Lack of rabbits

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an observation, not a rabbit man myself, but a lot of the men that hunt rabbits seem to try & take the maximum number possible every time out, then complain about the lack of rabbits. Makes n

If I owned a dog that just did rabbits, I would spend all my time travelling and searching for them... I only ask that a dog tries, has a go... I got no problem jumping in and giving the old coup de g

Good point at the start of the post, there’s all kinds of game to be found in huge numbers in this country. You just need to be keen enough to jump in your car and go get it. No use complaining a

3 hours ago, poxon said:

I read some were that vhd once it’s wiped a colony out there Warrens can harbour vhd virus for 8months or more the infected area can keep getting topped up with the virus in the area by other species of animals passing through the land as carriers plus humans walking from spot to spot helping it spread. It’s like sending lambs to slaughter dropping them off

I stated at the start . Wait at least a 150 days before dropping.  Maybe I was just lucky on the half a dozen sites I dropped them .that was 6 year ago . It's good to see them when out walking now . It was a dour walk before hand

Edited by The drover
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

Where thete is plenty kill as many as you can not so many take less nice to see what the dogs can do and why not beats the keepers filling thete drop boxes  one of the bits i do keepers had 8000 in 3 months in drop boxes other bit i do keeper has left them for me hes a good man lol 

Bloody hell thats incredible! 8000 in 3 months, just with drop boxes?? How big an area are we talking?

31 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Bloody hell thats incredible! 8000 in 3 months, just with drop boxes?? How big an area are we talking?

Alot of money for estate new head keeper putting drop boxes everywhere the estate is 20.000 acres  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, poxon said:

think in this day an age you need a dog bred ready for anything not bred for a set job you gotta keep your options open with no restrictions with a dog that’s a master of none unless you keep a load of dogs for set jobs 

Cant see what you mean by rabbit only dogs ? Lurchers have a fair amount of sight hound blood so most will chase most things ? Example have your dogs not caught partridges on the lamp ? Hence most lurchers will have anything if encouraged in the right way ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The drover said:

Instead of ferreting and killing them . Catch them drop them in old sets that have none . Do your bit lads . Beats moaning about it 

That’s what I’ve done at back of mine i released about a dozen a couple year back there breeding and spreading out a bit now so hopefully they do ok 

11 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Cant see what you mean by rabbit only dogs ? Lurchers have a fair amount of sight hound blood so most will chase most things ? Example have your dogs not caught partridges on the lamp ? Hence most lurchers will have anything if encouraged in the right way ?

Most the small mooching types of lurcher about are at nothing more than rabbits mate that’s the reality of it ie beddy whippets collie whippets straight whippets collie greyhounds most beddy greyhounds about now days are nothing more than rabbiters that’s there stable if this wasn’t the case you wouldn’t of been pming me asking if I know any decent stud dogs about a couple of months back ??The young bitch I’ve got hasn’t had lamped partridge she’s not even entered  to the lamp as of yet but to be honest if we were relying on partridge as the main stability of lamping round here you may as well pack up lamping as you’re be doing no lamp work looking for no return. Most Lurchers will try there luck but most thinks but that doesn’t me they can do the job most ain’t suited to anything more than rabbits or like you’ve said partridge or taking the odd pheasant out it’s seat daytime mooching but not everyone has partridge about or pheasant tbh as much as I love the traditional moochers they are restricted in many ways unless you have a bit of size an power bred in to them an there bred ready for anything even then there’s no guarantees ie my white bitch!

26 minutes ago, poxon said:

Most the small mooching types of lurcher about are at nothing more than rabbits mate that’s the reality of it ie beddy whippets collie whippets straight whippets collie greyhounds most beddy greyhounds about now days are nothing more than rabbiters that’s there stable if this wasn’t the case you wouldn’t of been pming me asking if I know any decent stud dogs about a couple of months back ??The young bitch I’ve got hasn’t had lamped partridge she’s not even entered  to the lamp as of yet but to be honest if we were relying on partridge as the main stability of lamping round here you may as well pack up lamping as you’re be doing no lamp work looking for no return. Most Lurchers will try there luck but most thinks but that doesn’t me they can do the job most ain’t suited to anything more than rabbits or like you’ve said partridge or taking the odd pheasant out it’s seat daytime mooching but not everyone has partridge about or pheasant tbh as much as I love the traditional moochers they are restricted in many ways unless you have a bit of size an power bred in to them an there bred ready for anything even then there’s no guarantees ie my white bitch!

I take it your teeth only ? And what i expect in a lurcher is to a fill the pot even tho mine will knock a fox over ? And didnt pm you to find me a stud dog i told you it was  coz if you mention breeding you get classed a peddlar did u not ? 

If I owned a dog that just did rabbits, I would spend all my time travelling and searching for them... I only ask that a dog tries, has a go... I got no problem jumping in and giving the old coup de grace help them out... I think sometimes folks expect too much too soon, sometimes their first few experiences can be too much, very rarely are things textbook so to speak.. Owned and given away dogs that didn't like the tasks I put in front of em..... Only to come good later on for someone else.... Also had dogs and been told they don't like this or that... And they have become very good, excelled even at the given task?I once gave a terrier bitch I bred 4 yrs to come good, would try her,every f***ing week? no interest, back on the couples, dig it with her dam or sisters..... One day the penny dropped, her first dig, she was like an old pro..... She was garenteed on fox, very small bitch, she went to a gun pack at 6 yrs old, and never put a foot wrong until she died working... I still kick myself for letting her go, but she didn't figure in my plans at the time.... You live and learn?

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

I take it your teeth only ? And what i expect in a lurcher is to a fill the pot even tho mine will knock a fox over ? And didnt pm you to find me a stud dog i told you it was  coz if you mention breeding you get classed a peddlar did u not ? 

No an I’m the same gotta be ready for anything. Like I replied you gotta do what you got a do maybe I miss read what you meant because of the question marks at end of everything fella no bother?? But if people gonna think you a peddler f**k em mate let them think what they want 

23 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

If I owned a dog that just did rabbits, I would spend all my time travelling and searching for them... I only ask that a dog tries, has a go... I got no problem jumping in and giving the old coup de grace help them out... I think sometimes folks expect too much too soon, sometimes their first few experiences can be too much, very rarely are things textbook so to speak.. Owned and given away dogs that didn't like the tasks I put in front of em..... Only to come good later on for someone else.... Also had dogs and been told they don't like this or that... And they have become very good, excelled even at the given task?I once gave a terrier bitch I bred 4 yrs to come good, would try her,every f***ing week? no interest, back on the couples, dig it with her dam or sisters..... One day the penny dropped, her first dig, she was like an old pro..... She was garenteed on fox, very small bitch, she went to a gun pack at 6 yrs old, and never put a foot wrong until she died working... I still kick myself for letting her go, but she didn't figure in my plans at the time.... You live and learn?

Good point at the start of the post, there’s all kinds of game to be found in huge numbers in this country. You just need to be keen enough to jump in your car and go get it.

No use complaining about low numbers when there’s rabbits out there to be had & you just can’t be bothered to travel for them. Usually find as well by the time someone’s complained for hours & spent ages walking empty local fields they could’ve driven a few hours and had some good sport.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, poxon said:

No an I’m the same gotta be ready for anything. Like I replied you gotta do what you got a do maybe I miss read what you meant because of the question marks at end of everything fella no bother?? But if people gonna think you a peddler f**k em mate let them think what they want 

You know what i said when i pmd you but you thought you twist it ? You asked me if i was gona breed my f1 ? I said yes and i said i was looking for a good big whippet to line her with as the one i had in mind died from lepro ? And i said why i pmd coz if you say your breeding on here your made out a dealer even tho i not breed a litter since the 80s ? So now everyone can  see what i put in the pm to you there know missunderstanding ok and i think the only other iv pmd on here is welsh phil so see i got nowt to hide and dont do sly pms just as aswell coz they soon made public ?

• Like 1