hi just got a boker magnum hunting knife was wondering whats the best way to sharpen it when it needs done got a blade tech sharpener here will that do it or will that be a bit harsh on the blade the blade is 440 steel don't know much about steel or knifes for that matter hence the question I will be using it to skin rabbits gut fish and do the odd roe deer ?

• Like 1

I would not recommend sharpeners as the blade tech sharpener as these basically plane the sides of the edge and take away quit some material, the edge will allways be a little toothie. I prefer for a base grind systems as Lansky and for regular sharpening a very fine stone, as belgian wetstones.

Regards

Nicolas

I have one of these since a 10 years

https://www.ardennes-coticule.be/en/shop/product-application/48/knife-length-blade-14-16-cm

These are very fine grit, I think to remember a 6000 so only to maintain an edge, would be hard to put on a new edge with a stone that fine.

I put on a basic edge with Lansky system about every 6 months (carbon steel, used lightly nearly everyday) and when I feel the edge could cut a little better, the Belgian whetstone. Every time before using, I pass the edge over a leather strop with some metal polish.