Dogs n mooching with the catapult

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11-12 week old bull grey out with the catty from day one.     

I have only just got into the catapult. it was the dog really got me into it when out mooching she treed that many squirrels last winter, thought I may as well have some sport, so now I will always ha

Here’s mine...he will be used for a bit of everything ??

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Now that would be living the dream Greyman ??

I,m almost there mate, have tennants waiting to move in, several boats lined up to view just waiting for the mortgage company to get back to work and sort the final details out and I should be away, spoken with the advisor today and he’s back in the office Monday so should no more then, exciting times been something I’ve always wanted to do ??

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Greyman said:

Same as that mate especially as I lost my old patterdale at the start of lockdown, but I,m just waiting for a few things to come together then I,m off and 2 dogs a cat and a lizard are enough company for me and the misses living in a boat, so I have to be firm  ✌️✌️

How do you find patterdales as pets/ mooching companions.

I’ve only come across a few and been out with a rescued one which was a pet, but I reckon had been worked, it’s ear was also stamped. This was great in their family environment, but off lead his nose was down and he was off....goodbye.....never changed. I went to look at some patterdalex Russell pups once and the sire was the patterdale, in its kennel it was going nuts, if it had got out it would have definitely gone for me....good little guard dog indeed. The only other ones I’ve seen have been pets which have gone missing.....probably buggered off hunting.

Always liked them but bit wary of getting one in case it just wants to hunt fox and bugger off down holes. Oh and there was one more, it was a tiny little bitch...this was also rescued by an electrician I knew...lovely little dog at home, but he had it put down in the end due to it been unpredictable around other dogs and the last encounter left him with a large vets bill.

Still, I like them but like to know how other people find them.

20 hours ago, Greyman said:

Same as that mate especially as I lost my old patterdale at the start of lockdown, but I,m just waiting for a few things to come together then I,m off and 2 dogs a cat and a lizard are enough company for me and the misses living in a boat, so I have to be firm  ✌️✌️

If you do change your mind when they are here...., ?would only cost you the fuel mate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I’ve only come across a few and been out with a rescued one which was a pet, but I reckon had been worked, it’s ear was also stamped. This was great in their family environment, but off lead his nose was down and he was off....goodbye.....never changed. I went to look at some patterdalex Russell pups once and the sire was the patterdale, in its kennel it was going nuts, if it had got out it would have definitely gone for me....good little guard dog indeed. The only other ones I’ve seen have been pets which have gone missing.....probably buggered off hunting.

Always liked them but bit wary of getting one in case it just wants to hunt fox and bugger off down holes. Oh and there was one more, it was a tiny little bitch...this was also rescued by an electrician I knew...lovely little dog at home, but he had it put down in the end due to it been unpredictable around other dogs and the last encounter left him with a large vets bill.

Had a bull patt recently nicest easy going dog youd find fetch off water sensible as anything drop in be called out the lot

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I've kept patterdales for digging for about 27 yrs.... When given work they want, they are no problem, there's always a few exceptions lol, I wouldn't personally advise anyone to get one just as a pet.. The dam to these pups is 3 Yr old and never showed interest in anything more than a rat/rabbit hole.... So kept her for my young lad for ratting and knocking around... The sire is from probably the best white digging dog I've ever dug over... But he's scared of the dark?same again, won't enter a hole with anything bigger than him at home?if I didn't have young kids, that help out with their upkeep, then I'd of pts... DSC_0766.JPG.44629ee2e6c7273c4d7828600e2c7f96.JPG

DamDSC_1109.JPG.d07ecac7f611d109678d9909b246b5e1.JPG

Sire as a pup. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I've kept patterdales for digging for about 27 yrs.... When given work they want, they are no problem, there's always a few exceptions lol, I wouldn't personally advise anyone to get one just as a pet.. The dam to these pups is 3 Yr old and never showed interest in anything more than a rat/rabbit hole.... So kept her for my young lad for ratting and knocking around... The sire is from probably the best white digging dog I've ever dug over... But he's scared of the dark?same again, won't enter a hole with anything bigger than him at home?if I didn't have young kids, that help out with their upkeep, then I'd of pts... DSC_0766.JPG.44629ee2e6c7273c4d7828600e2c7f96.JPG

DamDSC_1109.JPG.d07ecac7f611d109678d9909b246b5e1.JPG

Sire as a pup. 

Mate that’s a lovely gesture and the parents look a treat but I really must be strict on myself, always wrong time with things like this, ?

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Mate that’s a lovely gesture and the parents look a treat but I really must be strict on myself, always wrong time with things like this, ?

No problem GM, hopefully see you at this yrs fishing comp for a catch up. Stay safe mate ? 

• Like 1
On 04/08/2020 at 13:04, Shortstraw said:

Just curious if any of you take any dogs with you when you’re out with the catapult and if so what type of dogs you got.

Ive two, both little lurchers.....the older of the two is bed whip x collie/grey/whippet, other spaniel x lurcher.

I often wonder what dog I will get in the future and I know there’s been a few threads on the lurcher section regarding the price of lurchers etc, but it wasn’t until the other day I had a look on a general dog selling site and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Think I searched spaniel and the first two adverts that came up were cockers...... £2400 per pup. I was curious about jack Russells, I paid £25 for my first in 1998, well these were a grand upwards. I will never never pay this sort of money for a pup...I think it’s disgusting.

I remember thinking not long back that £600 was a lot for a cocker.....and it would kill me to pay that. I local Keeper who sees me on the fringes of the land he works occasionally has a chat with me and I think he said he’d do me a spaniel for around 400/500....no papers etc , this now seems a good price. 

I know for a fact I won’t be paying extortionate prices for a dog.....it’ll either be a rescue dog, accidental mating, or something off the keeper.......I’m talking a good few years from now mind.

Out with dog and catty every day, had terriers for the last 44 years but the prices are just pure greed and the for the people which are paying these prices, they are just fueling the situation. My present dog is a tackel and what a good worker, determined, stamina, hell of a nose and the ability to go through the heavist of cover, if only I had a .410 to shoot over him we would have some cracking time. The only down side is that I've had to buy a GPS tracker to find him sometime.?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Devon Minnow said:

Out with dog and catty every day, had terriers for the last 44 years but the prices are just pure greed and the for the people which are paying these prices, they are just fueling the situation. My present dog is a tackel and what a good worker, determined, stamina, hell of a nose and the ability to go through the heavist of cover, if only I had a .410 to shoot over him we would have some cracking time. The only down side is that I've had to buy a GPS tracker to find him sometime.?

I was just having a look at bedlington prices yesterday and  again I still could not believe the prices, touching two grand...something needs done to regulate it. Often thought about teckels, look like cracking dogs, full of character I bet. The nose down and off hunting is the bit that makes me a bit wary. I always said my last little jack Russell had some mini dachshund  in her, she was an amazing hunting dog and a great house dog,  but she was a bugger for turning deaf and having me searching all over for her......best bushing dog I’ve owned and probably caught more than most dogs ive owned. 

Edited by Shortstraw

Two grand for a Bedlington and the problems they have with copper toxic absolutely insane price.

Tackel have big ears but they are just as deaf especially when on the sent, 10mms clay ball and a catapult usually gets his attention???. But the amount of game they find is way more than any terrier or spaniel . I know one thing I will not buy another dog but a Tackel now.

49 minutes ago, Devon Minnow said:

Two grand for a Bedlington and the problems they have with copper toxic absolutely insane price.

Tackel have big ears but they are just as deaf especially when on the sent, 10mms clay ball and a catapult usually gets his attention???. But the amount of game they find is way more than any terrier or spaniel . I know one thing I will not buy another dog but a Tackel now.

I use the catty myself if the dogs decide to ignore me, never shoot at them just over them stops them in there tracks, also use it to move cows/horses and clear deer from small woods before I enter if I,m in an area near roads etc, a bit like a knife I couldn’t imaging not having one in my pocket and wonder how other people do ?