Feed once or twice a day when working?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never feed just before running a dog. Can cause bloat and at the least the dog won't run well if it's full of food: especially dangerous if you feed dry food which expands in the stomach and draws vit

I would also feed an hour or so after that night finished once the dogs heart rate are down...and he's had a good drink 

Usually on the hour or every 45 mins if there working hard

Posted Images

Never feed just before running a dog. Can cause bloat and at the least the dog won't run well if it's full of food: especially dangerous if you feed dry food which expands in the stomach and draws vital fluids from the rest of the body in order to digest it. If you must feed before running, you need to feed at least 3 hours before, but I have never fed before running a dog. Canines are designed to work on an empty stomach, and even if the food has left the stomach it is still being absorbed in the intestines and would make the dog very uncomfortable.

• Like 9

Yer when I said before running I ment fed in the morning, and I know what ur saying, I won't even take a dog for a walk after food, I have always fed twice until the last few years I now feed just once but i don't know weather to give a bit of biscuit in the morning before lamping that night then feed the flesh when I get back 

• Like 1

As above I wouldn't feed just before running a dog...

But if I was planning a big night out with the possibility of many runs maybe a 100 or so runs...over many hours...I would feed 8 hours or so before the expected start of the night....typically around 4 pm for a midnight start

• Like 3

I think he meant before as in hours before, not feed at 10pm and head out at quarter past.

If I’m estimating my first run about 7am I’ll feed at 9pm. Full meal with extra fats, then when I get back I’ll give a bigger portion with extra red meat. Back to normal feeding the next day, always keeping fat content high it’s the most important part.

Lamping same principle really if I’m planning first run about 12 I’ll feed a full meal at 2pm etc etc.

Main meal would be beef, chicken & tripe warmed in slow cooker for half an hour with some lard added in & a couple bits of brown bread. Tin of sardines 3 times a week.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I think he meant before as in hours before, not feed at 10pm and head out at quarter past.

If I’m estimating my first run about 7am I’ll feed at 9pm. Full meal with extra fats, then when I get back I’ll give a bigger portion with extra red meat. Back to normal feeding the next day, always keeping fat content high it’s the most important part.

Lamping same principle really if I’m planning first run about 12 I’ll feed a full meal at 2pm etc etc.

Breakfast would be brown bread with lamlac. Plus 2 eggs day after running. Evening meal would be beef, chicken & tripe warmed in slow cooker for half an hour with a bit of lard added in & a couple more bits of brown bread. Tin of sardines 3 times a week.

Do you do B&B? You've made that sounds delicious!

• Haha 1

I go for twice a day, as i mainly lamp i feed main meal in the morning then a lighter meal evening if not working or after lamping if they are.

If I'm out daytime early I''ll feed when I get back but if later in the day then I give them a light meal 1st thing.

Edited by sandymere

Once a day for me... 1st thing in the morning, usually keeps them quiet during the day while we are out at work. 

If out during a morning feed soon as get back, has they've usually had the travel home to cool down. If lamping feed a very small meal soon as I get in from work. 

At the end of the day its common sense ain't it...... Ain't it ???? ?