Do I really need a ferret finder

I've been looking into ferret finders but I though surely as ferrets have been round for thousands of years they wouldn't be stupid enough to to get stuck down em. But when I loed at the prices I was shocked and dose no one think they're a tad bit overpriced. Regards Bill

Well I have being using ferrets for around 30 years and never found the need for them. I know  of a few old timers who still ferret and don’t use ferret locators a lot of the ground I ferret is like concrete and you wouldn’t even try to dig. I have being lucky to have not lost a ferret yet. They have held me up on the time but not very often and the ferrets are worked 2 to 3 times a month. I think it is a personal choice and on how good your ferrets are. 

• Like 2

If you want to spend all day waiting for your ferret to surface, or go home and leave your ferret behind good on you , but imo ferret finder is a must will put more rabbits in the bag and save you a lot of time.

• Like 7

You  will have a lot of Replies  from people who say they never use them , their Ferret dos not stay , i whistle  and they come out  , or the old favourite    Feeding and bush craft , well they are all lying b*****ds  , over the years there has been six people on this site who have said they will show me and prove me wrong .........Guess What  not one of the lying b*****ds has ever turned up !!!!!!!! i  have fore gotten  about the pack of Lunatics that will tell you how their Ferret will drag the rabbit out the second it has killed it  apparently they will do this feat up to 5 time a day.

micks pics 064.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If you do a couple of hours on a Sunday morning on a field with nice shallow burrows you could  probably get by without one . try charging for rabbit control  or  working big deep burrows  you will soon find out you need one . Another favorite of mine My ferret kills ever rabbit in the burrow i don't need a locator , try digging down to a mark and finding a backed up rabbit with the ferret scratching its a*se , The ferret comes out  you pick it up and before your down the farm drive all these rabbits with bare backsides are outside the warren . Next time you go there the second word is OFF farmers always have folk chapping at there door willing to ferret for free to get a foot in the door  if your asked to kill all the rabbits thats what you do unless you dig down to a ferret how do you know ?.

• Like 2

I have an old Deben MK1 finder that I got quite cheap at a boot sale of all places.

I don't use the finder that much only on the bigger warrens in hedge lines really. If one ferret stays down a while I'll collar up the other one and send it in to find the other.

I would say it's a good idea to have one, as said 150 for a hobby is nothing really.

I spend that on pellets per year...

FF

• Like 3

Never used one as a kid as I couldn’t afford one and had to sit around for hours waiting for it to come  out . Some people say a ferret  that stays is no good ,,, I say bollox to that, a ferrets job is to go down scare rabbits out and if they won’t leave then kill them and Then  you break through and remove ferret, if a ferret kills a rabbit first set you get to then decided have a good feed you could potentially be waiting couple hour for it to feed sleep then decide have nosey around ,, and all this could be happening 12 inch under your foot and without a ferret locater you’ll never no , 

stupid going ferreting with out one really 

and for people who say they have ferrets that won’t stay to ground there either full of shit or leaving dead rabbits to ground or there ferrets getting kicked off , 

• Like 2

i got a dog ferret work it collared dug to it a couple times just under the turf ferret wont stay with a rabbit very long at all its handy to have tbh had a couple ferrets similar you can walk places without a spade dog marks drop ferret in sit on box and just go about like that. You can go without a locator if you just out for sport but chances are you will come unstuck eventually. Never had a ferret sleep if it done that on me it wouldnt be coming home. 

As Gus said not many over here use them mainly due to the hard ground.I've never lost a ferret in 40 years (apart from one to a snake and one to a feral cat)and rarely have to wait very long, I'm in no rush anyway. The hobs do kill some underground,just part of ferreting in Oz.

• Like 1

Anyone got a good ferret finder affordable and one that comes with two collars will be much appreciated, in attached to my ferrets had em since they were babies and i don't think I'll risk losin em much appreciated for all you're replies