Start getting them miles in

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Season be on us soon enough, start getting the miles in with the dogs.  Bit of mixed mooching/running about like a lunatic and some road work in get them feet nice tight and strong. Pic from

Been getting the miles in and getting trimmed up now. ready to roll 

I just let my bitch free run, chasing this and that, she finds her own stuff if it's about.... Drop a few more pounds and she should be good to go come the season, the more stuff she gets behind and d

Posted Images

On 15/07/2020 at 16:07, SheepChaser said:

Good explanation thanks. 

I wonder how many folk ever have their running dog at the peak of physical fitness, as fit as they possibly could be? Very few I imagine. 

Oh apart from the lads “grafting their dogs seven days / nights a week” ? ? 

I’ve seen some absolutely prime specimens when being prepped for what they do 

for some the conditioning is the reasons for the running 

On 13/07/2020 at 14:40, Shadow100 said:

Dog gets fitter as the season goes on, at some point they’ll reach their ‘peak fitness’ in other words as fit as that dog can be, but they can’t hold that level of fitness forever, after a certain amount of hard work they start to get tired/sore and they go back the way a bit, in an ideal world you’d build up slow Sep/Oct, up a gear November time when the grounds bang on & the dog will be at its fittest for Dec/Jan/Feb when the quarry’s at its strongest.

Thats my understanding of it, all dogs will get fit at different rates and hold good levels for different times but what he means is, if you start jogging them mid summer and run the legs off them Sep/Oct they’ll need a lay off mid season, whereas a dog that’s been managed properly will be able to go right through till the end of the season

That’s a very good post that to simplyfy a complicated cycle as you will know that other factors can get in the way .??

On 08/07/2020 at 16:27, jcm said:

Season be on us soon enough, start getting the miles in with the dogs. 

Bit of mixed mooching/running about like a lunatic and some road work in get them feet nice tight and strong.

Pic from yesterday 

IMG_20200707_174927_723.jpg.51bc88dfaf787ba965b64720f95fc04f.jpg

Lovely looking animal is that,really nice type, best of luck for the forthcoming season, if the dog works as good as it looks your on a winner ?

• Like 1

We’ve upped the miles last couple of weeks trying to atleast do 2 hours free running of an evening before dark as we were only doing an hour a day. We do the odd morning aswel if I wake early enough. Young dog seems to be taking shape a little quicker but he don’t stop from the time we out till he back on his lead. Can’t wait for season to start and after finishing like we did last season I’ve high hopes for him. Roll on the next couple of months Atb Igz

FBDC5E96-41D7-45D2-A7B3-F7F437785974.jpeg

9783B2DA-6564-407F-860B-04DC46D33FDA.jpeg

E4ED3085-967F-4927-81AF-561BCF53FE5B.jpeg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Igz said:

We’ve upped the miles last couple of weeks trying to atleast do 2 hours free running of an evening before dark as we were only doing an hour a day. We do the odd morning aswel if I wake early enough. Young dog seems to be taking shape a little quicker but he don’t stop from the time we out till he back on his lead. Can’t wait for season to start and after finishing like we did last season I’ve high hopes for him. Roll on the next couple of months Atb Igz

FBDC5E96-41D7-45D2-A7B3-F7F437785974.jpeg

9783B2DA-6564-407F-860B-04DC46D33FDA.jpeg

E4ED3085-967F-4927-81AF-561BCF53FE5B.jpeg

If u wake urly enough thats not very dedicated igzy, I get up half an hour before I go 2 bed 2 tek mine out for 12 hours before doing a 20 hour shift downt pit for 2 and 6 a year

• Haha 1
On 15/07/2020 at 16:07, SheepChaser said:

Good explanation thanks. 

I wonder how many folk ever have their running dog at the peak of physical fitness, as fit as they possibly could be? Very few I imagine. 

Oh apart from the lads “grafting their dogs seven days / nights a week” ? ? 

me..well to the best of my ability..run every morn/night on me bike,

1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

5 miles up and down the beach every day gets them round about, and mooches with the pup in between 

E52CAA95-6395-4073-BB9A-6C18A3CFDE44.jpeg

C2115A9F-F7CA-426E-8F14-41F9FCE19C5C.jpeg

Never mind walking up the beach when I were your age I used 2 swim the channel 2 ireland give the lads a thashing at the hares then swim back before lunchtime 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Never mind walking up the beach when I were your age I used 2 swim the channel 2 ireland give the lads a thashing at the hares then swim back before lunchtime 

Did you steal that from whins autobiography

• Haha 1