Castrating a bushing terrier

Any experience on castrating a terrier as to their drive,loss of muscle ,fitness and temperament?My Parson Russell is a great little worker with the whippets but very difficult when the bitches are in heat.I just don't want to ruin his working ability,cheers.

IMG_3159.JPG

Edited by Aussie Whip

My last busher was castrated. He carried his weight differently after but lost no drive. Neither did he become less of a sociopath though which was the point of the exercise. Had to rehome him in the end due to a never ending feud with one of the lurchers. I might as well have left him entire really, he would have made good lurchers put across a running dog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

My last busher was castrated. He carried his weight differently after but lost no drive. Neither did he become less of a sociopath though which was the point of the exercise. Had to rehome him in the end due to a never ending feud with one of the lurchers. I might as well have left him entire really, he would have made good lurchers put across a running dog

Mine gets along with the whippets but is a total psycho in every other respect.It sounds like castration isn't going to calm him so I will probably just put up with the heat cycles.His craziness, while hard to live with makes him a great dog for what I do.You couldn't pet home him he would be PTS in a day lol.I'm still debating a lurcher from him after seeing your Russell/ whippet on here ?.

34 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Mine gets along with the whippets but is a total psycho in every other respect.It sounds like castration isn't going to calm him so I will probably just put up with the heat cycles.His craziness, while hard to live with makes him a great dog for what I do.You couldn't pet home him he would be PTS in a day lol.I'm still debating a lurcher from him after seeing your Russell/ whippet on here ?.

Screenshot_20200824-183658.png.c9a51997bc9d6e0f227b748130fed770.png

The last jack Russell pup I had I gifted to my parents upon my mother's request as my Dad had quit the jags and wouldn't allow her a house dog unless from working parents?

My dad had him castrated.Didnt slow this little dog down any but he doesn't work for a living.You can shave the hair and cut their nuts but terriers are still a pain in the ass.Just my opinion

• Haha 1

We had a cross bred terrier type when I was a kid that was a difficult animal. A fighter with other dogs, a pain with bitches even when not in heat and dodgy with people. Castrating him did not change him. He lived longer than he probably should have due to me defending him but got pts at 8 year old. But he was useless as a pet and later at my attempts to hunt with him and had no breeding worth carrying on.  Does that description fit your terrier? I think that he may warrant a bit more time with his bollocks, taking them off I doubt will change him. They do calm down with age and graft.

3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

But he was useless as a pet and later at my attempts to hunt with him and had no breeding worth carrying on.  Does that description fit your terrier?

No, he is good natured with friends and family and a top busher on rabbits ,fox and even deer but he is like the Tasmanian Devil off the Bugs Bunny cartoons.He can run for around 10km next to a quad bike before slowing down,come home and swing on a rope for an hour for relaxation,yaps at everything and untamable really.He has 2 acres fenced to run around in when at home.I hope he does calm with age because the more he works the fitter and crazier he becomes.I wouldn't part with him though, lol.He is from working Parsons over here.

1 minute ago, stevemac said:

Had my bloke done about 5 yrs ago hasnt stopped him he was a Randy fighting little turd. It was desex or a bullet changed him for the better and ive had a lot of years of good work from him since.

I was hoping for that answer steve,mines gone past the bullet stage but might be worth a try with the balls off.Is he easier to live with generally?

2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I was hoping for that answer steve,mines gone past the bullet stage but might be worth a try with the balls off.Is he easier to live with generally?

Ya hes almost 9 but been a much calmer around the other dogs since takes about 6mnths for their hormones to calm down your bloke looks simular to those mine come from the males can be very full on.

• Like 1
On 25/08/2020 at 00:05, Aussie Whip said:

I dont know if mine is a one off or if that breeding would always throw that way. Either way he has been a cracking dog from day one and is only just slowing down now at the age of 12 or 13 (can't remember exactly) He would still give his best at whatever i pointed him at now, just wouldn't be fair to ask it of him. I have 2 daughters out of him to my bushing bitch, if they turn out to be anything like as good as he has been i will be well pleased. 

• Like 1