How kelpies doing?

7 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

That’s a good point but you won’t find too many of the kelpies here are up to the standard. I’ve seen a couple of hard grafters but most have just been bought as fashion accessories by young shepherds / shepherdesses with social media accounts ? 

You want to see dogs working for themselves in big spaces, go and see a proper hill gather, those hill collies would make most kelpies look fairly daft. 

Shame  because kelpies are considered the number one stock dog worldwide, even imported for working reindeer. I doubt the collies would be close to the working standard of a work bred kelpie. Your idea of big spaces may not be mine with some stations opver here bigger than some countries.

• Like 4

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another aussie type

Mine is turning out as I had hoped, Comes with me everywhere, she can go all day, But just lays quietly if there’s not much going on, Strong desire to work and hunt, can be a bit nervy sometimes

Sod it! I decided to be brave and do it again straight away. Noggin's on the left and Ned's on the right. This was taken on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. We went up Cawsand Beacon for the view but t

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Shame  because kelpies are considered the number one stock dog worldwide, even imported for working reindeer. I doubt the collies would be close to the working standard of a work bred kelpie. Your idea of big spaces may not be mine with some stations opver here bigger than some countries.

Yeah and there's billabongs 2 contend wi isn't there mate 

6 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

We’re do you think acd or kelpie come from mate ? even you for that matter the good old United Kingdom ? 
and I doubt we sent our best blood over ? ? in fact debates I  have had  with you mate tells me we never ? ? ? 

48 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

We’re do you think acd or kelpie come from mate ? even you for that matter the good old United Kingdom ? 
and I doubt we sent our best blood over ? ? in fact debates I  have had  with you mate tells me we never ? ? ? 

Amazing how everything that was sent over improved so much on the original crappy stock. ?

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I think the Australian Cattle dog would not exist if not for wild dog blood and also most kepie lines.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

With all the heat, sand and open spaces here you think Salukis would be popular but for some strange reason they barely exist ? lol.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

With all the heat, sand and open spaces here you think Salukis would be popular but for some strange reason they barely exist ? lol.

That tells me everything I need to know mate every continent the saluki has landed on has excelled and improved what’s there except the Aussies lol 

what you catch hares with over ther mate not whippets and stags I do know ? 

7 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

That tells me everything I need to know mate every continent the saluki has landed on has excelled and improved what’s there except the Aussies lol 

what you catch hares with over ther mate not whippets and stags I do know ? 

Plenty of blokes hunt hares here with lurchers, which are often labelled staghounds here as the word lurcher is not used much. You rarely see Saluki blooded dogs, only in the original Bull Arab pig dogs.

10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

If I’m honest I would say that the best collies I’ve seen would wipe the floor with any Kelpie I’ve ever seen, I can’t think of much a good kelpie can do that a top collie can’t, and I can think of a lot of things that a good collie can do that a kelpie isn’t doing. 

And I accept that farms in oz are bigger than uk, but you were talking about working out of sight and on own initiative, and from my knowledge of stock work in oz, they aren’t exactly sending the jellies twenty miles back into the bush to gather stuff, but granted they are going off a way to work the bush and scrub and gather stuff unsighted. You watch a gooD hill collie working several thousand acres of rock, heather and peat to winkle out blackie, welshies or Cheviots and they are a very impressive beast to watch. 

Honestly, everyone bums up the kelpie, but I’ve never seen anything that’s impressed me enough to think about swapping, and I’ve had some good dogs here, including imports. Every time my collies came out on top. 

• Like 1

I see a litter on dogs.ie the other day but if your in England will have to have greyhound transporter bring it back. I knew a fella done door to service for 250 but I don't no now with brexit and stuff but also heard he goes back up north and crosses border that way. Atb

4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

If I’m honest I would say that the best collies I’ve seen would wipe the floor with any Kelpie I’ve ever seen, I can’t think of much a good kelpie can do that a top collie can’t, and I can think of a lot of things that a good collie can do that a kelpie isn’t doing. 

And I accept that farms in oz are bigger than uk, but you were talking about working out of sight and on own initiative, and from my knowledge of stock work in oz, they aren’t exactly sending the jellies twenty miles back into the bush to gather stuff, but granted they are going off a way to work the bush and scrub and gather stuff unsighted. You watch a gooD hill collie working several thousand acres of rock, heather and peat to winkle out blackie, welshies or Cheviots and they are a very impressive beast to watch. 

Honestly, everyone bums up the kelpie, but I’ve never seen anything that’s impressed me enough to think about swapping, and I’ve had some good dogs here, including imports. Every time my collies came out on top. 

There a sheep farmer by me good friend of mine he keeps greyhounds too he's got 2 old school mountain sheepdogs well I say old school but there just big dogs strong boned he's dog ain't far off 26tts I'd say, but you see him send the 2 dogs off up the comeragh mountains on there own few hours later and there at the farm with a flock of sheep very impressive to watch, and when we hunted a Glenn at back of farm with hounds if they was around they didn't mind getting involved in the hunt either 

Just now, fenman1# said:

There a sheep farmer by me good friend of mine he keeps greyhounds too he's got 2 old school mountain sheepdogs well I say old school but there just big dogs strong boned he's dog ain't far off 26tts I'd say, but you see him send the 2 dogs off up the comeragh mountains on there own few hours later and there at the farm with a flock of sheep very impressive to watch, and when we hunted a Glenn at back of farm with hounds if they was around they didn't mind getting involved in the hunt either 

Aye that would be the kind of dogs I’m talking about! 

There's a few videos on you tube out in oz lads using a few border collies to hunt boar the dogs basically round up wild pigs and the lads start shooting like mad c**ts.. But the old borders put the wild pigs on a plate for them 

• Haha 1