Crossman 2240

Hi lurchers

I've recently modded a 2250xl I bought from new.

I did a lot of mods to it to see how powerful and accurate I could get it.

After spending quite a bit of time doing most of the possible mods, I think the best were:

1) Replaced the whole valve unit with a modded valve. The modded valves have been bored out to have a larger internal volume compared to the standard valve and the exhaust port has been angled for more efficient CO2 flow through the transfer port into the breech. I think I remember reading that there are different modded valves for 2250xl and the 2250s with a shorter barrel, so it may be worth searching around a bit? 

2) Replaced the transfer port to allow higher flow and sealed the area around the transfer port to prevent any gas leakage, when the CO2 is released from the valve.

3) Replaced the bolt probe with a hollow, extended bolt probe.

These three mods basically increase the amount of CO2 released behind the pellet for each shot, resulting in increased power of the gun.

I chrono'd the 2250xl when I got it (without any modding) and it was about 9 ft/lbs (this is pretty standard I think for the 2250xl with the 18 inch barrel). After these three mods the power increased to just below 12 ft/lbs (around 11.7 / 11.8 ft/lbs) The downside is that you use a lot more CO2 per shot. Decreases from about 20 - 30 to about 5 - 10 per CO2 bulb.

As Jonjon79 said in his post, I wouldn't bother with a power adjuster, or even the stronger hammer springs you can buy. Although these increase the force of the hammer spring (resulting in more CO2 entering the valve) they tend to make the piercing stem, that punctures the top of the CO2 bulb, hit it with such force that it gets firmly stuck. This usually means you have to take the whole gun apart to get it out.

When I took first the gun apart and saw the really small screw that holds the valve in place and the amount of 'wobble' the valve has even when fully screwed in, I also decided to drill and pin the modded valve with a couple of grub screws just to keep everything nice and solid, but I guess this is not essential.

As you have the 2250b, you could consider replacing the 14.5 inch barrel with the longer 18 inch one? This will also increase power (and long range accuracy?) and also replace the ABS breech with a steel one, but it depends on how much you want to spend?

I've only just joined the forums, so I'm not sure if I can post any links to the sites I bought the parts from etc? But if you need any help you can PM me and I'll try to help out if I can. No problem.

dbg

• Like 2