Swallowing sticks

I'm on holiday with the Mrs and daughter... Last night the dog stole a few kebabs I made. A load of chewed up skewers and nowt else left over. Today he's been acting a bit forlorn (I did give him a right old bollocking and a slap on the nose tbf) but just now he's had a dirty great big water shite and is gippin. Does that sound like he has something stuck? Last time I had a dog with something stuck, he acted really down was gipping and very tender to touch (I've checked this nob and he's not showing any soreness anywhere around his stomach, chest etc) so I'm not sure. Obviously I'll have him to the vets on the morning, if it continues but I have to admit I'm concerned and not sure. He's not eaten his food today but is drinking water (normally).

1 hour ago, skycat said:

You may not have that much time: kebab sticks can skewer this stomach, perforate it, which usually only has one outcome. Get him to an emergency vet asap: like, now.

As said, I've had this before and the dog was not settling, really restless. Bron is led down, asleep and he's no longer gipping or retching, so it's thrown me off a bit. I have him next to me and nothing more has happened. Maybe I panicked etc. Either way he's gan vets in the morning and I've contacted an emergency vet, local to where we are if needs be ;) He wont be leaving my side all night and I probably won't sleep.... 'kin dogs ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Had him to the vets, x-rayed and checked over, all clear. He thinks he had a bit of a dicky stomach from the campsite water. Apparently it's common in the area that the water they provide for the camper van's isn't totally safe to drink (Shower, washing etc) and that's what I've been giving him the last 3 days ?‍♂️. I've just given him a bit of rice and chicken, so we will see which end it comes out of ?

@DIDO.1 exactly that, I'm not too bothered about the money but more am I right, or am I panicking and going ott ;)

• Like 3

It's always a hard call to make: go to the vet or wait and see. I recently had a similar situation where one of my lurchers presented with exactly the same symptoms as a dog I had years ago which swallowed a pebble which then got stuck in her small intestine: wouldn't eat, throwing up even water, very uncomfortable etc.  The recent one seemed the same, but, like yours, an x ray showed nothing inside her that shouldn't have been there: just a nasty bug which could have been picked up anywhere, with classic signs of nausea (drooling, hiccuping in her throat, swallowing constantly) . Bloody dogs, especially those which scavenge all sorts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, skycat said:

It's always a hard call to make: go to the vet or wait and see. I recently had a similar situation where one of my lurchers presented with exactly the same symptoms as a dog I had years ago which swallowed a pebble which then got stuck in her small intestine: wouldn't eat, throwing up even water, very uncomfortable etc.  The recent one seemed the same, but, like yours, an x ray showed nothing inside her that shouldn't have been there: just a nasty bug which could have been picked up anywhere, with classic signs of nausea (drooling, hiccuping in her throat, swallowing constantly) . Bloody dogs, especially those which scavenge all sorts.

Tbf he's normally pretty good, not really a scavenger but for sure he's an opportunistic cnut lol. He saw an opportunity to nail my supper and he took it... Oh and the Mrs just found the missing skewer, in the bedroom bit of the tent ?

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, mushroom said:

Tbf he's normally pretty good, not really a scavenger but for sure he's an opportunistic cnut lol. He saw an opportunity to nail my supper and he took it... Oh and the Mrs just found the missing skewer, in the bedroom bit of the tent ?

Should of checked the dictionary mate, never trust a lurcher ?

DFAA3C00-F1FB-4F0B-98C4-6760B8B5EDC5.png