Living in the past

4 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Personally ,I am  more free than ever ,my voice ,opinion ,complaints can be heard and not stifled ,because I am a working class no mark .

Much ,much ,healthier than my parents at the same age ,and have already outlived some of my grand parents 

I can't say , "anything I want " but I can say a lot more than previous generations .

I feel as safe as any of my forebears felt 

My kids are safer ,with more life opportunities than ever 

See, I don’t recognise that world you describe at all mate ?......it’s why it’s fascinating to read others views.

By the way, I’m not saying you are wrong, it’s just different views.

I will agree that kids horizons are bigger and that’s a good thing but I genuinely fear the world they have to enter into.

As I said, I think we are in a dark time and I don’t know where it’s going to end up......everywhere I look I see madness.

Maybe it was always that way ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in 51 and it was a good time to live. We had f**k all but far more neighbourly the back door was never locked. Made our own entertainment as kids got together buggered off to the woods all day no

Mid 40s to 1950, think after the war people still cared for each other had a strong sense of community and patriotism, plus you have the swinging 60s ahead of you when your at your peak, a man was sti

I might be grafting but the neighbors aren't drinking cider and sniffing coke while I'm growing veg or working I  the field.. They wouldn't survive..its worth grafting to get rid of that shower o

Early 1800s America.

......... I like the idea of riding around the wilderness on a horse all day and sleeping by a camp fire at night. Then moseying into a town for a couple of bourbons, a bath and a happy ending from some ol' sort  :yes:

Or, I'd like to go back to the 40s and meet my grandparents - see what they were like in their prime.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

See, I don’t recognise that world you describe at all mate ?......it’s why it’s fascinating to read others views.

I will agree that kids horizons are bigger and that’s a good thing but I genuinely fear the world they have to enter into.

As I said, I think we are in a dark time and I don’t know where it’s going to end up......everywhere I look I see madness.

You spent a lot of your younger days chasing skirt and drinking with mates.

Feeling fearless as we all do at that age

Nowadays you have slowed down because of age and have noticed what's around you.

Massive difference in how we look at the world.being young and older 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

I’d say your friends are exactly where the modern western system wants them to be, the fact you are not in that position mate is not doubt down to fate plus a decent dose of hard work.

You saw a chance to go and earn your money away from western society and you made that sacrifice and took the chance......maybe it would have been different if you had been say a store manager in a high street in Gateshead or somewhere ? 

I could be classed as a fatalist, "what will be, will be," but I don't believe your future is planned. You make decisions, they pan out or they don't. If they don't, re-assess and try a different route.

Looking back, I would have loved to have been an academic, but my social background precluded that. I allways had a mechanical aptitude, even as a child with my Meccano set ! LOL !

I was lucky that my first boss when I was an apprentice must have seen something in me, and insisted I did both mechanical and electrical , and two day realise and two night school.

So, yes, fate, luck, being in the right place, combined with hard work, a thirst for knowledge and being willing to try something completely different worked out for me.

But who knows, I may have made a half decent middle manager in a shop in Gateshead ! LOL !

Lifes been good to me, but has also heaped shit on me that I wouldn't want happening to my worst enemy, but just remember what the wise man told the king; "This too, shall pass"........

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

Human kind by Rutger Bergman is the book for you Wilfy.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The Palaeolithic or maybe ancient/classical Greece.

Yeah ! Imagine having a stroll round Athens back in the day ,listening to some of the best minds ever ..must be what heaven's like.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Yeah ! Imagine having a stroll round Athens back in the day ,listening to some of the best minds ever ..must be what heaven's like.

Quite similar to spending Friday night on THL 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

You're right !

I try not to look back through rose tinted glasses, and yes the 60's were great and I was at the right age to enjoy every moment of them, but I've seen life , in general, improve greatly since the 50's

I'm pretty stoical and frugal, but happy, I have friends and family who work all hours, won't start a family because they both have to work, but both have new leased cars every three years, live in four bedroom houses thought there's just the two of them, go on exotic holidays, eat in fancy restaurants, but are up to their eyes in debt and are terrified of losing their jobs. They aren't happy, but that's their choice.

Cheers.

And that’s the problem with this world. People think they need all the fancy things to live a good life. Not for me roof over my head and food on the plate is number 1. I got cheapest cars I can afford and maintain my self. Cheapest phone contract. On a 5 year old phone. People my age with everything look to be living a amazing life with the material things. But can’t afford to scratch there arse. Money spent on cars phones and other things a month would be paying a mortgage 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, WILF said:

I think, perhaps, that the fact that you have the time, and freedom, to think about and form these opinions shows that its not so bad just now.

In the not so distant past you'd have been so exhausted from working on someone else's land to provide for whatever family disease and / or war had left you with that you wouldn't have had the time to even think about it. 

Its true that the world is in no great shape now but I think its been that way for quite some time and unlikely to get much better or worse.

All we can do is make the very best of what we've got and not waste our lives wishing for something different.

My opinion anyway, for what its worth.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

People get too caught up in what bads going on around them. Sure theres crime and poverty around me. But I've got a job, ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ wife and kid

Same mate

• Haha 1
On 13/08/2020 at 11:55, jetro said:

If you live in any part of history, when would it be and why.

For me it would be when they were building newgrange in the Boyne valley. 

Just to see how and why they did it. 

I know a bit of a silly question, but it makes a nice change, 

Atb j 

Bollocks your going to set a booby trap device to kill king billy before he wins, awwwwwwww jetro i didnt think you got involved in all that hahahaha

• Haha 1