New shottie under 4k

9 hours ago, Alsone said:

Everyone's different however it not about muscle memory but how comfortable you feel with the gun. The balance of both berreta and browning family guns is fundamentally different. I have now doubt anyone that can shoot can shoot either. However, most find they're more comfortable with one than the other and the more comfortable and natural a gun feels in your hands, the better it swings and the better you shoot. I know of plenty of people who bought 1st and then a year down the line tried the other brand and instantly liked it more and shot better, with instant regret for buying 1st. As said we're all different but when spending £4K, I'd tend to err on the side of caution and spend a few weeks at a shoot establishing what feels most natural and easiest to you before buying.

When buying a gun , most haven’t got the luxury of spending “a few weeks at a shoot” deciding which to go for . 
          Most people, myself included, listen to advice , filter out the BS , and then get the gun they like the look of , that fits them and then get on with it . If one was to buy a second hand Browning, Beretta, or Miroku or Perazzi, and down the line you couldn’t get on with it , so what ? It’s not the most “expensive mistake “ of your life . These guns hold their price well . Sell it and get another. In fact , isn’t that what most of us do anyway? Convince ourselves that we will shoot better with a better or different gun . 

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I’ve been stood behind you at the deli counter in my local Tesco , rolling my eyes as you try every bit of cheddar before you decided that you would have to go away and think about it . ?

Obviously if it’s o/u it’s gay, because it’s got its barrels on the wrong way round ?

I went to a simulated day with a mate who hadn’t done much shooting . First drive he burnt is finger on the barrels and got a big blister . The second drive was in the grouse butts and the clays were

Pesonally I know of very few people who've just gone out and bought a gun, and of the ones I do know, most have regretted it. Most people get invited to a clay shoot. Find they enjoy it, go back a few times, try other people's guns in the process, find out what they like, and then buy, all in all a process of a few months usually. By all means go out and just buy. However, it's the old saying, buy with haste and regret at leisure.

Browning and Berretta and related group products all balance very differently. You only have at best a 50:50 chance of getting it right.

13 hours ago, Alsone said:

Pesonally I know of very few people who've just gone out and bought a gun, and of the ones I do know, most have regretted it. Most people get invited to a clay shoot. Find they enjoy it, go back a few times, try other people's guns in the process, find out what they like, and then buy, all in all a process of a few months usually. By all means go out and just buy. However, it's the old saying, buy with haste and regret at leisure.

Browning and Berretta and related group products all balance very differently. You only have at best a 50:50 chance of getting it right.

I think I’ve been stood behind you at the deli counter in my local Tesco , rolling my eyes as you try every bit of cheddar before you decided that you would have to go away and think about it . ?

• Haha 8

Cheddar doesn't cost £4k.

I don't care if you get the popularity vote on here from the smilies. Berreta and Browning balance fundamentally different and anyone who spends £4k on a gun without trying it to find out if it suits them is an idiot. I'm out of this thread as clearly there isn't any common sense.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

Cheddar doesn't cost £4k.

I don't care if you get the popularity vote on here from the smilies. Berreta and Browning balance fundamentally different and anyone who spends £4k on a gun without trying it to find out if it suits them is an idiot. I'm out of this thread as clearly there isn't any common sense.

I'm with you buddy. There is no way I could spend that amount without trying at least an example but more than that...why spend so much on a gun with the barrels fitted so incorrectly in the first place! If we were meant to shoot superimposed guns our eyes would be thus also!

Nonsense.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

To be honest I do find a difference in balance & handling between Beretta / Perazzi  and  Browning / Miroku, now the point is that theree is nothing wrong with any only that the FEEL or balance / handling will suit one person but not the next when handling these guns.  I think anyone buying a gun of this sort of cost should, as I said earlier, visit a clay ground where you can try a few guns despite the fact that it may be a number of miles to get there as £4k is a lot of money and you want to make the right choice.

The sad reality is that if you are buying a new gun, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to shoot  it before splashing the cash.  This is not unusual, many rfds will allow you to borrow a s/h gun with some arrangement being sorted such as a deposit and your sgc being copied etc etc.  On a new gun however the best method is to contact the importer, for example GMK are the Beretta importer for the UK so contact them, tell them which gun you are most interested in and ask if any rfd or even themselves have a demo gun for you to try.

Many of us have an array of ideas for the best policy, for me, I am a big believer in talking to people who seroiusly know what they are talking about and are in a position to actually help you in your plan and talking to importers can be very productive as they organise many open events, exhibitions, road shows, rfd demo days and of course game fairs so DO NOT be afraid to ask to speak to the sales director or managing director because they want to sell another gun.  I have done this many times for different products involved in work or pleasure and you would be amazed at some of the deals I have sorted.  Give it a try.

Phil 

• Like 1

During the season I do a fair bit of loading on a couple of commercial shoots . ( not this season, social distancing) . And one of the first jobs I do on a day is check the guns . I check the cartridges are the same calibre as the gun , ( it can happen that they bring the wrong guns of cartridges) and then a quick once over . I can’t help but dry mount the guns and swing them around at imaginary high pheasants. I then think , I could shoot that , or you can chuck that in the skip . It literally takes me seconds to have an option whether or not I like it . All good guns should balance and swing nicely, that is the art of the gun maker . If you are spending 4K on a gun , it will handle well . Whenever I’ve bought guns I’ve just gone in the dealers and dry mounted and swung it around. Different brands of guns will feel different, palm swell,  barrel length is another factor, but if you like the gun and it feels comfortable to mount , then you will be able to shoot with it . 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

During the season I do a fair bit of loading on a couple of commercial shoots . ( not this season, social distancing) . And one of the first jobs I do on a day is check the guns . I check the cartridges are the same calibre as the gun , ( it can happen that they bring the wrong guns of cartridges) and then a quick once over . I can’t help but dry mount the guns and swing them around at imaginary high pheasants. I then think , I could shoot that , or you can chuck that in the skip . It literally takes me seconds to have an option whether or not I like it . All good guns should balance and swing nicely, that is the art of the gun maker . If you are spending 4K on a gun , it will handle well . Whenever I’ve bought guns I’ve just gone in the dealers and dry mounted and swung it around. Different brands of guns will feel different, palm swell,  barrel length is another factor, but if you like the gun and it feels comfortable to mount , then you will be able to shoot with it . 

With experience I totally agree and like you, I can and do pick up a gun and simply know if the gun is a gun I would be happy with but I have been clay shooting for over 45 years and handling shotguns from the age of 12 and with that in mind I think you are in a similar position (perhaps not as old as this ole tart) so experience comes to the fore naturally.  

phil

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, philpot said:

With experience I totally agree and like you, I can and do pick up a gun and simply know if the gun is a gun I would be happy with but I have been clay shooting for over 45 years and handling shotguns from the age of 12 and with that in mind I think you are in a similar position (perhaps not as old as this ole tart) so experience comes to the fore naturally.  

phil

And this is also a point I made earlier, that unless you know how to shoot and I mean really feel comfortable shooting, so it’s effortless . Then  really you don’t know what you are looking for in handling characteristics. 
       It seems to me that Rabid wants to spoil himself and get a gun that makes a statement and one he can feel proud to own and will be the envy of fellow shooters. I feel he should get one that he really likes the look of , that fits him and then set about honing his shooting skill with that gun . 

• Like 1
On 04/09/2020 at 00:21, philpot said:

To be honest I do find a difference in balance & handling between Beretta / Perazzi  and  Browning / Miroku, now the point is that theree is nothing wrong with any only that the FEEL or balance / handling will suit one person but not the next when handling these guns.  I think anyone buying a gun of this sort of cost should, as I said earlier, visit a clay ground where you can try a few guns despite the fact that it may be a number of miles to get there as £4k is a lot of money and you want to make the right choice.

The sad reality is that if you are buying a new gun, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to shoot  it before splashing the cash.  This is not unusual, many rfds will allow you to borrow a s/h gun with some arrangement being sorted such as a deposit and your sgc being copied etc etc.  On a new gun however the best method is to contact the importer, for example GMK are the Beretta importer for the UK so contact them, tell them which gun you are most interested in and ask if any rfd or even themselves have a demo gun for you to try.

Many of us have an array of ideas for the best policy, for me, I am a big believer in talking to people who seroiusly know what they are talking about and are in a position to actually help you in your plan and talking to importers can be very productive as they organise many open events, exhibitions, road shows, rfd demo days and of course game fairs so DO NOT be afraid to ask to speak to the sales director or managing director because they want to sell another gun.  I have done this many times for different products involved in work or pleasure and you would be amazed at some of the deals I have sorted.  Give it a try.

Phil 

I said I was out but a quick return.

This exactly. ? You're right, you're not going to be able to try a new gun although I have heard of the odd shop with a clay shoot out the back and trial guns. However, just going to a regular clay shoot and chatting to someone about balance and differences between the brands, as you shoot a round will often get them to offer you to try out their gun on that stand. It's a great way to get to try different guns for free. You can also always be cheaky and ask if subtlty doesn't work.

On 04/09/2020 at 19:57, shovel leaner said:

And this is also a point I made earlier, that unless you know how to shoot and I mean really feel comfortable shooting, so it’s effortless . Then  really you don’t know what you are looking for in handling characteristics. 
       It seems to me that Rabid wants to spoil himself and get a gun that makes a statement and one he can feel proud to own and will be the envy of fellow shooters. I feel he should get one that he really likes the look of , that fits him and then set about honing his shooting skill with that gun . 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Learning to wear an uncomfortable shoe because it looks nice, doesn't make it wear better.

There are more important aspects than aesthetics. Aesthetics don't make you shoot better. A better balance will improve your scores. Personally, I say find what suits brand wise then look for the grade of gun that impresses. It's not that hard to find what you like aesthetically with that money because each manufacturer ie Beretta or Browning, is part of a group of brands as you no doubt know, so there are several brands made by each of the respective sides that balance alike. eg Browning and Miroku are very very similar in balance, yet with Miroku being a bit cheaper, you might get another decoration grade higher for the same cash if you go Miroku. I'd say find the balance, then find the gun that impresses. Just my 2 cents.

12 hours ago, Alsone said:

I said I was out but a quick return.

This exactly. ? You're right, you're not going to be able to try a new gun although I have heard of the odd shop with a clay shoot out the back and trial guns. However, just going to a regular clay shoot and chatting to someone about balance and differences between the brands, as you shoot a round will often get them to offer you to try out their gun on that stand. It's a great way to get to try different guns for free. You can also always be cheaky and ask if subtlty doesn't work.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Learning to wear an uncomfortable shoe because it looks nice, doesn't make it wear better.

There are more important aspects than aesthetics. Aesthetics don't make you shoot better. A better balance will improve your scores. Personally, I say find what suits brand wise then look for the grade of gun that impresses. It's not that hard to find what you like aesthetically with that money because each manufacturer ie Beretta or Browning, is part of a group of brands as you no doubt know, so there are several brands made by each of the respective sides that balance alike. eg Browning and Miroku are very very similar in balance, yet with Miroku being a bit cheaper, you might get another decoration grade higher for the same cash if you go Miroku. I'd say find the balance, then find the gun that impresses. Just my 2 cents.

You didn't mention Baikal ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3