How kelpies doing?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another aussie type

Mine is turning out as I had hoped, Comes with me everywhere, she can go all day, But just lays quietly if there’s not much going on, Strong desire to work and hunt, can be a bit nervy sometimes

Sod it! I decided to be brave and do it again straight away. Noggin's on the left and Ned's on the right. This was taken on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. We went up Cawsand Beacon for the view but t

Posted Images

On 18/08/2020 at 13:14, SheepChaser said:

Sorry for late reply to this. I guess what I meant, is I see it similar to Lurchers and terrier and any working dog. You might have a dog that goes out once or twice a season and manages to get hold of a fox and you end up with a dead fox. But that doesn’t make a fox dog, and isn’t the same as a dog that’s out week in week out knocking them over. 

Similar with stock dogs, I see a lot of folk selling dogs and training dogs and breeding lines of dogs, and those dogs are lucky to see a couple of dozen sheep at a time, in small, fenced, fields. Same with farmers in general, the average flock of sheep in the U.K. is 300 ewes, there are lots and lots of flocks of 100-300, with dogs that push mobs of 50-100 sheep about a couple times a week, in small fenced fields. They look like good dogs, but thrown in at the deep end for some serious graft and they melt away it don’t have the head for it. 

Moving one of our mobs through the village this morning. 

Look at all that fanny , ?welsh mans wet dream right there lol 

• Haha 2

Still out, looking for a goat, not a sign, I think they may be shot out and few if any left, the bitch has hunted up and flushed 3 pheasants, that's about the extent of her activities to date

IMG_20200823_081210.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

Still out, looking for a goat, not a sign, I think they may be shot out and few if any left, the bitch has hunted up and flushed 3 pheasants, that's about the extent of her activities to date

IMG_20200823_081210.jpg

she looks nice jigsaw did you get the dog away.

2 hours ago, two crows said:

she looks nice jigsaw did you get the dog away.

hes supposed to be heading to wales next week,im waiting on details,this bitch is just coming out of season,broke my balls,with her and the greyhound in season at the same time and 3 dogs all gunning for a ride ffs

• Haha 3

Jigsaw, in hindsight, are you glad you made the decision to breed your own? If so, would you be tempted to do it again or was it definitely a one off? The only reason I ask is because, over the last thirty years, I've only owned ten dogs (five lurchers followed by the five kelpies) but never bred a litter. I was tempted once and nearly bred a litter from my first two kelpies, but things conspired against me and she had to be spayed during the season before I'd planned to try it. I'm just wondering if now I'm old enough and wise enough to give it a go. I still wouldn't do it for a few years but I'm wondering whether to get a bitch next instead and then I can make the choice of what I mate her to i.e. whether to go pure kelpie, kelpie x whippet, kelpie x collie or possibly kelpie x gundog?

I think my musings are partly because, in March next year, I'll be older than my mum so it gets you thinking about all the things you've achieved and all the things you've not done yet. I had hoped to have moved to Devon before I was older than her but, unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances, that move is on hold for the time being and I'm wondering if having a litter of pups is one other thing I'll regret not doing.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

I like the fact I bred a litter, I fret a bit that they might not all turn out as good as I hope, in the parting of them I worry trying to get good homes, permanent homes which is why the dog pup has been with me so long, I only bred the pups as I couldn't locate a pup anywhere else, if I had found a genuine lad with pups I'd never have bred, I go a bit over the top at times on things I'm passionate about.... I'd have no bother on rearing a litteragain but I'd buy in if at all possible... Saying that I am very happy with what I've bred, I got all good ratings on them bar one so far, but it's early days yet

Edited by jigsaw
  • Thanks 1