2 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Good luck with that one Stav. You might get mobbed by angry vegans though and severely thrashed with cabbage leaves! Gagged with a Quorn sausage!

Funnily enough the Quorn factory is next to the fields where the geese spend their days ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deker said:

Most of mine are Canada geese for pest control, most commonly with the WMR (on the ground).

Despite popular opinion, selecting the right one does make a very pleasant meal!

True mate. Mine go into the food processor to make a meat loaf. That way I have more control of flavour.

Done a bit of pesting them with my WMR. Does a good number on them.

If I’m on a pestie Canada job, 9 times out of 10 I rifle them, still nice now and then to get them flighting In onto the water

ive never been a massive fan of the meat, but a lad that sometimes comes with me likes it, he checks them by squeezing the beaks, he says the softer the beak the younger the bird

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

If I’m on a pestie Canada job, 9 times out of 10 I rifle them, still nice now and then to get them flighting In onto the water

ive never been a massive fan of the meat, but a lad that sometimes comes with me likes it, he checks them by squeezing the beaks, he says the softer the beak the younger the bird

The birds we used to pick up down the taxi rank had soft beaks, but they couldn’t pass as young ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well , as if they have a sixth sense. The geese have disappeared. They do it every year , every year I think , if they are still here September 1st I will have the boys over for a bit of a shoot . 
         Looked for them the last couple of days and not a sign . They have probably found some cut field’s somewhere. ???

7 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well , as if they have a sixth sense. The geese have disappeared. They do it every year , every year I think , if they are still here September 1st I will have the boys over for a bit of a shoot . 
         Looked for them the last couple of days and not a sign . They have probably found some cut field’s somewhere. ???

Same here mate. They've been feeding on stubbles for weeks then gone! Most years I get under them going to roost on waters in an old quarry but I've not noticed anything happening there yet.

I was expecting to see pictures of shot wildfowl, neatly lined up with satisfied shooters kneeling beside them . Then later on pictures of roasted duck with new potatoes and runner beans in the “ what’s cooking “ thread in the general section. 
           What a disappointment.?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

FC5805B2-53A6-40A0-80B9-FB6FEEB60648.jpeg.3dea0ae54769ad7348beb4a4035233fb.jpegD272B511-6F01-462E-8C67-9ADAA684F9E6.jpeg.fcbe9ee6cc732cb84c46d391337d6988.jpegI was up and out stupidly early with me mate... couldn’t see the geese cos of the mist in the vale, recon we were two fields off!

its hit or miss which way they’ll flight.. heard one bloke in the distance rattle off 3 in succession.. by the sounds there were a lot moving but they were the only shots I heard. 

saw a mint moon but the picture is crap:(

Cold Yorkshire morning 

• Like 3

I didn't go this morning but I heard the sound of a double barrel 8 bore belonging to a lad in the village,  4 shots, thats £20 on cartridges but not caught up with him to find out how he went on.  I would be amazed if he has not opened his account on the geese and break the habit of a lifetime.

Phil

• Like 3