Dogs n mooching with the catapult

Just curious if any of you take any dogs with you when you’re out with the catapult and if so what type of dogs you got.

Ive two, both little lurchers.....the older of the two is bed whip x collie/grey/whippet, other spaniel x lurcher.

I often wonder what dog I will get in the future and I know there’s been a few threads on the lurcher section regarding the price of lurchers etc, but it wasn’t until the other day I had a look on a general dog selling site and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Think I searched spaniel and the first two adverts that came up were cockers...... £2400 per pup. I was curious about jack Russells, I paid £25 for my first in 1998, well these were a grand upwards. I will never never pay this sort of money for a pup...I think it’s disgusting.

I remember thinking not long back that £600 was a lot for a cocker.....and it would kill me to pay that. I local Keeper who sees me on the fringes of the land he works occasionally has a chat with me and I think he said he’d do me a spaniel for around 400/500....no papers etc , this now seems a good price. 

I know for a fact I won’t be paying extortionate prices for a dog.....it’ll either be a rescue dog, accidental mating, or something off the keeper.......I’m talking a good few years from now mind.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11-12 week old bull grey out with the catty from day one.     

I have only just got into the catapult. it was the dog really got me into it when out mooching she treed that many squirrels last winter, thought I may as well have some sport, so now I will always ha

Here’s mine...he will be used for a bit of everything ??

Posted Images

Always take the dogs, lurcher will sit by a tree if it contains a squirrel and Russel retrieves them if they go in cover when shot, the squirrels will also watch the dogs and when they run up a tree they will sit out of reach of the dogs and just watch them giving you a free shot  ?

C915724E-CE1E-4DB5-8DFB-6AA3AC0141AA.jpeg

541AC4FB-0FBE-42ED-AF1E-866C4922FA34.jpeg

F809DB10-C965-4447-A296-7CCBFBFECA73.jpeg

• Like 4

I use mine alongside my kelpies, only started using the catapult very recently on game but Ned and I accounted for a squirrel while on holiday on Dartmoor last week. They locate them far better than I can.

They're certainly not cheap though. Ned was £550 pre-all the recent weirdness with prices and his great,great aunt sold last year for $25,000!?

• Like 1

I have only just got into the catapult. it was the dog really got me into it when out mooching she treed that many squirrels last winter, thought I may as well have some sport, so now I will always have a catty with me when mooching. I always have a little whippet Cross. 

Screenshot_20191209_124130_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20191025_142150_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by fred90
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I bought a catapult start of lockdown to make our walks more interesting, got the kids some aswell, they enjoy it more than me?

Just to add if anyone's looking for a little terrier x for some general mooching,  got a litter of patt x Russells, they not digging dogs, both Bush and rat, these were not planned, kids let out the bitch and dog tied with her?was gonna bucket them but, they will make a nice little companion for someone, I won't be asking for more than a hundred each, if any thl members take one on, will place the rest local if I can, few of my old neighbours have expressed an interest..... ? 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I have only just got into the catapult. it was the dog really got me into it when out mooching she treed that many squirrels last winter, thought I may as well have some sport, so now I will always have a catty with me when mooching. I always have a little whippet Cross. 

Screenshot_20191209_124130_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20191025_142150_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

My son loves this photo (he spends half his life up in our crab apple tree). I thought my old collie x whippet Skye was the only dog who could climb trees as well as this. Lovely photo.

Edited to add: lovely looking dog too. Is it a straight bedlington x whippet?

Edited by Neal
extra info
18 minutes ago, Neal said:

My son loves this photo (he spends half his life up in our crab apple tree). I thought my old collie x whippet Skye was the only dog who could climb trees as well as this. Lovely photo.

Edited to add: lovely looking dog too. Is it a straight bedlington x whippet?

Yes mate she is a first cross beddywhippet. squirrel mad. 

• Thanks 1

Owned some proper good little catapult dogs fetching birds off the water mark odd rossters in trees point to stuff sat tight. Most ive been given or paid a few hundred quid for. Every lurcher ive owned picked it up very quick. Just gotta get em out as much as ya can and theh soon learn some days the only chance of getting game in there mouth is if you shoot sommat.prob best i had was a bull patterdale or a little cocker x patt

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I bought a catapult start of lockdown to make our walks more interesting, got the kids some aswell, they enjoy it more than me?

Just to add if anyone's looking for a little terrier x for some general mooching,  got a litter of patt x Russells, they not digging dogs, both Bush and rat, these were not planned, kids let out the bitch and dog tied with her?was gonna bucket them but, they will make a nice little companion for someone, I won't be asking for more than a hundred each, if any thl members take one on, will place the rest local if I can, few of my old neighbours have expressed an interest..... ? 

can see them making cracking little hunters, moochers etc. not everyone wants digging dogs I know plenty that have kept them for ferreting, bushing, ratting etc. make lovely marking dogs. hope they go to the homes they deserve, good luck with them ?

• Like 1
On 04/08/2020 at 16:25, Daniel cain said:

Nice offer that, if I’d have been after one I’d have snatched your hand off.

• Like 1

Same as that mate especially as I lost my old patterdale at the start of lockdown, but I,m just waiting for a few things to come together then I,m off and 2 dogs a cat and a lizard are enough company for me and the misses living in a boat, so I have to be firm  ✌️✌️

• Like 2