Lee Imperial Powder Dippers

Hello,

Does anyone have a set of these old version Imperial measures Lee Powder dippers. They are usually red or sometimes black in colour. In particular I am wanting the .108 measure from the set
Will gladly pay for them.

The imperial ones sit in between the new metric ones in terms of volume. As I only load .223 I would only use the 108 imperial one as it sits between 1.6 and 1.9cc So yes I would only load that specific volume should it be suited to my rifle. 

I have a Lee Powder loader so different volumes are not too much of an issue to set up but once I know my ideal load using scales and powder loaders then I would like to set up a dipper to measure out that volume too. It may take some fettling with a reamer

I have a friend who loads bigger stuff so he may have a use for the others in a set should I get one

23 hours ago, tsuobi said:

Hello,

Does anyone have a set of these old version Imperial measures Lee Powder dippers. They are usually red or sometimes black in colour. In particular I am wanting the .108 measure from the set
Will gladly pay for them.

Are you a beginner at reloading rifle ammunition.?   If so how or why have you decided to use a dipping method. There is a minor flaw in the volume dipped idea in as much as you will be restricted to a specific powder. To get the best out of reloading for a particular gun it can take many different combinations of powder / bullet. There are many on here who will help you just keep asking questions. 

Edited by Meece

Thank you for the reply Meece. I learnt long ago to ask as there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Yes fairly new to reloading. 

I am restricted somewhat on powders on what my RFD stocks which is predominantly Vihtavouri.

As you can appreciate powder isn't cheap so I am not wanting to have to buy too many of them, so I will be sticking with either the N130 or N133 for the .223 with Sierra 55g Blitz. This is based mainly on reading up on it and some input from a bench rest shooter, not from my actual loading experience, which is not great.

My thought was to safely work up in  loads with either of these 2 powders by weight using the scales and once I know my preferred load then make/modify a dipper to give me that particular loading by volume.

• Like 1

"Many scoff using powder measures but in fact using a consistent method very accurate charges can be thrown."

Some benchrest shooters use volym messures for powder instead of weight. 

Then I tested my blackpowder messure  against my scale I had only only +-0,1grain (weight) difference between the charges.

On 07/07/2020 at 20:40, tsuobi said:

Thank you for the reply Meece. I learnt long ago to ask as there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Yes fairly new to reloading. 

I am restricted somewhat on powders on what my RFD stocks which is predominantly Vihtavouri.

As you can appreciate powder isn't cheap so I am not wanting to have to buy too many of them, so I will be sticking with either the N130 or N133 for the .223 with Sierra 55g Blitz. This is based mainly on reading up on it and some input from a bench rest shooter, not from my actual loading experience, which is not great.

My thought was to safely work up in  loads with either of these 2 powders by weight using the scales and once I know my preferred load then make/modify a dipper to give me that particular loading by volume.

They are good components.  I think that after a scale the most important things are a chronograph and a reloading manual like Speer or the Hodgden data manual.  When I started to reload (223) I used a 52 grn hp match Hornady. I made super accurate bullets. I could consistantly knock over 410 cases freehand at 100 paces but on several occasions bullets went clean through targets without killing them.  We even accounted for one Charlie that was shot with a shotgun whilst chasing ducks around a pond. It had semi healed holes on either side of it's body where a bullet had gone right through it without hitting a vital organ.   I got a chrono and checked the speed it was a lot lower than I'd imagined.  I changed the bullet to 55 grn Sierra bthp gameking , changed the powder to H4889 and loaded up to 3450 fps.  It is a hot load and care is required. Reloading without a chronograph is like driving a car without a Speedo. You ain't got a clue what's happening. This is only a start.

Meece,

I have a couple of manuals and a chrono and I also got some good advice from Vihtavouri too( one can but  ask).

So I will be working the loads up nice and safe. Not wishing to go hot at all as most of my shots will be within 200yds. I just want consistency which is something my bought ammunition is lacking.

I am just beginning on this path but I am given to believe it can be a bit consuming.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1

The whole reloading thing can lead to almost a hobby in its own right.  You get a load sorted and then the supplies of components dries up.  Like the recent changes in powder supplies.  One tip that I would offer it to record meticulously vary scrap or data from each trial. At one time I was trial reloading for 4 different calibers with probably results from 6 of each.  It can get very confusing. I was reloading for shotgun at the same time also. Some people make their own lead shot and this again is a hobby in its own right.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

One thing about this is recording the load data as you make and test the loads. It could be that you hit on a good load quickly but just because a dipper will measure a consistent charge, it doesn't follow that this charge will produce an accurate combination of bullet and spèed which suits your barrel.  Reloading to a best suit situation ain't as simple as that. Using a chronograph is so important in this process.  It's like driving a car without a Speedo.  You can guess the speed but you don't really know how fast you are going. I suppose that I tried about five different powders and ten makes and weights of  bullet to get the 223 load that I use. This load uses a 55grn bthp at a consistent 3450fps. This load is hot, powerful and very, very accurate. ..... in my rifle.....  but it would probably not suit another gun.

• 2 months later...