The up and coming pups

Id say that's good going. 

Nice pups mate. Whats the dark brindle?

I take pups out as youngsters purely for exposure to the bush. I dont expect them to be near the pointy end until 12-18 months. I expect them to be showing interest and eagerness to be involved though (barking, circling the action, tail up type behavior). 

• Thanks 1

I normally like a dog out youngish ferreting pinning in nets for confidence I don’t let Young dogs do any hard running I wouldn’t lamp a young dog till about 12 months or older properly but would let a slightly younger dog have a little odd run on the lamp but that’s depending on the dog I’ve alway found dogs that have introduced to hunting at a younger age turn out better dogs for hunting but only if success catching is made there beaming with confidence an sharp as catch dogs by the time it comes to running them properly. I also rate using a mentor dog if one’s available for bringing young dogs on depending on your game but there will always be people that moan about doubling up but it’s good schooling if a mentor is guaranteeing a successful catch for a young dogs involvement 

Three young uns on are once, any particular reason? Just curious. Taking a guess it’s either just unlucky timing or you decided to get one of each type straight off? 

Edited to add - sounds like they are doing well given they were only pups at start of the summer, with all this hot weather and hard ground you’ve done well to get a good bit caught by three dogs that age by this point. 

Edited by SheepChaser

Just whenever the grounds soft and more importantly the temperature drops, people see rain & rush out but high temperature can finish a dog just as easy as hard ground.

Ive got a young dog here 17 months showed him a bit back end of last season but he won’t be doing much till October, odd night rabbiting in September but nothing serious. If you’re out alot it’s a long winter for a dog last thing they need is overcooked when it’s still basically summer.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 2

Mine are out from 3 month just watching getting a run on out live bk to Hand then just mooch them let them get there own things up but smallish land hedgy we had loads a. Rain now so I’m out for a run every other day for pups you want hedgy land better if it’s longish slow them a little or get on that clay after heavy rain try making it as easy as possible no good going big land while weathers still warm to much running with bit a warmth spells trouble but few runs right land do them world a good