Pollock

39 minutes ago, bell said:

Been up on the west coast of Scotland for a few days. Took the dingy out chasing pollock, great sport on lures trolled through the kelp. They don’t half pull back. 

332A20B8-80C6-4E45-8185-8DAD4CDC3052.jpeg

Very nice mate lovely fish, that looks very much like the Ailsa Craig in the background to me 

Just now, brambles said:

Very nice mate lovely fish, that looks very much like the Ailsa Craig in the background to me 

Correct mate it is, had maybe a dozen yesterday, biggest went about 7lb but snapped off be a couple of bigger fish that took me into the kelp.  Glorious day yesterday but today its blowing a gale and throwing it down !

Tell me about it lol yesterday was a lovely day to be ou

2 minutes ago, bell said:

Correct mate it is, had maybe a dozen yesterday, biggest went about 7lb but snapped off be a couple of bigger fish that took me into the kelp.  Glorious day yesterday but today its blowing a gale and throwing it down !

Aye yesterday was a great day to be out, I'm only further up the coast at Ayr, by that pic you down around Ballantrae 

On 22/07/2020 at 11:56, bell said:

Been up on the west coast of Scotland for a few days. Took the dingy out chasing pollock, great sport on lures trolled through the kelp. They don’t half pull back. 

A fish we don't have close in down this way and what grand little battling fish they are to catch,17lb my biggest and it sure made my arm ache on the way up...Nice one Bell and be safe out there..

• Like 1
4 hours ago, fireman said:

A fish we don't have close in down this way and what grand little battling fish they are to catch,17lb my biggest and it sure made my arm ache on the way up...Nice one Bell and be safe out there..

Cheers mate, they sure are sporting fish.  Don't need to fish miles out for them up here, probably 50 yards off the beach as long as there is kelp and features they will be there.  They hit with a bang and then come up fairly easy but once near the surface they nosedive for the bottom and there is not a lot you can do with them at that point !

Am down your way next month, fancy half an evening out chasing a Bass, can you recommend any boats ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bell said:

Cheers mate, they sure are sporting fish.  Don't need to fish miles out for them up here, probably 50 yards off the beach as long as there is kelp and features they will be there.  They hit with a bang and then come up fairly easy but once near the surface they nosedive for the bottom and there is not a lot you can do with them at that point !

Am down your way next month, fancy half an evening out chasing a Bass, can you recommend any boats ?

My little boat is the one to be on at the moment mate :laugh:,were having a stonking Bass season and (i don't blame you for thinking "you sure? :hmm:)we've had in the boat over 200 Bass in less than 10 times out with around 20% being legal keeper size and very few little ones.So grand sport and all on trolled lures so you feel them hit and when they shake there heads,let us know when your down and wind and tide being kind come out with me and my pal for a bass bash..

Pollock fishing i used to do almost daily when i lived in west wales and i used to use a 1 or 2 oz weight with a 18 odd inch trace and a frozen sand eel tied on with bait elastic,just bring it in over the top of the kelp from the shore and grand sport on as light a gear as you dare over rough ground. Used to catch big wrasse,makeral,pouting and pollock but never had a bass on that set up...

If you want a day out n a bigger boat i'll find a couple of names for you but to be honest you can just about catch from the shore this way what you will do from a boat unless you go out a good few miles..

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, fireman said:

My little boat is the one to be on at the moment mate :laugh:,were having a stonking Bass season and (i don't blame you for thinking "you sure? :hmm:)we've had in the boat over 200 Bass in less than 10 times out with around 20% being legal keeper size and very few little ones.So grand sport and all on trolled lures so you feel them hit and when they shake there heads,let us know when your down and wind and tide being kind come out with me and my pal for a bass bash..

Pollock fishing i used to do almost daily when i lived in west wales and i used to use a 1 or 2 oz weight with a 18 odd inch trace and a frozen sand eel tied on with bait elastic,just bring it in over the top of the kelp from the shore and grand sport on as light a gear as you dare over rough ground. Used to catch big wrasse,makeral,pouting and pollock but never had a bass on that set up...

If you want a day out n a bigger boat i'll find a couple of names for you but to be honest you can just about catch from the shore this way what you will do from a boat unless you go out a good few miles..

Pm you.

24 minutes ago, fireman said:

Empty your inbox mate

• Like 1

Great stuff mate..

• Like 1

You have a place up there fella or just a holiday?

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Great haul fine eating fish 

Yes they are mate, recently made myself a cold smoker out of an old filing cabinet and been curing and smoking some fillets.  Smoked pollock chowder has been good.

• Like 1