Start getting them miles in

1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

Dog gets fitter as the season goes on, at some point they’ll reach their ‘peak fitness’ in other words as fit as that dog can be, but they can’t hold that level of fitness forever, after a certain amount of hard work they start to get tired/sore and they go back the way a bit, in an ideal world you’d build up slow Sep/Oct, up a gear November time when the grounds bang on & the dog will be at its fittest for Dec/Jan/Feb when the quarry’s at its strongest.

Thats my understanding of it, all dogs will get fit at different rates and hold good levels for different times but what he means is, if you start jogging them mid summer and run the legs off them Sep/Oct they’ll need a lay off mid season, whereas a dog that’s been managed properly will be able to go right through till the end of the season

I thought no one could be more long winded than poxon 

I were wrong ?

• Haha 5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Season be on us soon enough, start getting the miles in with the dogs.  Bit of mixed mooching/running about like a lunatic and some road work in get them feet nice tight and strong. Pic from

Been getting the miles in and getting trimmed up now. ready to roll 

I just let my bitch free run, chasing this and that, she finds her own stuff if it's about.... Drop a few more pounds and she should be good to go come the season, the more stuff she gets behind and d

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Dog gets fitter as the season goes on, at some point they’ll reach their ‘peak fitness’ in other words as fit as that dog can be, but they can’t hold that level of fitness forever, after a certain amount of hard work they start to get tired/sore and they go back the way a bit, in an ideal world you’d build up slow Sep/Oct, up a gear November time when the grounds bang on & the dog will be at its fittest for Dec/Jan/Feb when the quarry’s at its strongest.

Thats my understanding of it, all dogs will get fit at different rates and hold good levels for different times but what he means is, if you start jogging them mid summer and run the legs off them Sep/Oct they’ll need a lay off mid season, whereas a dog that’s been managed properly will be able to go right through till the end of the season

That’s exactly what I was getting at shadow In a nut shell 

No need for me to do my usual sA????

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

I thought no one could be more long winded than poxon 

I were wrong ?

5 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s exactly what I was getting at shadow In a nut shell 

No need for me to do my usual sA????

To be honest, I thought shadow's post was pretty brief, compared to some of your sermons P, no offence like. I enjoy the way you explain your actions/thoughts etc. Personally I haven't got the patience or willpower, to explain myself to people the way that you do ??

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, shaaark said:

To be honest, I thought shadow's post was pretty brief, compared to some of your sermons P, no offence like. I enjoy the way you explain your actions/thoughts etc. Personally I haven't got the patience or willpower, to explain myself to people the way that you do ??

None taken???Mate I’m nearly to that point my self to be honest I think to my self a lot of time why even bother I’ve just waisted my time 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Getting a few miles in with them doesn't get dogs fit it gets them ready to run tightened up etc helping avoid unnecessary injury's , getting them behind game regular builds fitness.

2types of fit there’s fit an running fit that’s the way I look at it anyway 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jcm said:

I used to always keep mine ticking over but with lock down etc iv not been out as much 

I was out 5/6 hrs a day, everyday at the start of lockdown,  loved it, no fuckers about.. averaging around 10/15 miles a day general mooching, walking with a catty... Dog was shaping up nicely.... Then came in season?I started back to work 6 weeks ago, and been flat out doing private work every weekend since,get my truck sorted for the season and new motor for her indoors, just bought a road registered quad, try and get my bitch running alongside it this weekend ?if that fails, then I'll just use it to chase and run the cnuts over?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Could u explain further d 

??nearly silenced fella ain’t got the will to debate no longer it’s a pointless exercise I’d rather put that time waisted in to my dog tbh than debate with some muppet over thinternet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, poxon said:

??nearly silenced fella ain’t got the will to debate no longer it’s a pointless exercise I’d rather put that time waisted in to my dog tbh than debate with some muppet over thinternet 

Don't tek it personally d I for 1 love a good long post if I've insulted thee I apologise the thought of your diminished will saddens me 

• Haha 1

I just let my bitch free run, chasing this and that, she finds her own stuff if it's about.... Drop a few more pounds and she should be good to go come the season, the more stuff she gets behind and drops, the more her fitness will climb imo... sketch-1594804305071.png.b903372822c1480de3c0de911c4a4c58.png

• Like 11
On 13/07/2020 at 14:40, Shadow100 said:

Good explanation thanks. 

I wonder how many folk ever have their running dog at the peak of physical fitness, as fit as they possibly could be? Very few I imagine. 

Oh apart from the lads “grafting their dogs seven days / nights a week” ? ? 

• Like 3