How kelpies doing?

8 minutes ago, Chunky11 said:

My father always said that a Springer Spaniel x Greyhound was the best dog for Ferreting & trapping. Trying to find this X is a different matter, I have been looking for one for years. 

Best bet for finding a dog like this is searching through the general big dog for sale websites or preloved  etc. Most are accidental matings, mine was, but I was lucky in that the owner of the spaniel dam was a game keeper who also  owned the lurcher sire. My mom nearly bought a cocker x whippet which also was on a general website. The other place I saw one advertised was a local pet store.....it was another accidental mating between a fellas cocker spaniel and saluki/ greyhound.

To be fair I couldn’t give a stuff if the dam had been a pet spaniel and the sire a pet sighthound, the offspring would still hunt more instinctively than most lurchers you see for sale.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another aussie type

Mine is turning out as I had hoped, Comes with me everywhere, she can go all day, But just lays quietly if there’s not much going on, Strong desire to work and hunt, can be a bit nervy sometimes

Sod it! I decided to be brave and do it again straight away. Noggin's on the left and Ned's on the right. This was taken on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. We went up Cawsand Beacon for the view but t

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Best bet for finding a dog like this is searching through the general big dog for sale websites or preloved  etc. Most are accidental matings, mine was, but I was lucky in that the owner of the spaniel dam was a game keeper who also  owned the lurcher sire. My mom nearly bought a cocker x whippet which also was on a general website. The other place I saw one advertised was a local pet store.....it was another accidental mating between a fellas cocker spaniel and saluki/ greyhound.

To be fair I couldn’t give a stuff if the dam had been a pet spaniel and the sire a pet sighthound, the offspring would still hunt more instinctively than most lurchers you see for sale.

Actually, all this talk of gundog crosses has jogged my memory: when I moved from Cumbria back to Hampshire I was "between dogs" for a while and, before I bought my collie x whippet, I went to see a litter of first cross labrador x greyhounds. I didn't come away with one simply because the dam was a greyhound and, when I asked about the sire, the owner admitted sheepishly that the sire lived locally but that the owners of the sire were unaware of the mating. I couldn't really be sure if what I was getting was therefore what I was paying for so decided to leave it, but I've often wondered how they turned out.

Anyway...sorry for the brief sojourn...back to Jigsaw's excellent kelpie x greyhounds! More photos please. Incidentally, I've not posted photos on here for ages as it always took me ages to get the hang of it. Do you still have to do it through photobucket or can you do it in other ways now e.g. saving a photo to my desktop etc and uploading it, then I could put some up of Noggin and Ned if you're interested in the ugly sods.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Neal said:

Actually, all this talk of gundog crosses has jogged my memory: when I moved from Cumbria back to Hampshire I was "between dogs" for a while and, before I bought my collie x whippet, I went to see a litter of first cross labrador x greyhounds. I didn't come away with one simply because the dam was a greyhound and, when I asked about the sire, the owner admitted sheepishly that the sire lived locally but that the owners of the sire were unaware of the mating. I couldn't really be sure if what I was getting was therefore what I was paying for so decided to leave it, but I've often wondered how they turned out.

Anyway...sorry for the brief sojourn...back to Jigsaw's excellent kelpie x greyhounds! More photos please. Incidentally, I've not posted photos on here for ages as it always took me ages to get the hang of it. Do you still have to do it through photobucket or can you do it in other ways now e.g. saving a photo to my desktop etc and uploading it, then I could put some up of Noggin and Ned if you're interested in the ugly sods.

No photo bucket reqd, click on reply then click "choose files" bottom left for new pics, or use "insert other media"  then "existing attachment" on bottom right for stuff you've previously used.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Neal said:

Another way.......easy if a little fiddly...and your patient.

If you have an iPad......open and write what you  need to write....keep it open, don’t press post, now open the iPad photo app,  go on the photo need to on the page where they are just thumb nail size.....hold your finger on pic for a second then drag it, now keeping your fingers on pic use your other hand to reopen the site and thread you were on, drag the pic over where you want it.

Now you need to see the flashing blue line that’s always there when you type, you then will see a little cross on your pic that is still under your finger, when you see the blue line and cross let go of your pic.....sometimes you have to wait a few seconds, be patient then press post. 

Edited by Shortstraw
15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Mines levelled out at 24ish, so not a huge dog but I like that extra bit height, unless she has squeezed in tractor with me ?

It’s a good height that, my collie greyhound bitch was around that height.

These days for me a small whippet sized lurcher, with a bit of speed removed would be fine....to be fair I’d probably be fine with a pure springer or springer whippet or kelpie whippet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As a pup I always thought of him as an ugly dog. I used to compare him to Noggin by saying that if Noggin was Brad Pitt or George Clooney then Ned would be Harvey Keitel or Robin Williams. Now he's two and has calmed down a bit he's more like Gary Oldman!?

He caught his first squirrel in March and has caught four more since then. I'm beginning to like him enough to be a tad annoyed at the fact he's only got one testicle.?

P.S. Shaaark: apologies for removing two "likes" from your last post but my chromebook is a bit sensitive and it kept selecting that instead of the "thanks"

Edited by Neal
extra info
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Neal said:

As a pup I always thought of him as an ugly dog. I used to compare him to Noggin by saying that if Noggin was Brad Pitt or George Clooney then Ned would be Harvey Keitel or Robin Williams. Now he's two and has calmed down a bit he's more like Gary Oldman!?

He caught his first squirrel in March and has caught four more since then. I'm beginning to like him enough to be a tad annoyed at the fact he's only got one testicle.?

Not casting aspersions here mate, but he looks very german shepherd in that pic. Certainly is a nice looking dog ?

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Not casting aspersions here mate, but he looks very german shepherd in that pic. Certainly is a nice looking dog ?

Actually, his ears are up more than usual in that photo as he's one of those kelpies with slightly floppy ears...his nickname is Gumby because his ears go flip-flop when he walks.

Noggin looks even more German Shepherd like (I'm not putting up another photo straight away though; I need a lie down after that) as his tail is longer than usual as well.

• Haha 1