Sign in to follow this  
baker boy

RIP Jack Charlton

Read somewhere that jack had a beat on the shannon written into his  irish contract, looking at those vids its sickening to see what state this country has become, all our fieldsports traditions eroded in the name of so called progress, there are some people you really would have liked to know in your lifetime, in my book Jack rates high on that list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Sounds the sort of straight talking chap that would make for interesting conversation i heard an interview with him once and he was being asked about all his sporting achievements and it stuck with me how proud he was of his brother....." what a player wor kid was " he kept saying....he obviously acknowledged what a great player Bobby was and it was as though having him for a brother outshone any moments of his own i thought it was really sweet.

In his biography he said that when someone told him that some football scouts were at his house he thought they had come to sign young Bobby.

After the World Cup win he and Bobby clubbed together and bought their Mum a new house. Sadly the brothers didn't get on in later life much to his sadness.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

In his biography he said that when someone told him that some football scouts were at his house he thought they had come to sign young Bobby.

After the World Cup win he and Bobby clubbed together and bought their Mum a new house. Sadly the brothers didn't get on in later life much to his sadness.

Did he not start work down the pit?

I watched a programme where he said he very rarely paid for any meals out as he would always pay by cheque and most people would keep them for the autograph ........

40 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Did he not start work down the pit?

Briefly and also applied to join the police and did some National Service.

• Thanks 1

There was a good show of respect and affection for the man in Ashington yesterday. The procession being led by the Northumbrian pipes was a nice touch. I doubt the same will be said when that Green party councillor pops his clogs.

• Like 2

They did a mural of him on the side of a building in Ballina last week overlooking the The Ridge Pool which is a well know prime salmon spot and one he would have fished many times, they unveiled it this week.

• Like 8

RIP Jack. True working class gent. 

Arry

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I wonder if he made up with Bobby before he passed away. 

not sure. it said on the north east news last night that Bobby was not at his funeral due to health reasons.

was a hell of a turn out in his home town. just showed what kind of respect his town had for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

There was a good show of respect and affection for the man in Ashington yesterday. The procession being led by the Northumbrian pipes was a nice touch. I doubt the same will be said when that Green party councillor pops his clogs.

A very good pal of mine played the Pipes for him back in the early 90s

53 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A very good pal of mine played the Pipes for him back in the early 90s

There is something about the pipes, the Northumbrian, Uilleann and the Bag pipes that has always made the hairs stand up. Something in the blood, something ancient. But also relevant to who we are.

• Like 5

My mate Started learning the Bagpipes in his early teens ' taught by another local Colliery lad .

He joined the Scots Guards as a Piper and played a couple of Edinburgh Royal Military Tattoo's as well as numerous other events inc playing for the Queen' Jack Charlton ' Bradley Lowerys Funeral'  and many other things inc playing for my Aunt on her death bed which she loved ( you couldn't hear yourself think lol )

He plays the Northumbrian Pipes ' Whistles ' Flute's ect all self taught.

• Like 4

I've just been re-reading his autobiography and found loads of stuff I had forgotten about. He was Christened John like all the elder males in his family, and all were known as Jack. He and Bobby played for an amateur team that once lost 18-0. Imagine that! 😀  He and Bobby had four uncles who were pro's and also a second-cousin the famous Jacky Milburn.

When he was young he and Bobby used to get invited to Leeds where two of his uncles were pro's and also to Chesterfield where another uncle played. The first team shirt he ever wore was Chesterfield's. He declined the first invitation to join Leeds as both he and his Mother thought that he wasn't good enough and he had a few little earners going on that made him quite wealthy for a 15 year old. After training for the pit he went underground and hated it. He resigned and applied to join the police cadets. He got an interview for the police but in the meantime the Leeds scout came back and asked him to play in a trial. He had to choose going to the police interview or getting the train to Leeds. The rest is history.

He also says that at the time there were often two or three club scouts at their house all trying to sign young Bobby. Everyone knew Bobby was going to be a star, but Jack was as surprised as anyone of the success that he himself achieved.

As a manager he never had a contract. It was always on the basis that he could walk or be sacked at any time.

My hero!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 13/07/2020 at 18:57, socks said:

I watched a programme where he said he very rarely paid for any meals out as he would always pay by cheque and most people would keep them for the autograph ........

i just watched one and he said in an interview with garth crooks that story was a load of crap ...😀

• Like 1