Is 2 years old to old to start lamping

how long you had the  dog mate, was it a rescue  or something  from the pound ?  if so it may have runs in the lamp before . i like  to get them out at 9 weeks old day/night, at that age they learn all there field craft  , plus by time see say rabbits and got there legs  5-6 months old , there steady  and not smashing into stuff at night , where as older dog that not been educated  before in the lamp , can very easy hurt there selves deff. Give it a go  but  take it very easy , see if the dog  runs around like crazy.? 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, twelsh said:

I started my bull x 18 months old  never seen thing until 18 months  took to lamp no probs he's 5 yrs old now doing very well mate

Hi mate my bitch has bull in her (her mum gray x bull dad whippet) she is such a clever dog so hopefully will take to it 

• Like 1
Just now, bird said:

how long you had the  dog mate, was it a rescue  or something  from the pound ?  if so it may have runs in the lamp before . i like  to get them out at 9 weeks old day/night, at that age they learn all there field craft  , plus by time see say rabbits and got there legs  5-6 months old , there steady  and not smashing into stuff at night , where as older dog that not been educated  before in the lamp , can very easy hurt there selves deff. Give it a go  but  take it very easy , see if the dog  runs around like crazy.? 

Hi mate had her from pup was planing to work her when I got her but things in my life got busy so got basic training dune but never had time to get her out on the lamp but life has carmbed down now just hopping she takes to it 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, bird said:

Interesting way to do things, don’t hear of many doing it that way, have you always done it like that and if so have all your dogs reacted in similar ways to being taken out so young?

4 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Interesting way to do things, don’t hear of many doing it that way, have you always done it like that and if so have all your dogs reacted in similar ways to being taken out so young?

Yeh both dogs, old Bryn 13 in sep, was out at young age, just like Buck, Bryn 12 weeks old, Buck  9 weeks. Both dogs were catching rabbits easy at 6 months old. Bryn was really bred as rabbit dog, and being honest from 6 months old never looked  back, he seem to pick them up easy, same as Buck who not bred for rabbits, he picked them up easy, and  more impressive  more so  with 28 on 88lb dog. But I really belive that, because they were out young  seeing rabbits about didn't faze them, over running etc. Both have great strike on them. The main thing for me is letting learn the field craft,  more so  in dark. I've been down that route taking a lurcher at a older age 12 months only seeing the odd rabbit, etc, and later when working getting. Injuries had to lay them off etc. Old Bryn  had plenty of work few lad's on here seen him work,   don't think he ever been. Layed off, in all that time. Buck 8 in august he full on when. Hunting, same with him  like Bryn never been really hurt. Maybe. I've been lucky? But if ever have another lurcher I'd do the again, take them out as young pups, it me the prob getting feckin to old now 68 this year lol. 

• Like 2