Any tilers on here.

Feck me rusty you must love work, just dot and dab it with plasterboard, but if the tiles are stuck firm and straight I would recon it’s ok to go over them, have hacked off hundreds of bathrooms over the years and many of them had more than one layer of tiles on ?

• Like 1

Ply has a bad habit of taking on moisture and if the Dpm isn’t spot on you’ve got a problem .Weve just done a floor in a huge house near Bath that some tiler thought was ok to ply .

Only advice mate no need for the racist imogee.

12 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

What's under the tiles Jetro?

.......... Are they concrete floors or wood floors?

Concrete jonjon.

Maybe I'd be just as well off to lift them and clean the adhesive as best I can.

Atb j 

6 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

All mines are onto screwed down ply. All are absolutely fine. Why would it lift never seen anybody say that before ?

I had a new bathroom done there that was wooden floors. Tiler told me to stick down 12mm ply before he started and have it screwed down so it wouldn't budge. This was only 6 month ago

Done my downstairs bathroom and kitchen myself. 12mm ply screwed to f**k onto the floor tiles in top. None have moved in 6 years

Your tiler was cutting corners mate .Bathrooms need to be decked out with cement board over T and G boards .

Take it or leave ,no sweat here .

Tile backer is a couple of quid more than ply and designed for the job, can be screwed down or laid on an adhesive (cement board).

Ive used ply before and never had an issue, but i have also replaced loads of bathrooms with tiles on ply that have popped of as soon as i start gunning them up, also sometimes the laminated ply sheet itself has come apart. as above check for door clearances and appliances will fit if going on top.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, jetro said:

Concrete jonjon.

Maybe I'd be just as well off to lift them and clean the adhesive as best I can.

Atb j 

If I was doing the job, I'd take up the old ones first - if there's only 1 layer of tiles down already and they're all sound, you could go straight over the top. It'll make the job quicker and cleaner.

As has already been said, you might need to sort the clearance on a door or 2.

If you take them up, depending how rough you leave the floor, you might want to put down a leveling compound before tiling - if you go that route, use a tilers primer  (not PVA) over the new surface before tiling.

15 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

If I was doing the job, I'd take up the old ones first - if there's only 1 layer of tiles down already and they're all sound, you could go straight over the top. It'll make the job quicker and cleaner.

As has already been said, you might need to sort the clearance on a door or 2.

If you take them up, depending how rough you leave the floor, you might want to put down a leveling compound before tiling - if you go that route, use a tilers primer  (not PVA) over the new surface before tiling.

????

Thanks 

Atb j 

• Like 1