Anyone in Somerset? Can you bush with one dog?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Never done if or even seen it before. I own the sire and dam and both do what i want so seemed reasonable to try. I do a lot of thick bramble clumps with not much space between so im looking for t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

If your shooting over the dog a white dog is a good idea, as it’s easier to differentiate in a split second over prey ?

That was the main reason I didn't try to use my red and tan kelpie on the local shoot, even though he was a great bushing dog with a fantastic nose and real determination; I'd have been worried someone could have mistaken him for a fox. Perfectly understandable as there were several times I spotted a fox appearing from the bushes ahead and called out, "Rusty: fox!" only for the fox to wag its tail and come bimbling over towards me.

• Like 2

We are this year since mate lost his terrier my bloke has been going ok a good tracking collar is a must especially with a sillent dog so you can get a head of him to take care of the game coming out of ahead of the dog. We use this method in a bamboo thicket along a river for foxes.

On 13/07/2020 at 19:12, Tyla said:

Ive just bred a litter of whippet russell over pat springer. They might've been handy for what you want 

Sounds an interesting mix that, have you done it before? Be interested to see a picture of those pups.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Neal said:

That was the main reason I didn't try to use my red and tan kelpie on the local shoot, even though he was a great bushing dog with a fantastic nose and real determination; I'd have been worried someone could have mistaken him for a fox. Perfectly understandable as there were several times I spotted a fox appearing from the bushes ahead and called out, "Rusty: fox!" only for the fox to wag its tail and come bimbling over towards me.

Keeper almost shot one of my chocolate terriers last season, mistaking her for a fox?I once watched a lad shoot his own dog.... Rabbit bolted along  a hedge, lads border had his head down a hole, Rabbit went past it and the silly cnut fired 2 shots at it?poor f***ing dog. 

A few years ago I was invited on a boundary day so long as I brought my little mongrel terrier as they were short on dogs. I was nattering with the keeper while walking to a drive when a lemon cocker exploded out of a hedge and my bitch f***ing rocketed after it! I nearly shit myself thinking she was going to get me in bother but she realised it wasn't matey and lost interest. Fortunately the keeper was laughing at it and I relaxed again. :laugh:

I used to have a cracking little border Russel bitch back in the days when digging was allowed, took her out flushing fox,s for the guns and yes only done it the once, luckily she never got shot but that was more because of me shouting at the guns when she came out as a few times they raised there guns to her and I could see were it was going, so yes if I was rough shooting over a dog I’d make sure it was predominantly white, even more important if you go out with others as well??

I had a red lakelandx with a real foxy look about him. Use to tape a hi viz on him on fox drives, there wasnt much left of hi viz by the end of the day but it saved him a few times

• Like 1
On 15/07/2020 at 05:13, Neal said:

I talk to a guy in NZ thats uses irsh terriers for bushing and hunting pigs. they are doing really well for him but no foxes in NZ so they do not look like a target. They would be no good here in Aus as some dumb b*****d would shoot them first time out for sure. 

Edited by stevemac
On 15/07/2020 at 10:25, ellir0305 said:

Sounds an interesting mix that, have you done it before? Be interested to see a picture of those pups.

No. Never done if or even seen it before. I own the sire and dam and both do what i want so seemed reasonable to try. I do a lot of thick bramble clumps with not much space between so im looking for them to be bushers with a bit of a sprint to them. We shall what happens 

20200716_071016.jpg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Tyla said:

No. Never done if or even seen it before. I own the sire and dam and both do what i want so seemed reasonable to try. I do a lot of thick bramble clumps with not much space between so im looking for them to be bushers with a bit of a sprint to them. We shall what happens 

20200716_071016.jpg

I do like the look of those two, both look as though they are going to be quite racy . 

1 minute ago, day and night walker said:

I do like the look of those two, both look as though they are going to be quite racy . 

They are racy but little, 15 tts at just over 5 months. At one point i thought they were going to be mini lurchers but they've kept the build but not made the height. The choclate bitch is nuts, had a rabbit already and keen on cover. The choc and white does a bit more thinking and hunts like f**k in the long grass but isnt keen on thick cover yet. She's also had a kill bit was only a young moor hen. They are young yet, by end of the season i'd like to think i'll have an idea of what i've got

• Like 2

When I was younger a Black cocker spaniel got shot when it was coursing a fox in the open! What ever made the chap fire I do not know! And know of a lab got shot when she went to come under wire. Again why people shoot ground game when it’s not in the open or behind guns I do not know!

On 16/07/2020 at 18:29, Tyla said:

They are racy but little, 15 tts at just over 5 months. At one point i thought they were going to be mini lurchers but they've kept the build but not made the height. The choclate bitch is nuts, had a rabbit already and keen on cover. The choc and white does a bit more thinking and hunts like f**k in the long grass but isnt keen on thick cover yet. She's also had a kill bit was only a young moor hen. They are young yet, by end of the season i'd like to think i'll have an idea of what i've got

They seem to be coming on great and catching at such a young age i'd guess they are going to become very handy indeed atb.

Edited by day and night walker
  • Like 1