Working out percentages

It’s not always that easy with Lurcher pups. My mate kept a strong square chested shortish coupled pup and he turned out a nice racey type which he was nt after. The small houndy looking bitch developed into a tank 

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9/16 grey 7/16 bull if I read it correctly.

as written it is wrong way round, but I bet its correct, no one says grey bull do they

Coz it ad 9 tails it was a very rare manx

2 hours ago, jake824 said:

It’s not always that easy with Lurcher pups. My mate kept a strong square chested shortish coupled pup and he turned out a nice racey type which he was nt after. The small houndy looking bitch developed into a tank 

You sure how it was bred? ?

17 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Like I said earlier, you see how the pups throw with your own eyes. If you want a racey pup out the litter you look for that type etc.... 

So in a litter of generation bred bull greyhounds you could pick a pup knowing what size shape it will make as an adult dog 

1 hour ago, jake824 said:

So in a litter of generation bred bull greyhounds you could pick a pup knowing what size shape it will make as an adult dog 

Nothing is a given but your eyes and judgement are a lot better than guessing percentages.

You would think after a few generations the litter would contain more typey pups. ?

Edited by Greb147

I don't think that the genetic make up of a dog with mixed breeding can be calculated by maths. On paper yes, in theory but in reality no. Once the breeds are crossed and then crossed again the percentages that each parent has of the base breed and what percentage each of the pups will have in their genetic make up is not predictable or measurable. The physical appearance or behaviour of the dog may suggest otherwise but it is no true indication of its genetic make up. If you outcross once and only once then breed back only to the one breed then that is different. Eventually you have what what you started out with, the original base breed, even though its physical appearance may have changed . Having said that there are "pure" Russell types around today that still throw pups showing the Border or Lakeland or even KC Fox terrier blood that was added 30 or 40 years ago.

Edited by eastcoast
spelling
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Nothing is a given but your eyes and judgement are a lot better than guessing percentages.

You would think after a few generations the litter would contain more typey pups. ?

Is this something you have experienced yourself 

8 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I always go for a f1 its easier to work out ? I was a first class truant so wanna. Very good at fractions ? 5 eighths etc i not a feckin clue what it means ? Lol ? 

What it is there is 8 eights in an inch so.if your dog was 23 inch tts its not a 38/ 58 

Summat like that anyroad