3/4 grey 1/4 collie lacks wind

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heat is the biggest problem, for well muscled dogs especially so, muscles create a lot of heat and it takes time to dissipate and heavily greyhound blooded dogs tend to have a high percentage of muscl

Don't think iv ever seen a greyhound saturated dog that didn't lack wind?

I have 1 exactly the same blowing out the arse after doing not a lot but as the dogs matured abit seems 2 get a second wind personally I roll a fag between runs or fall over whichever comes first your

15 hours ago, Trev70 said:

The last one I owned was a Hancock bitch the black and white rough Bitch on some of my vids , she was a nice bitch to own and was fast but only had half a days  work in her , she had no wind at all she had about ten rabbits in her on the lamp then she was done. She went for free to a lad that works her with nets and he says she’s the best ferreting dog he’s owned but not my kind of ferreting dog ?

what have the whippets been like trev? in general stamina wise? 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

Yer that's the other thing now u mention it, he is the only one of mine that double coated the rest are smooth so will get rid of the heat better 

My wheaton x has  struggled in the warm weather of late, I've dropped her weight that's helped a bit, I get out around 8:30 in the evenings when it's cooler, think we both prefer that tbh?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

what have the whippets been like trev? in general stamina wise? 

From what I've owned and seen Fred most whippets will work all day and put in a good shift lamping rabbits mate.

• Like 3

As some have already said, a running dog with a decent coat will struggle in warm weather. I have a Collie x who will ferret all day, runs canicross with me and needs walking 2 hours + in winter days but since April looks like he can barely handle an hour's walk at midday. ?

38 minutes ago, two crows said:

border collies can get a condition where they collapse after heavy work, and are prone to hyperventilation, don't know if either affect crosses.

Never knew that mate ?  old bryn my 1x collie x grey , could when he was younger put in 30 a night , few times a week , but thinking about it, he did need more rest between each run , where as Buck my 1x Alsatian x grey,  seemed to have better stamina  with his runs, maybe  a gsd  bit better stamina  than collie , and taking in the difference Buck lot bigger dog than old bryn,  3 in taller and 30lb heavier .?    But any 1/4 bred  x back to a greyhound  will loose that bit of stamina  deff, that where the old 1x gains , but might loose liitle bit of pace to 1/4 bred , but both my 1x  dogs   had plenty of pace in the lamp .

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

The thing I found with the 3/4 Bred, an I only had 2 i me time so could be wrong, was they couldn’t take the work load, was fine day by day an night by night, but ask the dogs to do 3 nights in bounce or even just most nights a week an few mornings ferreting an they lost Condition, at time tho I did have Sal/grey x collie/grey aswell an that bitch could go all night every night, the 3/4 Breda I had tho were fast as fcuk an real nice mutts have about, I only rehomed one them as I was out most nights an the dog didn’t like being left in now an again but looked like a bag a bones if allowed to come with us all time?

thats it (sal grey x collie x grey ) that drop  sal   make a real differnce , a bloke i knew had big 28 in salx grey x collie x grey , big brindle dog look ed like a greyhound apart from it ears  lol, fast dog and run all night  3-4 times a week , he ran one night with a 1/4 bred collie x 3/4 grey another big dog , but sal x had deff better recovery  wind, so you right mate above:thumbs:

Heat is the biggest problem, for well muscled dogs especially so, muscles create a lot of heat and it takes time to dissipate and heavily greyhound blooded dogs tend to have a high percentage of muscle mass compared to other dogs. Keep them fit and the weight down plus coats stripped then be aware of the dogs limits. 

• Like 6