Living in the past

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in 51 and it was a good time to live. We had f**k all but far more neighbourly the back door was never locked. Made our own entertainment as kids got together buggered off to the woods all day no

Mid 40s to 1950, think after the war people still cared for each other had a strong sense of community and patriotism, plus you have the swinging 60s ahead of you when your at your peak, a man was sti

I might be grafting but the neighbors aren't drinking cider and sniffing coke while I'm growing veg or working I  the field.. They wouldn't survive..its worth grafting to get rid of that shower o

Maybe ive misread the question but i thought it was what era in history would you like to have lived in not would you like to have lived yesterday or today.

Personally ive always fancied those wild west days of late 1800,s America when men pitted their wits against each other.... it all looked very interesting in the films anyway ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Maybe ive misread the question but i thought it was what era in history would you like to have lived in not would you like to have lived yesterday or today.

Personally ive always fancied those wild west days of late 1800,s America when men pitted their wits against each other.... it all looked very interesting in the films anyway ?

I fancy that  era also but wouldn't HONESTLY wanted to live back then.A paper cut could still kill you.

• Like 1

If it was going back to a point in time from the present, after placing a few bets in more recent times it would have to be the middle east when Jesus of Nazareth was around and find out what the craic was with all that. Seeing the building of the pyramids and Stonehenge would be interesting. I imagine some things would not have changed,  slaves "job's a joke, we'll never get finished on time!", high priests " howay, come on!".

• Like 2

I grew up right on the edge of what I regard as change for the worse .Born 65 so saw all the freedoms we had with dogs until the silly ban .Someone mentioned the internet and I’d agree this is one of the major turning points in world history .People being able to see beyond their own limitations and wanting more than is practical or achievable within their own means .If I could of lived in any century previous I know I wouldn’t of achieved what I have today though ,in travel ,work or happiness ,met the people I have or worked dogs the places I have but back then I was just as happy walking the local places not knowing ant better .

Someone writes of humans as a herd animal ,can’t disagree more strongly on that one .I know several people who live solitary lives and no worse for it and I sometimes hanker for that myself .

Will be lads on here that can identify with that I’m sure .

Life is what it is ,we are here for the blink of an eye so don’t waste it ,live dreams and travel .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Someone writes about poverty etc and I can’t help but think some are just born to be culls whereas some shine .

We can’t all be equal that’s for sure because evolution favours those who want to be evolved and dosnt allow for slow starters ,sickness or background .

On 13/08/2020 at 14:50, smithie said:

I'd like to go  back far enough that it was a time when most had a home and small piece of land thay had to work every day just to exist and the  pass down to the children so they could survive. Horse and cart with haystacks In the field waiting to be brought In by the near community as well as your family. 

No wars and a nice community spirit

Dont know if it ever was but it sounds  good to me

Can't believe you put that' smithie lol

• Haha 1

Also romantic thinking how good it might have been in the past. Unless you were aristocracy I don't think it would have been that much fun. My father once told me if he never tipped his cap to the Squire his father would be threatened with being kicked out of their cottage. You were bit short of their slaves their canon folder in wars taxed too the hilt while they lived in luxury. Be thank full for what we have now, if you want to progress you can now. There was no way out back then. they were the masters. When I first worked on the buildings I nearly got the sack once. The site agent was whistling at me and I deliberately ignored him, he came up to me  fuming saying did you not hear me whistling. I did but I'm not your f***ing dog I replied, times were changing I new I was a good worker and could get another job up the road. The times of bowing down to he boss was coming to an end, the build sites was the first. But if you where worth employing it went before you, you earned a reputation  as a worker. If you were worth your salt you went to a site ask for a start if they could not start you they would ring other sites. A grafter was looked up to some one you aspired to be. Good times but going backwards now.

I am so lucky I lived in these times.

Cheers Arry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Those were days Arry .

Jack a job in the morning and be in work same afternoon .I had same issue with bosses thinking they were special .Now I’m the boss I wouldn’t expect anyone to do anything I havnt done myself and also speak to them as an equal .Might need a job from them one day lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Those were days Arry .

Jack a job in the morning and be in work same afternoon .I had same issue with bosses thinking they were special .Now I’m the boss I wouldn’t expect anyone to do anything I havnt done myself and also speak to them as an equal .Might need a job from them one day lol.

Good mind set that mate.

Cheers Arry