How kelpies doing?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another aussie type

Mine is turning out as I had hoped, Comes with me everywhere, she can go all day, But just lays quietly if there’s not much going on, Strong desire to work and hunt, can be a bit nervy sometimes

Sod it! I decided to be brave and do it again straight away. Noggin's on the left and Ned's on the right. This was taken on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. We went up Cawsand Beacon for the view but t

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Neal said:

Wow! They're looking amazing!

I've ordered a new pure pup for later this year as I've decided that Ned simply isn't going to make it as an all round dog. 

Pure herder for allrounder ? ? 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Be too clever for you ?

? when I was a lad had abit a herder in me dog mate served me well taught me a lot ? 

you and me see cleverness in different ways mate is something that listens constantly really clever ? It’s not ever thinking for itself 

been obedient isn’t been clever mate ? 

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Deffo mate, I was told the same long before I got the pup, an iv not asked the dog to do nowt other than basic dog stuff, I like seeing dogs figure things out, always have, but she seems to instantly an instinctively know what I want ?

They thrive on hard work, I know a rough old cattle farmer that has big kelpies for half wild Brahma cattle, they live and work well into their teens. He has one retired at 19 and it stays home keeping the chickens from wandering too far, lol.

1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

The kelpies need to think for themselves when working big mobs on paddocks, sometimes hundreds of acres. I think they are more like a refined Oz cattle dog than a collie.

That’s a good point but you won’t find too many of the kelpies here are up to the standard. I’ve seen a couple of hard grafters but most have just been bought as fashion accessories by young shepherds / shepherdesses with social media accounts ? 

You want to see dogs working for themselves in big spaces, go and see a proper hill gather, those hill collies would make most kelpies look fairly daft. 

4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

A dog that does all he wants I take it ?

Basically, yes. He's a happy enough thing and everybody who meets him sings his praises but I simply don't get on with him.

Long story very short: when I bought my first kelpie back in 2000 it was simply to breed a litter of lurchers from but I secretly hoped he might be alright for a bit of bushing, ferreting etc. I simply fell in love with the old rascal and haven't had another lurcher since. I simply clicked with them. Loads of people told me I was mad as kelpies are hyperactive with no off-button but mine weren't. Mine were fine. Noggin is so laid back his nickname is Bob after Bob Marley. And then I got Ned. He's obviously the kind of kelpie that everybody else who doesn't like them has met. If he'd been my first, he'd have been my last.

• Like 1

? Back in the 1980's,..Kelpies were my first choice to 'improve' the contemporary rabbiting/mouching curs...?

Lots of water has flowed under lots of bridges (and a whole lot of fine fish alongside it)...and my own path took on a different direction,..but, I have always favoured this type of herder. 

So much to say,...so many opinions, anacdotes and exciting events to relate,,.but possibly best left for another time and another place. ? 

Suffice to say,..I still like to hear, all the news from lurcher lads that have chosen to take , "a walk on the wild side"...

Please, keep the posts coming....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Credit where it's due lads,there's not a bad looking dog in the whole litter, Don that bitch of yours is beautiful ? pal,she really stands out to me,I'd  like to try this cross out myself one day..until then I make do with my shaggy bull X?

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Neal said:

Basically, yes. He's a happy enough thing and everybody who meets him sings his praises but I simply don't get on with him.

Long story very short: when I bought my first kelpie back in 2000 it was simply to breed a litter of lurchers from but I secretly hoped he might be alright for a bit of bushing, ferreting etc. I simply fell in love with the old rascal and haven't had another lurcher since. I simply clicked with them. Loads of people told me I was mad as kelpies are hyperactive with no off-button but mine weren't. Mine were fine. Noggin is so laid back his nickname is Bob after Bob Marley. And then I got Ned. He's obviously the kind of kelpie that everybody else who doesn't like them has met. If he'd been my first, he'd have been my last.

I knew exactly what u ment neal ? never mind them divuts they touch willies 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1