Feed once or twice a day when working?

22 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I always just fed once a day, if I was lamping they got a good feed on return same for daytime work fed the night before and then when we've got home. 

Yeah I only feed the once at night few pellets in the morning but only a bit unless pups then its more like the hour job ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never feed just before running a dog. Can cause bloat and at the least the dog won't run well if it's full of food: especially dangerous if you feed dry food which expands in the stomach and draws vit

I would also feed an hour or so after that night finished once the dogs heart rate are down...and he's had a good drink 

Usually on the hour or every 45 mins if there working hard

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

If the dogs has a hard shift I think a breakfast the next mornings a good thing, even just mentally if they enjoy it and it makes them a bit happier it’s worth doing for that reason alone.

Agreed but that’s different from feeding for work or  conditioning .......

6 minutes ago, socks said:

Agreed but that’s different from feeding for work or  conditioning .......

From a work point of view I think if they’ve had a hard full day shift then a good breakfast the next morning helps them recover a bit sharper. 

3 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

From a work point of view I think if they’ve had a hard full day shift then a good breakfast the next morning helps them recover a bit sharper. 

I know what your saying but I still maintain if the dog has had a proper balanced meal before work then it shouldn’t need anything else BUT there are the odd times when they have a gruelling session or the weather is real cold and wet and their body is working harder than normal to keep condition then yes obviously a supplementary meal is a bonus to the dog ? just as important is a warm comfy kennel where they can stretch out and recover ? .......

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, socks said:

I know what your saying but I still maintain if the dog has had a proper balanced meal before work then it shouldn’t need anything else BUT there are the odd times when they have a gruelling session or the weather is real cold and wet and their body is working harder than normal to keep condition then yes obviously a supplementary meal is a bonus to the dog ? just as important is a warm comfy kennel where they can stretch out and recover ? .......

Was going to say similar that the weather would be more reason to give an extra feed more so than work. 

• Like 1

Mine over summer are fed once a day sometimes twice come hunting season obviously the food is upped as we’re more active with getting them fit to the run up to the season they get fed in the morning an by 9.30Pm if we’re not out in the evening but if we are out it’s normally a hour or so after the last run of the night Depending if it’s been a long night or not I’ve found over the years Giving in two sittings works better for me rather than one gret bowl of grub