How kelpies doing?

On 24/08/2020 at 19:46, Neal said:

I get where you're coming from. Before I had Rusty (my first kelpie) back in 2000 I had a kelpie/collie x greyhound from Dave Sleight in 1998 (the one I sent you the photo of). I'd not bought the Countryman's Weekly for a couple of years so didn't know he'd bred a litter of whippet crosses until the whippet/greyhound crosses (Purdey's litter) came up. I originally wanted to hold out for him to breed another whippet x litter as, by this time, I'd met Dave and Gem (the bitch he kept who went on to win the lurcher Field Trial) and I really liked her (she looked more like a staffy cross whippet). Unfortunately, he didn't breed that cross again which is partly why I decided to go for Moss' litter instead i.e. greyhound cross. I guess I'm still hankering back to that type of dog.

No idea! I was just thinking aloud.? It was more a case of not wanting to rule anything out in the future and thinking that, when the time comes, I'd mate a future bitch to whatever was out there that I fancied at the time (trying to convince myself that I'm not kennel blind?). It was probably just a case of that I've always liked gundogs but never owned one...once again, another dog I've always liked was a one off in an article in the Shooting News which was a whippet cross with some labrador in it...didn't look anything like you'd expect though, more like a solid jet black whippet. I've always prefered the little whippet crosses that look nondescript but have that little something extra that nobody expects.

Ned's still only two so I probably won't be getting another pup for at least two years and then (even if she turned out good enough to breed from) another four years or so after that before a litter. Like Shortstraw was saying, I prefer taking the dogs out and watching them try their best and taking something home is just a bonus...then again that's what people with crap dogs always say!?

I’ve seen just a couple of lab x whippets. One recently which was stunning, but too tall for me personally. Was a pet, definitely see the Labrador, but was too tall for whippet in my eyes, but too lightly built for greyhound also....but apparently either the sire or dam was whippet.

The other two were litter mates, Sandy in colour and the size of a standard whippet, one slightly more stocky than the other, never saw them work, but the fella who kept them was ferreting mad and worked them regular, never said much about them other than they did what he wanted.

Was the one in shooting news many years back? I remember a page article about a Labrador x whippet which was all black, size more like a whippet or whippet terrier.....it was called topper....was a lovely looking dog

• Thanks 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another aussie type

Mine is turning out as I had hoped, Comes with me everywhere, she can go all day, But just lays quietly if there’s not much going on, Strong desire to work and hunt, can be a bit nervy sometimes

Sod it! I decided to be brave and do it again straight away. Noggin's on the left and Ned's on the right. This was taken on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. We went up Cawsand Beacon for the view but t

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I’ve seen just a couple of lab x whippets. One recently which was stunning, but too tall for me personally. Was a pet, definitely see the Labrador, but was too tall for whippet in my eyes, but too lightly built for greyhound also....but apparently either the sire or dam was whippet.

The other two were litter mates, Sandy in colour and the size of a standard whippet, one slightly more stocky than the other, never saw them work, but the fella who kept them was ferreting mad and worked them regular, never said much about them other than they did what he wanted.

Was the one in shooting news many years back? I remember a page article about a Labrador x whippet which was all black, size more like a whippet or whippet terrier.....it was called topper....was a lovely looking dog

Ah yes; that's the one! I thought I had a good memory but I'd forgotten it was called Topper. I've still got the article somewehere. I used to pull out the articles I liked and put them in a ring-binder...that's what made me stop buying it; I realised I'd not kept an article for ages.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Neal said:

Ah yes; that's the one! I thought I had a good memory but I'd forgotten it was called Topper. I've still got the article somewehere. I used to pull out the articles I liked and put them in a ring-binder...that's what made me stop buying it; I realised I'd not kept an article for ages.

I used to have loads of them, but think I got rid of lots when I moved, might have still got a few of the small a4 size shooting news. My memory is great for remembering the oddest of things, but rubbish at remembering what I want to remember.

5 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I used to have loads of them, but think I got rid of lots when I moved, might have still got a few of the small a4 size shooting news. My memory is great for remembering the oddest of things, but rubbish at remembering what I want to remember.

Me too...we've both forgotten this is a kelpie lurcher thread!?

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Well it was a year ago today I set off to cork to collect me pup, Been eventful year, had a serious load on me plate with family an health an other shit but the kelpiex has been a pleasure to have around (75% of the time ?) not been plain sailing, especially the last few weeks now we have started upping her work load, but she still here an still ticking all the right boxes, I’ll grab some pics later of her now, would be nice to see the rest now that’s them over a year old ?

Is what u was hoping work wise only young I know

With herding dog lurcher composites, its all about keeping everyone happy....?

In my experience, you have really got to want one, or you might end up,.. a tad disappointed...?

I've kept them for several decades , so I know the score,.but for many lads, they are simply a 'bridge too far,' and hardly worth the effort.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye mate, luckily it’s all I wanted so far anyways, time will tell tho, only jist starting off tho mate, loads an I mean loads a drive, you’d be surprised tbh, intelligent, little bit more sensitive jist now than usual but I think that’s part age an part is having a few little conversations recently to reinforce the rules ? but she still here, living the high life an enjoying herself, we away at weekend for a wedding so as soon as we back from that it’s all systems go ?? 

Good stuff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

With herding dog lurcher composites, its all about keeping everyone happy....?

In my experience, you have really got to want one, or you might end up,.. a tad disappointed...?

I've kept them for several decades , so I know the score,.but for many lads, they are simply a 'bridge too far,' and hardly worth the effort.?

_MG_6376.JPG

A up Phil still on the odd curry