Fairweather takes another.

I’m glad the hmr is working for you . It’s interesting to hear impartial and constructive reports . 
         Although not a hater of the hmr , I can’t see me having one . I like a 22lr for rabbits and squirrels. And a centre fire for fox . And I’ve also dropped more than my share of foxes with the 22lr and not just in snares either.?

• Like 3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shall we say on the edge of my central patch is a farm drive of concrete. Wheat one side, pasture the other. A dog fox barked as I walked up the drive but I had not seen any eyes so I gave a good sque

Same farm track as last week tonight. I got some intel off youngratter who visits on here sometimes that he heard a fox howling etc. Sure enough at the farm end was a cat and a fox. They seemed t

Well that's the Winchester 17g ammo gone. Fave is still the 20g by Hornady.  

Posted Images

19 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

We've just got to convince Ianm, some how though I know that’s not going to happen lol ?

Ian's middle initials are HMR, he just doesn't know it yet.

Ian HMR M  

(Ian "Hmr's My Rifle" M)

Them there mice are going to be quaking pinching them Lancashire Muffins.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, ianm said:

If we had lots and lots of rabbits i still wouldn't have a hateful hmr.

No siree! i would get myself another lurcher. In fact i would rather use snares than a hmr and i dislike strangling wildlife immensely.?

I must admit hunting rabbits with a Lurcher has got to be one of the most exciting ways of controlling their numbers I just haven’t time because of work to own a dog at the moment but when I retire that might change,, @Sausagedog how’s your little dog haven’t seen her on your trips for a while hopes she’s well.

Edited by FLATTOP
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I must admit hunting rabbits with a Lurcher has got to be one of the most exciting ways of controlling their numbers I just haven’t time because of work to own a dog at the moment but when I retire that might change,, @Sausagedog how’s your little dog haven’t seen her on your trips for a while hopes she’s well.

You mean the most mardi micro lurcher in the world? She is ok.

Here she is, taken on Saturday.

IMG_20200801_111356109.jpg.89b9b06379779553582680b04ca5e3ef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

You mean the most mardi micro lurcher in the world? She is ok.

Here she is, taken on Saturday.

IMG_20200801_111356109.jpg.89b9b06379779553582680b04ca5e3ef.jpg

Still smashing those squirrels the adventures of micro Lurcher continue she looks a good little companion good to see she’s doing well. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’m glad the hmr is working for you . It’s interesting to hear impartial and constructive reports . 
         Although not a hater of the hmr , I can’t see me having one . I like a 22lr for rabbits and squirrels. And a centre fire for fox . And I’ve also dropped more than my share of foxes with the 22lr and not just in snares either.?

I'm the same , I have one but it doesnt go out much and its .22lr for rabbits and .243 for fox. Dont really know why I bought it ?

3 hours ago, Alsone said:

Ian's middle initials are HMR, he just doesn't know it yet.

Ian HMR M  

(Ian "Hmr's My Rifle" M)

Them there mice are going to be quaking pinching them Lancashire Muffins.

Put the crack pipe down and stand back! ?

• Haha 5
18 hours ago, ianm said:

Put the crack pipe down and stand back! ?

That's what Sausage Dog did, and he bought a HMR......

The writings on the wall Ian......and it's not a Banksy.

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, Alsone said:

That's what Sausage Dog did, and he bought a HMR......

The writings on the wall Ian......and it's not a Banksy.

You seem to be forgetting i have had one before and i didn't like it one bit. I replaced it with a .17 Hornet which i did like. However, it is a pain to reload for. I bought a pile of cheap Hornady ammo for it from a rfd i know that bought it cheap on offer. When i had all but used it up i decided to part company with it because factory ammo had become too expensive. I replaced it with another .204 Supervarmint, not the most practical rabbit rifle but definitely the most fun. I can shoot anything pest or vermin wise i come across during the day at forty pence a pop. We don't get big numbers of rabbits anymore but if i was shooting them to sell i would use my .22lr. I might even get another .22 Hornet for waliking about with, who knows?  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ianm said:

You seem to be forgetting i have had one before and i didn't like it one bit. I replaced it with a .17 Hornet which i did like. However, it is a pain to reload for. I bought a pile of cheap Hornady ammo for it from a rfd i know that bought it cheap on offer. When i had all but used it up i decided to part company with it because factory ammo had become too expensive. I replaced it with another .204 Supervarmint, not the most practical rabbit rifle but definitely the most fun. I can shoot anything pest or vermin wise i come across during the day at forty pence a pop. We don't get big numbers of rabbits anymore but if i was shooting them to sell i would use my .22lr. I might even get another .22 Hornet for waliking about with, who knows?  

Funny you say that....I've never been thrilled with a 22! Yes yes they are good but no, for me they are kind of boring and give little performance.

Now if I had a choice between a 357 and 22 I'd take the 357!

It can be loaded cheap, has some horse power and or can be popped out the barrel.

At the start of this I did say that if I am going to use a rimfire let's get one that does something....implying a 22 don't....for me that is.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Funny you say that....I've never been thrilled with a 22! Yes yes they are good but no, for me they are kind of boring and give little performance.

Now if I had a choice between a 357 and 22 I'd take the 357!

It can be loaded cheap, has some horse power and or can be popped out the barrel.

At the start of this I did say that if I am going to use a rimfire let's get one that does something....implying a 22 don't....for me that is.

I quite agree about 22lr using subs as i always do. I always feel they are very limited in what they can do, but for driving about shooting a lot of rabbits to sell i don't know of anything better.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ianm said:

I quite agree about 22lr using subs as i always do. I always feel they are very limited in what they can do, but for driving about shooting a lot of rabbits to sell i don't know of anything better.

Defo the best calibre when shooting numbers of bunnies ?

• Like 1

For me .22LR has 2 functions - 1 if you want to sell rabbits, the other if you need almost total silence. Once you depart from either criteria, I see little use as per Sausage. Yes it's the world's most popular calibre, but that's largely because being the bottom of the stack of the mainstream calibres for performance, meaning it's the ideal 1st rifle for kids, so everyone starts off with and owns a .22lr. For adults, certainly it has the 2 roles I mentioned, but for me the downsides of limited range, limited species and a high risk of ricochet all outweigh it for any other use scenario. .17 hmr was always interesting but had issues with cracked cases and duds. Now those issues seem to becoming past issues ever more, it's becoming a better rf tool in my opinion than LR for all but the 2 scenarios mentioned. Of course there are others, wsm to name but one, but they've been inflicted with the same issues hmr once had. Who knows in 10yrs time, maybe we'll be extolling the virtues of wsm, then again, maybe no-one will have heard of it by then.

I personally would like to see someone load a usable high performance rf, and a high performance cf .17. For me, both are lacking atm. WSM came close in rf, but fell at the 1st hurdle for a cartridge to take off - reliability. .17 CF has failed so far because of light bullets and thus also limited energy down range. Hopefully the new super high pressure cases may allow the use of heavy boat tailed bullets bullets of 40gr or so, and thus more energy, destructive power and range from a .17. An easy to reload cartridge would also go a long way to increasing popularity of mainstream .17.