Thermal Handheld Advice

I'm thinking of buying a handheld thermal spotter, and drawn towards the Pulsar XM30S, selling at £1499 in Scott Country.

Anyone used these units, or have any comments or advice on this or any other thermal units. It's mainly for spotting deer and foxes.

Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I went ahead & bought an XM30S, and trialled it the other night. Quite simply I cant fault it! Its tiny, fits in my pocket, and range is excellent to pick up heat sources at great range. S

Don't buy a Helion xp50 I have one and won't see anything more with it than when I had my Helion xq38 and 1500 quid more the Helion xq38 is about the best for the money on any spotter iv had most of t

Yeah, was like big kid 1st night out Si, bet I missed half the things I could have seen cos I just kept swapping colours! Rainbow was pretty!! ?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Lamp_Shy said:

I'm thinking of buying a handheld thermal spotter, and drawn towards the Pulsar XM30S, selling at £1499 in Scott Country.

Anyone used these units, or have any comments or advice on this or any other thermal units. It's mainly for spotting deer and foxes.

Thanks

Looking at this myself , a few places are doing them for £1400 . I keep getting conflicting reports on them , some say yes it’s all you need and others say don’t bother get the dearer one which is about £2300 , so I don’t know but confused now 

Cheapest I've seen is £1499, and like you, conflicting reports. I dont want to buy then regret...

What model is the dearer one?

20 minutes ago, villaman said:

Looking at this myself , a few places are doing them for £1400 . I keep getting conflicting reports on them , some say yes it’s all you need and others say don’t bother get the dearer one which is about £2300 , so I don’t know but confused now 

Edited by Lamp_Shy

Don't buy a Helion xp50 I have one and won't see anything more with it than when I had my Helion xq38 and 1500 quid more the Helion xq38 is about the best for the money on any spotter iv had most of them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, pav said:

Don't buy a Helion xp50 I have one and won't see anything more with it than when I had my Helion xq38 and 1500 quid more the Helion xq38 is about the best for the money on any spotter iv had most of them

Isnt the XQ38 quite a long unit? I'm thinking more of a pocket sized unit for spotting.

I'm finding this to be a minefield! Lots of conflicting views & advice, I wish there was an objective review for all these units.?

Edited by Lamp_Shy

Heres my summary and opinion of the Pulsar range,  which may help others;

Axion xm22 entry level and around £850

Axion xm30 around £1150, basic model with no extras

Axion xm30S around £1500, same as key but with better HD screen & all the bells & whistles

Axion xm38 Discontinued 

Helion and Accolade have the same specification, however the Helion range are  monoculars & the Accolade models are binoculars. 

In my opinion, Helion models are just too long for a spotter.

Edited by Lamp_Shy

I bought a xq23v 5 years ago they made it "obsolete" after 3 years ,im afraid all technologie is out of date the day you buy it .I just got my sticky paws on the Thermion xq50 scope and its a totally different level far superior but im guessing it,s replacement is already in development .

I would suggest go on You tube there,s lots of actual user,s posted videos of all the different thermal,s so you can decide what suits you best atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Scott country have a “ try before you buy “option . If you are unsure, then I would want to see and use if first . I’ve got an ATN I’ve had it a couple of seasons now and never regretted it . Bit heavy though in comparison to the pulsar models .

• Thanks 1