Living in the past

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in 51 and it was a good time to live. We had f**k all but far more neighbourly the back door was never locked. Made our own entertainment as kids got together buggered off to the woods all day no

Mid 40s to 1950, think after the war people still cared for each other had a strong sense of community and patriotism, plus you have the swinging 60s ahead of you when your at your peak, a man was sti

I might be grafting but the neighbors aren't drinking cider and sniffing coke while I'm growing veg or working I  the field.. They wouldn't survive..its worth grafting to get rid of that shower o

9 minutes ago, smithie said:

Grab if you lived close enough we could chase down some dear on mi hos and cart and you could throw bull x of back ???

Not exactly primitive but a step back in years for you lol

You wouldn't have the time nor energy after digging your fields over all day. ?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I thought maybe the mid 19th to mid 20th century........

Then I remembered rickets, T.B., kids down mines and up chimneys, real poverty, ( not the type they complain about today), slums, wars where working class were just cannon fodder, no NHS or dole money;

Then I think maybe today's not so bad ! LOL !

Cheers.

Spot on charts, yep these are deff better times, unless there a WW3  , that  wipe out most people. ?

19 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I thought maybe the mid 19th to mid 20th century........

Then I remembered rickets, T.B., kids down mines and up chimneys, real poverty, ( not the type they complain about today), slums, wars where working class were just cannon fodder, no NHS or dole money;

Then I think maybe today's not so bad ! LOL !

Cheers.

Today is total shit to be honest mate, the list of MAJOR things wrong is so massive it’s unbelievable.

We still have masses of people in real poverty, we still have TB and what’s more we have a mountain more things that are a hell of a lot worse than the things you listed there.

I think we are living in one of the darkest political, social, moral and humanitarian times in human history.......the fact we can do it with internet and a smart telly don’t mean it’s not too bad........it’s terrible if we are honest about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

Today is total shit to be honest mate, the list of MAJOR things wrong is so massive it’s unbelievable.

We still have masses of people in real poverty, we still have TB and what’s more we have a mountain more things that are a hell of a lot worse than the things you listed there.

I think we are living in one of the darkest political, social, moral and humanitarian times in human history.......the fact we can do it with internet and a smart telly don’t mean it’s not too bad........it’s terrible if we are honest about it. 

I guess it all depends on your outlook.

I was born in 1952, some things were still rationed then, we lived in a slum in Newcastle city centre.

When the slums were cleared, we were moved out to a new development only about five miles away, but it could have been another world, fresh air, grass, houses that had inside toilets, hot and cold running water, gas central heating, it was honestly like winning the lottery !

I remember my dad lining up at the shipyard or factory gate, only to be told "no work today", and dole was meant to stop you from starving, not a way of life like it is today !

I remember going to school with kids from poor families that had their heads shaved and painted purple because of nits ! They may aswell have had a sign on their back saying "bully me " !

The only phone was in a box full of piss at the end of the street, usually vandalised.

I could go on and on.

I can't remember who said "you've never had it so good", but I tend to agree !

Cheers.

• Like 2

There is definitely a lot wrong in today's world ,but in the West there has her been a better time to be alive ,ever ,

Real poverty is decreasing every day ,a lot of life shortening illnesses are very nearly history ,technology has made life a whole lot easier and less time consuming ,the comfort people enjoy and opportunities people have are greater than ever ,your voice can be heard ,whatever your background .

If you look hard at things that are considered problems now ,I have to ask myself ,are they really problems ? 

" with all it's sham ,drudgery and broken dreams , it is still a beautiful world ,he careful ,strive to be happy " 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I guess it all depends on your outlook.

I was born in 1952, some things were still rationed then, we lived in a slum in Newcastle city centre.

When the slums were cleared, we were moved out to a new development only about five miles away, but it could have been another world, fresh air, grass, houses that had inside toilets, hot and cold running water, gas central heating, it was honestly like winning the lottery !

I remember my dad lining up at the shipyard or factory gate, only to be told "no work today", and dole was meant to stop you from starving, not a way of life like it is today !

I remember going to school with kids from poor families that had their heads shaved and painted purple because of nits ! They may aswell have had a sign on their back saying "bully me " !

The only phone was in a box full of piss at the end of the street, usually vandalised.

I could go on and on.

I can't remember who said "you've never had it so good", but I tend to agree !

Cheers.

Despite the doom & gloom we have things relatively great. 

I'm not sure though if that makes us any happier mind. 

Edited by Greb147
Just now, Greb147 said:

Despite the doom & gloom we have things relatively great. 

I'm not sure though if that makes us any happier though. 

You're right !

I try not to look back through rose tinted glasses, and yes the 60's were great and I was at the right age to enjoy every moment of them, but I've seen life , in general, improve greatly since the 50's

I'm pretty stoical and frugal, but happy, I have friends and family who work all hours, won't start a family because they both have to work, but both have new leased cars every three years, live in four bedroom houses thought there's just the two of them, go on exotic holidays, eat in fancy restaurants, but are up to their eyes in debt and are terrified of losing their jobs. They aren't happy, but that's their choice.

Cheers.

• Like 3

I find this type of conversation very interesting lads.

I get where you are coming from, I really do however there’s a word that always crops up in these conversations and it’s “I”........”I’m alright so everything’s alright” but is it ?........is everything alright ? 
Because, I personally don’t think it is......we wasn’t meant to live in our own isolated bubble, we were meant to be part of something.

Ever heard that old phrase “A village raises a child” ? 
Well it does, the world extends beyond your house and garden with the fence round it and the CCTV cameras.

Are you more free or less free now ?

Are you healthier or is your body full of chemical shite from your food and the air you breath ?

Are you safer ?

Are your kids safer ?

Can you say what you want as a free man?......anything you want ? 

Are your communities better or worse ? 

The answer to all the above is “no”.......

We all have a shit load of money.......but what do we have of value ? 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

You're right !

I try not to look back through rose tinted glasses, and yes the 60's were great and I was at the right age to enjoy every moment of them, but I've seen life , in general, improve greatly since the 50's

I'm pretty stoical and frugal, but happy, I have friends and family who work all hours, won't start a family because they both have to work, but both have new leased cars every three years, live in four bedroom houses thought there's just the two of them, go on exotic holidays, eat in fancy restaurants, but are up to their eyes in debt and are terrified of losing their jobs. They aren't happy, but that's their choice.

Cheers.

I’d say your friends are exactly where the modern western system wants them to be, the fact you are not in that position mate is no doubt down to fate plus a decent dose of hard work.

You saw a chance to go and earn your money away from western society and you made that sacrifice and took the chance......maybe it would have been different if you had been say a store manager in a high street in Gateshead or somewhere ? 

Edited by WILF

Personally ,I am  more free than ever ,my voice ,opinion ,complaints can be heard and not stifled ,because I am a working class no mark .

Much ,much ,healthier than my parents at the same age ,and have already outlived some of my grand parents 

I can't say , "anything I want " but I can say a lot more than previous generations .

I feel as safe as any of my forebears felt 

My kids are safer ,with more life opportunities than ever 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, WILF said:

I find this type of conversation very interesting lads.

I get where you are coming from, I really do however there’s a word that always crops up in these conversations and it’s “I”........”I’m alright so everything’s alright” but is it ?........is everything alright ? 
Because, I personally don’t think it is......we wasn’t meant to live in our own isolated bubble, we were meant to be part of something.

Ever heard that old phrase “A village raises a child” ? 
Well it does, the world extends beyond your house and garden with the fence round it and the CCTV cameras.

Are you more free or less free now ?

Are you healthier or is your body full of chemical shite from your food and the air you breath ?

Are you safer ?

Are your kids safer ?

Can you say what you want as a free man?......anything you want ? 

Are your communities better or worse ? 

The answer to all the above is “no”.......

We all have a shit load of money.......but what do we have of value ? 

We are loyal to the pound and that's it in a nutshell. 

The more you earn the more you spend, the higher the expectations the higher the stress levels. 

The more time we spend on social media the less time we spend with our families.

Nowadays we are busy doing f**k all with no time to appreciate what we have got. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, maxhardcore said:

View Wess Watsons story on YouTube .

Hes full on at times and in places but his message is about right I'd say.

What’s he saying Max ?