RIP Jack Charlton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sad a proper mans man not like the shampoo advertising, take a knee because I,m told to, over manicured, over payed bunch of Fanny’s that have replaced him, 

My enduring memory of Jacky Charlton is of a debate he took part in, on TV. It was about Field Sports. There was Jack, and another guy, on the one side. Sat in their chairs facing - across a low table

They did a mural of him on the side of a building in Ballina last week overlooking the The Ridge Pool which is a well know prime salmon spot and one he would have fished many times, they unveiled it t

I remember seeing him in Asda at the Metro Centre some years back; he couldn't get his shopping done because of people wanting to talk to him and shake his hand !

Ive got the full set of "Jacks Game" DVD's, he was a keen field sportsman and fisherman

His younger brother, Tommy, used to have racing whippets back in the 60's .

Cheers.

• Like 5

RIP. I don't think that the people in control of what the public see and think these days  would allow TV programmes to be made showing a popular and working class celebrity enjoying field sports.

I loved when being interviewed on Parkinson and asked his greatest sporting achievement and replied "1st left and right on pheasant".

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 6

It must have been hard being the brother of one of this country’s greatest sporting icons , but what a man . 

there’s a little fishery near me That he used to come to.  I’m not into fishing at all but a few of my pals are . Including a lad who was born with a few disabilities. Jack charlton paid for them all to have a week on the bank there When he seen them signing in . this was about 94ish 
Always liked the man Before and after that ! 

He was my hero on the field and off it. As a youngster I wore the white number 5 shirt having been introduced to football when we moved to Leeds.That was my position and he was the role model.  I saw him score on his 600th appearance and went to one of his seminars after he retired and took up coaching. What you saw was what you got. A nice bloke and a much under appreciated footballer. He once said that he wasn't the best footballer, but he stopped a lot of good footballers playing well.

RIP Wor Jackie

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

It must have been hard being the brother of one of this country’s greatest sporting icons , but what a man . 

there’s a little fishery near me That he used to come to.  I’m not into fishing at all but a few of my pals are . Including a lad who was born with a few disabilities. Jack charlton paid for them all to have a week on the bank there When he seen them signing in . this was about 94ish 
Always liked the man Before and after that ! 

He sponsored a fishing competition for disabled kids at Keilder. We used to fish there the day after, as you knew it would have been well stocked for the competition !

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1