

My brother had first x deerhound x whippet in 80s ,always amazed me how they got whippet to line a dh .

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Chid said:

Everyone is going to have a different opinion . My advice would be look for parents who are doing the job you want , look for a pup you like the look of and one who's character you like .

Nowt worse than getting a pup then realising it's not the one you wanted or like the look of it makes bonding with it harder 

I agree ,Folks say looks don't matter but they do ,you got to pick a pup that you drawn to for right reason not just because you told he/she be good worker .you get more out of each other if you like being in each other's company and looks is what draws you to a pup .

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

My brother had first x deerhound x whippet in 80s ,always amazed me how they got whippet to line a dh .

Yeah, I tried to put my parson Russell over my whip/grey,tried standing the bitch in a hole but couldn't achieve the mating,the dog wanted privacy I think, lol.

• Like 1