Mackerel are in.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just made it home from a 2 night  shark fishing trip with a buddy.After the long drive staying up 2 nights, paddling bloody baits out at night,We managed one run and came off.Mr Walshie I could use so

Dirty dead eyed b*****ds .......

Bet it wasn't as big as the one Ken hooked at the Wales comp. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

On 15/08/2020 at 11:23, walshie said:

We went out for a few hours yesterday afternoon after some mackerel.

The first spot we tried had joey mackerel attacking the rig before it had got even halfway down. We were bringing in strings of 5 every time we dropped a line over. We moved out about 1/4 mile and although the catch rate went down, the average size went up considerably. 

We caught plenty to eat and were thinking of heading back when I felt the tell tale twitch of a mackerel attacking the feather. Winding up it felt like a fair size one again when all of a sudden my line shot off to the left. It felt like I'd hooked a submarine. I only had a 12-20lb rod and 30lb line as we weren't expecting anything except 1lb mackerel at most. Whatever this was slowed and turned but was still taking line against the clutch.

I wound the clutch up a bit and I could feel the fish diving for the bottom. In all my time fishing i have never felt anything as heavy or strong as this as the rod went from pointing nearly skyward to the tip in the water with each lunge.

After about 5 minutes I thought I was winning. Pump, pump, tiny bit more clutch.......

20200814_195148.jpg.ea45f1b2a98d94cbdb225ed001130198.jpg

And the rod broke.:laugh: I nearly fell over backwards but my biggest concern was if I could land this monster or at least get it to the surface with half a rod. It was still on the end of my line uit 30 seconds later, the line went slack and it was gone, trace and all. 

I thought the biggest thing in the bay was bass, but this was no bass. I wonder what it was. I shan't be swimming there just in case. 

Am gutted for you pal a was gutted myself too reading your post then waiting to see this big old lump you'd played and managed to get in lol. Maybe next time pal 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Am gutted for you pal a was gutted myself too reading your post then waiting to see this big old lump you'd played and managed to get in lol. Maybe next time pal 

Talking to Walshie mate, be realistic. ?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought mackerel season would be over by now. We went out for a spin in the boat yesterday.  I didn't intend to fish, but there was a rod and feathers on board from last time so I gave it a whirl as it was proper calm and sunny so nice to drift about for a bit. 

Thought I'd share a couple of pics.

DSCN1523.JPG.2cf94a3ed190332d0c5608b8d3ad6a3f.JPG

DSCN1527.JPG.91dfe99c4a7408e2e64c50b9adbb717b.JPG

I caught 30 mackerel in 15 minutes before this little chap poked his head up and it all went quiet.

DSCN1552a.jpg.c864a321ec7b918aefbed1daa02393b7.jpg

Bit of a blast around and home for tea.

DSCN1540.JPG.e1485e998306cf3ec0baa45a1ba599c7.JPG

5 hours ago, walshie said:

I thought mackerel season would be over by now. We went out for a spin in the boat yesterday.  I didn't intend to fish, but there was a rod and feathers on board from last time so I gave it a whirl as it was proper calm and sunny so nice to drift about for a bit. 

I caught 30 mackerel in 15 minutes before this little chap poked his head up and it all went quiet.

Well done mate, Mackerel bit scarce at the moment hope they come back with the big tides.

As for them bloody seals they are every where now, think thats why we don't get many Plaice now.

If any body is going to Hopes Nose or Berry Head Fisheries and Police are enforcing the minimal size and making people throw back undersize fish.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Arry said:

Well done mate, Mackerel bit scarce at the moment hope they come back with the big tides.

As for them bloody seals they are every where now, think thats why we don't get many Plaice now.

If any body is going to Hopes Nose or Berry Head Fisheries and Police are enforcing the minimal size and making people throw back undersize fish.

Cheers Arry

went there a couple of weeks ago arry…..like a third world country.i was on the boat by the quarry watching them kill small joeys...real shame 

10 hours ago, Mossberg12 said:

went there a couple of weeks ago arry…..like a third world country.i was on the boat by the quarry watching them kill small joeys...real shame 

Yeah mate they are clamping down on the eastern europeans camping out comical fishing, the b*****ds been f***ing it up for months. locals imitated  and cant fish. At least now its f****d their game up with refrigerated lorries parked on the road above with them ferrying  mackerel up all day long. Just be aware of minimal sizes. which I think is 200mm if any you guys going down to them marks.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
On 15/09/2020 at 10:05, walshie said:

Iv'e caught the odd makeral a few times in november around strumble head light house spinning a sand eel for pollock around there so some might stay around all year if the waters warm enough as there's plenty of food for them there and which island is it Walshie?,as for seals when they pop up next to you on the rocks it can make the old arse twitch up that's for sure..

47 minutes ago, fireman said:

Iv'e caught the odd makeral a few times in november around strumble head light house spinning a sand eel for pollock around there so some might stay around all year if the waters warm enough as there's plenty of food for them there and which island is it Walshie?,as for seals when they pop up next to you on the rocks it can make the old arse twitch up that's for sure..

Cardigan Island. 

23 hours ago, fireman said:

We get them all year down here now mate, last year we had them on new years day

• Like 2
4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

We get them all year down here now mate, last year we had them on new years day

We don't get them at all from the coast here in south norfolk or suffolk,waters like a curry arse on a sunday morning :cry:,further out where the waters a bit clearer they find a few and north norfolk they catch them from the shore but feck a 100 + mile round trip for some when i got bass a lot closer..

1 hour ago, fireman said:

We don't get them at all from the coast here in south norfolk or suffolk,waters like a curry arse on a sunday morning :cry:,further out where the waters a bit clearer they find a few and north norfolk they catch them from the shore but feck a 100 + mile round trip for some when i got bass a lot closer..

Try a pop up from the shore, bet you'd get em