Airgun Registration

It was after a little boy up the road from me was shot in the head by accident ? luckily he survived but everytime there is a serious accident involving an air gun it will be back on the table, it’s about appeasing the public not what works or is right ✌️

41 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

This was looked into last year at a coroner’s request. Didn’t come to anything. I was told by a reliable source that the police didn’t want it. It would be such a complete mess and wouldn’t achieve the desired outcome anyway. People who misuse and cause problems with airguns, or anything else for that matter, wouldn’t take any notice of it. Personally, I don’t think the police would have the time or recourses to implement it, and they have far more important issues to contend with anyway. That’s just my opinion.

I agree totally however I can see the fee if not linked to a co-terminus license with fac or agc being an attractive income but it will do nothing to control airguns and the whereabouts of the vast majority of airguns is unknown and will stay that way I am certain.

There was a chap who worked for me whose 21 year old son was killed by a freak accident using an air rifle some 10 years ago which was tragic but the chap fully understood it was an accident and didn't agree that a license would have saved his son's life. 

Phil

• Like 2
7 hours ago, philpot said:

I agree totally however I can see the fee if not linked to a co-terminus license with fac or agc being an attractive income but it will do nothing to control airguns and the whereabouts of the vast majority of airguns is unknown and will stay that way I am certain.

There was a chap who worked for me whose 21 year old son was killed by a freak accident using an air rifle some 10 years ago which was tragic but the chap fully understood it was an accident and didn't agree that a license would have saved his son's life. 

Phil

I think that the main reason that it hasn’t been taken up, is that it would involve so much work. As said before, they’d have to contend with ten times or more the number of licenses that there will be in Scotland. Look at the hopeless shambles that turned out to be. I wonder what “improvements “ they have GENUINELY seen in Scotland since licensing began? If it wasn’t so obviously going to be a logistical nightmare to deal with in England and Wales, I’m fairly sure they’d have brought it in by now. After all, it’s been talked about for decades. We all know that it would be a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, but if it looks good to Joe Public......?

Its just that the whole thing would probably be unworkable, due mainly to sheer numbers, and the shortage of people available to process it, if nothing else?
Either way, it would achieve very little or nothing with regard to public safety, which would supposedly be its main purpose.

Edited by Dervburner
  • Like 1

Scotland got airguns licenced because some aresolhe  in a high rise Glasgow  flat shoot a toddler being carried on his fathers shoulders in the head killing him and the mother kept on pressing for them to licenced till they where , it idiots like the arseh**e that caused this will never apply for a licence anyway 

• Like 2