Thermal Handheld Advice

I’ve used the axiom ,17,23,38 and 50 and the xq38 f is by far the Best Buy for the money and results .Axium battery life is very poor ,17,23 discontinued and the 50 too much money for a minimal upgrade from 38 .Pm Ian off here ,he will do you a deal .

• Like 3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I went ahead & bought an XM30S, and trialled it the other night. Quite simply I cant fault it! Its tiny, fits in my pocket, and range is excellent to pick up heat sources at great range. S

Don't buy a Helion xp50 I have one and won't see anything more with it than when I had my Helion xq38 and 1500 quid more the Helion xq38 is about the best for the money on any spotter iv had most of t

Yeah, was like big kid 1st night out Si, bet I missed half the things I could have seen cos I just kept swapping colours! Rainbow was pretty!! ?

Posted Images

Thanks for all the replies, it boils down to the smaller Axion handheld for me, and is the slightly larger Amoled viewfinder worth an extra £400 on the XM30S?

Specifications as follows;

Axion Key XM30 PUL-77425 320x240
12µm
50Hz 2.5x - 10.0x
(4.0x)
7.8° 1200m 960x720
LCOS
149x41x69mm
Axion XM30S PUL-77423 320x240
12µm
50Hz 4.5x - 18.0x
(4.0x)
7.3° 1200m 1024x768
AMOLED
143x41x69mm

Take some advice mate .The axium is perfect on paper but the battery life is rubbish ,maybe 2 1/2 hours at best on constant .

The 38 will last all night and next day on constant with much better field of view .Like anything in this world ,you get what you pay for .

They basically all do the same mate ,picking up a heat source but identification is everything when it matters.The axium has a higher mag than most set at 5x I believe which is too much for medium range spotting and tends to blur stuff out rather than give a crisp image .The 38 is 3x and the 50 1.5 x if I’m right .Lower the mag ,better the resolution .With practice you  will  easily ID stuff to 500 yards with the right kit allowing the decision to pursue or not .

6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Take some advice mate .The axium is perfect on paper but the battery life is rubbish ,maybe 2 1/2 hours at best on constant .

The 38 will last all night and next day on constant with much better field of view .Like anything in this world ,you get what you pay for .

They basically all do the same mate ,picking up a heat source but identification is everything when it matters.The axium has a higher mag than most set at 5x I believe which is too much for medium range spotting and tends to blur stuff out rather than give a crisp image .The 38 is 3x and the 50 1.5 x if I’m right .Lower the mag ,better the resolution .With practice you  will  easily ID stuff to 500 yards with the right kit allowing the decision to pursue or not .

Thanks for the info, unfortunately the xm38 has been discontinued, and the Helion is just too big in my humble.

Edited by Lamp_Shy
On 09/07/2020 at 07:30, foxdropper said:

I get almost 4 hours from my axion key 30

• Thanks 1
On 10/07/2020 at 22:09, wilbur foxhound said:

So I went ahead & bought an XM30S, and trialled it the other night.

Quite simply I cant fault it! Its tiny, fits in my pocket, and range is excellent to pick up heat sources at great range. Soon as a fox was spotted & it was on it's way in to the call, handheld screen off and into my pocket & on with the Pulsar trail. A great combination. I was out for 3.5 hours, and it still had some juice left in the battery. 

Mind you I was being careful in turning off the screen when I wasnt using it. Having said that, I'll probably buy another battery, which will give me 6-8 hours use. Mind you, it can charge up using a USB port in the car.

In summary; delighted with picture quality, its tiny and perfect for a spotter. It isnt near the Trail for image quality, but it's designed to be a compact spotter.

The proof in the pudding is they're mostly all sold out & some outlets are quoting end of September for delivery! Scott country have a few left.

At around £1500 i cant fault it! Few foxes now gone....

If you're thinking of a spotter, dont hesitate, this is a great tool.

Hope this whole thread helps others. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, pav said:

For anuther 400 quid the Helion Xq38f is head and shoulders better 8 hr bat life 

Can’t educate those that know better mate .When they use a mates 38 they will spitting nails .lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Can’t educate those that know better mate .When they use a mates 38 they will spitting nails .lol

Opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one, including you.... "lol"

But thanks for your input.....albeit, condescending & unhelpful.

I'm on verge of buying a thermal spotter for first time. What would folk say is more important, low micron rating or the sensor resolution? 

Obviously the xm30s is 12 micron whereas xq38 is still 17..... 

• 3 weeks later...

Resolution over the pixel pitch, so 380 resolution 17 micron is better than 320 resolution 12 micron... then there's the lens size also which play a factor in it all ... 12 micron gives more magnification with smaller lens sizes which allows the reduced cost... 

The Axion models are very popular, probably because of there size, and price point. The Helion is still the flagship model... If you can splash out and money is no object the Helion 2 XP50 is good, if you don't want to spend as much the Helion XQ38F and XQ50F are good too....BUT if you just don't have the cash , the Axion will do the job all the same and they are not a bad unit at all, most are very happy with them..like said the more you spend the better you get..

• Like 1

Cheers I went for xm30s. As my first forray into thermals (apart from my long johns!) didn't want to go too mad. Taking it out tonight for 1st time. 

Scott Country are doing an offer where you get a free spare battery so went for that. 

• Like 2