Full greyhounds

19 hours ago, Balaur said:

How many on here have brought on a greyhound pup like a lurcher got it on all terrain and quarry run and tested it for three or four seasons not many I bet , it makes sense but isn't practical, I've never seen a pure out working not that I've done much but I think it's mostly bollocks on here tbh....

very few if a grey was good enough when tested there be no need to breed lurchers, and if a lurcher was only as good as a grey you would not breed from it, then again some would breed off owt.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As attached bud. 

Yes but when breeding lurchers your greyhound still has to be tested at the chosen game which for him will be fox... Too many think the greyhounds just for speed when your doing fox control both paren

no not rely lol, I don't usualy brag about dogs but I bred ben f1 sal grey, I only run small edible stuff as a rule, but I  used to go with a lad at night who would do any thing and in some rum places

Posted Images

2 hours ago, two crows said:

very few if a grey was good enough when tested there be no need to breed lurchers, and if a lurcher was only as good as a grey you would not breed from it, then again some would breed off owt.

Generalisation of a breed is not the way I’ve seen 16 lb whippet dismantle a fox after all most are ten 12lb pests.  As said I owned a grey and whippets that chewed on.  A dog no matter how it’s bred if brought on in good care is far better than a purpose bred dog in the wrong hands 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Generalisation of a breed is not the way I’ve seen 16 lb whippet dismantle a fox after all most are ten 12lb pests.  As said I owned a grey and whippets that chewed on.  A dog no matter how it’s bred if brought on in good care is far better than a purpose bred dog in the wrong hands 

I don't think you can breed good dogs consistently without generalising I had a collie that retrieved geese with ease on the coast but you would  not use him to breed gundogs, the op asked about working a greyhound,,,,, course some will be decent, but most will fail, at lurcher work to any sort of standard thats a fact.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Your like me only seen shite greyhounds them Irish ones got 3 min in the tank and 50 runs lamping ? 

You see that's were your wrong read the post again son, I said strong dog xs getting 50 slips in a night..

My older brother kept two greyhound bitches and worked them like a lurcher taking day time hares and lamping rabbits ,fox at night and he was no hobby hunter the lad out most nights lamping ,I remember some mornings I'd go feed my pugs before school and find my brother asleep in shed "with 3 dogs ""as he didn't want wake the ol man up Lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 05/08/2020 at 10:48, dogmandont said:

You must be wrong because only them fluffy eared plodders are of any use on the lamp. Lol. 

Lol I said half Sal grey great all rounder never seen one fluffy ears or that plods lol 

On 05/08/2020 at 08:54, stop.end said:

You see that's were your wrong read the post again son, I said strong dog xs getting 50 slips in a night..

Then you  woke up with a semi on and empty stomach from day before lol

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Then you  woke up with a semi on and empty stomach from day before lol

?? Lol... The big saluki spoofer what are you on about.. Your only in your 20s are you not... When you weren't even a thought in your daddy's head I was out all night running dogs... Admittedly you'd be lucky to get 10 to 15 slips a night with a lot of places now built on or motorway through them but yes plenty of work for a lurcher 25 years ago... Still plenty for a lurcher now but absolutely no where near as good as it was.. Each post you make kid your immaturity and lack of real lurcher work and kennel blindness  shines through ?

• Like 4

? I’m mid 30s been hunting over 20 of them lol

lack a real lurcher work and kennel blindness shines threw lol quality 

I can get 50 runs in a night any time you fancy a mooch over bud I’ll take you out No bother or you dog man don’t I’d love to see a bullx last a night 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, stop.end said:

?? Lol... The big saluki spoofer what are you on about.. Your only in your 20s are you not... When you weren't even a thought in your daddy's head I was out all night running dogs... Admittedly you'd be lucky to get 10 to 15 slips a night with a lot of places now built on or motorway through them but yes plenty of work for a lurcher 25 years ago... Still plenty for a lurcher now but absolutely no where near as good as it was.. Each post you make kid your immaturity and lack of real lurcher work and kennel blindness  shines through ?

I’ve met some very good dog lads in their 20s I think the daft ones will always be daft no matter what age they get to.

Endless amounts of work to be had for a lurcher if you’re keen enough to go and look for it. You’ll never get through to the kennel blind types they always know best it’s just better letting them crack on.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, stop.end said:

I’ve had my kids out since they were 4yrs old and they are 30 and 24 now.When I tell them the amount we used to get in the 80s and early 90s they look at me as if I’m on the gange.They don’t believe me because of what they see these days but I’m glad I had a good run at it before these days now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

I’ve met some very good dog lads in their 20s I think the daft ones will always be daft no matter what age they get to.

Endless amounts of work to be had for a lurcher if you’re keen enough to go and look for it. You’ll never get through to the kennel blind types they always know best it’s just better letting them crack on.

Lol I’ve met some lads make a fox dog out of a little monogral then there’s lads won’t have a fox dog no matter what breed it is lol 

there’s kennel blindness and also not been able to get most out of what you have lol

Edited by mC HULL
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

I agree with that, by the time I was a teenager I was  line breeding hare killers, before merlin and eve existed, so age no guarantee of wisdom, but youth is no excuse for a lack of respect.