RIP Jack Charlton

I was in Ireland fishing Loch Conn   and had a day on the ridge pool in Ballina , a guy started talking to me from the bank , but I’d just had a take and was busy recasting and stripping back . He asked me what fly I was using , and I answered him but didn’t look at him . He wished me tight lines and walked off . A mate told  me afterwards that it was Jack Charlton , now I wouldn’t have cared about any other person but to me he is a legend, I loved watching Jacks game and respect his sporting achievements . I really regret not having seen him properly and said hello . RIP Jack

• Like 7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad a proper mans man not like the shampoo advertising, take a knee because I,m told to, over manicured, over payed bunch of Fanny’s that have replaced him, 

My enduring memory of Jacky Charlton is of a debate he took part in, on TV. It was about Field Sports. There was Jack, and another guy, on the one side. Sat in their chairs facing - across a low table

They did a mural of him on the side of a building in Ballina last week overlooking the The Ridge Pool which is a well know prime salmon spot and one he would have fished many times, they unveiled it t

My enduring memory of Jacky Charlton is of a debate he took part in, on TV. It was about Field Sports. There was Jack, and another guy, on the one side. Sat in their chairs facing - across a low table, I think? - Tony Blackburn (One time BBC Radio 1 DJ) and some other anti.

I can't remember who the Compare was. But, obviously, the Anti side questioned Jack and co's involvement in Field Sports. Arguments, for both sides, were exchanged. Then, Blackburns side kick said Something .....

It was like a bomb going off in the studio! The loon had tried to spin some line of bullshit and Jack spotted it. I can't remember what the shit was. I just remember Jack Charlton bloody near coming out of his chair and Roaring at the Anti:

" Blah, blah, blah " (Forgotten with the years. Basically, 'That's bullshit, and you know it!' But ending with) " You, son are A Bloody LIAR!!!!!

🤣 Fukcing Priceless!!! No fukcs given ~ No shit taken! I'll never forget that moment. That was the Great Man, Jack Charlton!

• Like 8
15 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I was in Ireland fishing Loch Conn   and had a day on the ridge pool in Ballina , a guy started talking to me from the bank , but I’d just had a take and was busy recasting and stripping back . He asked me what fly I was using , and I answered him but didn’t look at him . He wished me tight lines and walked off . A mate told  me afterwards that it was Jack Charlton , now I wouldn’t have cared about any other person but to me he is a legend, I loved watching Jacks game and respect his sporting achievements . I really regret not having seen him properly and said hello . RIP Jack

Me and my brother had a yarn with him beside the French man's pool in ballina. 

• Like 1

I see that some hero, a Green Party Councillor for York has posted his pleasure at the passing of Jack. Only to be expected these days of course. But then he  apologised. Why? He is entitled to his opinion and as he is fortunate to live in the most democratic and liberal country in the world he is entitled to express his opinion. Backtracking just makes him an hypocrite and a coward as well as a prick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sounds the sort of straight talking chap that would make for interesting conversation i heard an interview with him once and he was being asked about all his sporting achievements and it stuck with me how proud he was of his brother....." what a player wor kid was " he kept saying....he obviously acknowledged what a great player Bobby was and it was as though having him for a brother outshone any moments of his own i thought it was really sweet.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Sounds the sort of straight talking chap that would make for interesting conversation i heard an interview with him once and he was being asked about all his sporting achievements and it stuck with me how proud he was of his brother....." what a player wor kid was " he kept saying....he obviously acknowledged what a great player Bobby was and it was as though having him for a brother outshone any moments of his own i thought it was really sweet.

He came across to me as the type of normal bloke a lot of us could identify with

• Like 2

I'd say he was what you could really call a working class hero.

Stayed with the same club his entire career.

Used to have his breakfast at the Seamans Mission at North Shields, drank in normal pubs and Working Men's Clubs, shopped in Asda.

Loved his fishing and field sports; none of this celebrities jumping on band wagons shit, couldn't really see him "taking the knee"

Old school, say it as he seen it.

Did a lot for charity, but didn't shout about it.

In other words, a decent, normal bloke who made good at his sport.

Cheers.

• Like 3