double bred

whats your opinion on breeding a jill twice in the one season...two litters ,one after another..i just got a whatsapp msg,from a lad i bought a ferret from,showed me another litter from the same jill my one was from...it doesnt sit too well with me ,but i do know he breeds soley for money,he had when i called at least 40 ferrets in the garden ,lots rearing,a few finished kits ,away from their mother,i regretted dealing with him to an extent as i dont like giving money to greedy lads,he does hunt the jills but cant be doing enough with all of them as he has loads,not really a big deal just wondering what people thought on the matter

I'm thinking he will end up with a few unsold, we have a 12 month old Jill and he was saying we were nuts not to breed her, I got her jabbed, no interest in breeding anything for a while 

Years ago when I was keeping fezzers, I always had a snipped hob about (I had a top vet), the hormone injection really fuucks the little buggers up. I used to breed one Jill most years to replenish/add to and also sold a couple.... for a 5er ffs. But breeding a Jill twice in a year is crazy no, poor thing must be like a rake.

Edited by mushroom
2 hours ago, mushroom said:

Years ago when I was keeping fezzers, I always had a snipped hob about (I had a top vet), the hormone injection really fuucks the little buggers up. I used to breed one Jill most years to replenish/add to and also sold a couple.... for a 5er ffs. But breeding a Jill twice in a year is crazy no, poor thing must be like a rake.

Yep I’ve got two snipped hobs Here ... they love the summer time ???

4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Some breeder don’t even know the called hobs  an jills ?

That's an Irish thing katch, it's only the last few years here Jill and hob is used, I at times slip back to the buck and doe terminology.. I'd hazard a guess and say there's still an awful lot say buck, doe, its not ignorance, it's habit and upbringing

• Like 3
On 10/08/2020 at 22:49, jigsaw said:

That's an Irish thing katch, it's only the last few years here Jill and hob is used, I at times slip back to the buck and doe terminology.. I'd hazard a guess and say there's still an awful lot say buck, doe, its not ignorance, it's habit and upbringing

We called jills does as lads in Dedfordshire, mind that was 50 years ago.

On 10/08/2020 at 22:49, jigsaw said:

Albino ferrets called "greyhounds" in Ireland too. That one surprised me when I first came over. Oh, and a stone wall is called a ditch here in West Cork. Just different names for things.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

How the fcuk can a wall be a ditch ??

?? I'm guessing it's because a lot of farm walls have a ditch or drain alongside and "ditch" means the whole thing. Wall ditch and any hawthorns (or shcocks as they're called) that are growing on the wall but a plain wall is still a ditch.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1