Subsonic shotgun cartridges through a semi auto

Hi Guys

I am thinking of buying a semi auto for using around pheasant pens,dairy farms and for night time rabbit control.  I am going to get an atec moderator for it and there will be times when i will want to use subsonic cartridges as well.  Has anyone had any experience with this.  Would i be better of with inertia or a gas action or should i just opt for a pump?

Regards, Mastertech

17 minutes ago, sparky the hunter said:

Hi Guys

I am thinking of buying a semi auto for using around pheasant pens,dairy farms and for night time rabbit control.  I am going to get an atec moderator for it and there will be times when i will want to use subsonic cartridges as well.  Has anyone had any experience with this.  Would i be better of with inertia or a gas action or should i just opt for a pump?

Regards, Mastertech

I would doubt very much that subs would have enough oomph to cycle an auto.

For the difference in noise reduction i would just use standard 28grm carts.

Pump for reliability.

Any auto can be made to function but it will involve modification that may make using heavy loads damaging to the action. (In fairness the early Berretta systems were very efficient cyclers. I've developed loads for special applications and they would cycle the action in all but slow motion).

Long recoil may need the bushing lubricated at least.

Inertia may need a heavier spring in the bolt so it unlocks the bolt in good time.

I'm making it sound terrible but it may be just fine, especially if reloaded and heavy loads are produced like 36g.

In all honesty I would just use normal ammo. The super sonic crack isn't much from a shot gun anyway. And ofcouse you could always single shot it on subsonic if it was crucial to use them.

Many autos probably won’t cycle subsonics, but my A400 Xtreme has cycled everything I’ve ever put through it, including 24gram two inch cartridges. My 20 gauge beretta auto however, struggles to cycle anything less than 25 grams?. It will cycle 28 gram eley hi-flyer fibre 20 gauge, which are subsonic.Odd maybe, but that’s the way it is.....

I’ll have a look out for some subsonic 12 gauge cartridges, and if I can source any locally I’ll try them in the A400 to find out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sparky the hunter said:

Yes guys i know what you mean but when we cant get lead shot anymore!  The ATEC is steel proofed.

I believe that will be a bit longer than five years no matter what they say

• Like 2