Do I really need a ferret finder

1 hour ago, Balaur said:

First time I owned one , tried a dead Warren with some young ferrets, didn't put collar on tight enough ended up with 6/7 foot dig for a collar never dug so far for neither ferret or rabbit. Bloody locators....

That wanna the locators fault now was it ? ? 

1 hour ago, Balaur said:

Well if we hadn't had the locator we wouldn't have had to dig ???

You not the first who has had to dig  4 a collar but maybe not that deep ? I still wunna go ferreting without one remembering what it was like. Before them ? ? 

I know they are widely used and useful but do you have to dig for ferrets caught up on roots much?I know I've had to hack through blackberry to get a bushing terrier out,caught up on it's collar a couple of times.

Edited by Aussie Whip
1 hour ago, socks said:

I’ve never had a ferret caught up by the collar ......

Nor have I. ...

The young fella I went out ferreting with in Australia a few year back used locators Ausie whipp.....mind we didn't have a dig all day...

Nice to be out ferreting in shorts and trainers..

To answer the question though....no you don't need a locator ....you can catch rabbits without them....I still sometimes go for a wander with a ferret in me pocket....no locator or spade...just ferret and dog....

But they are a godsend. ...and I do prefer to have them on the ferret

• Like 1

For payed ferreting they are a must. You need the job to be quick and slick as time is money so as soon as You think the ferret is holed up you need to be able to dig it out and move on. 

I did a job on a big graveyard at the end of last year and had a mark on a ferret that was obviously stuck and didn’t show. Blocked up the holes set a catch alive trap and went back the next day. No ferret so we had to dig 6 foot to get her out ... without the collar she would have had a slow death stuck underground .......

59 minutes ago, socks said:

For payed ferreting they are a must. You need the job to be quick and slick as time is money so as soon as You think the ferret is holed up you need to be able to dig it out and move on. 

I did a job on a big graveyard at the end of last year and had a mark on a ferret that was obviously stuck and didn’t show. Blocked up the holes set a catch alive trap and went back the next day. No ferret so we had to dig 6 foot to get her out ... without the collar she would have had a slow death stuck underground .......

On a side note... Did you have to ask for permission to dig in the graveyard before retrieving the ferret?

As Ive been asked to do one but said it's not season yet but they want me to do it.

FF

2 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

On a side note... Did you have to ask for permission to dig in the graveyard before retrieving the ferret?

As Ive been asked to do one but said it's not season yet but they want me to do it.

FF

Yes had to get permission from the council ... we were lucky in the fact that is was the old side of the cemetery with the graves being over 100 years old ......

• Thanks 1

Lost my best hob yet chancing it with just a collar and bells on. He was in a massive sand bury with holes everywhere. Stayed until it went dark, went back early hours of the morning rattling the tin I trained them to come to for feeding, nothing. He was later found run over by a car. That day I ordered a mk3m finder and wouldn’t put a ferret to ground without a locator ?

• Like 3