Working out percentages

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9/16 grey 7/16 bull if I read it correctly.

as written it is wrong way round, but I bet its correct, no one says grey bull do they

Coz it ad 9 tails it was a very rare manx

Why is a greyhound/breed/greyhound, or whippet/breed/whippet, always referred to as a three quarter bred? Without getting into percentages, surely it's more correct to say it's a two thirds bred. 

Obviously, fractions etc isn't my strong point, as I simply can't get my head around dogs bred as above being called threequrter bred.

'Breed' = collie, bull, beddy etc

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Why is a greyhound/breed/greyhound, or whippet/breed/whippet, always referred to as a three quarter bred? Without getting into percentages, surely it's more correct to say it's a two thirds bred. 

Obviously, fractions etc isn't my strong point, as I simply can't get my head around dogs bred as above being called threequrter bred.

'Breed' = collie, bull, beddy etc

Say if it's a whippet sire cross whippet /terrier dam,the pups get 1/2 off each parent,so 50% whippet from the sire and 25% whippet from the dam equals 75% which is 3/4 whippet and 1/4 terrier.But as said if you checked each pup's DNA they may have more than 75% whippet or more than 25% terrier,depending which way they threw.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Say if it's a whippet sire cross whippet /terrier dam,the pups get 1/2 off each parent,so 50% whippet from the sire and 25% whippet from the dam equals 75% which is 3/4 whippet and 1/4 terrier.But as said if you checked each pup's DNA they may have more than 75% whippet or more than 25% terrier,depending which way they threw.

Aussie Whip has a very good point. Added to this you get prepotency. This is where a particular individual appears more frequently in the ancestry and has an even greater influence than the % would dictate. Don't ask me; I don't quite understand it either but if, for example, the grandsire of the whippet sire (to use Aussie Whip's example) was also the great-grandsire on the dam's side then that dog would be prepotent. I think I've got that right.?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Neal said:

Aussie Whip has a very good point. Added to this you get prepotency. This is where a particular individual appears more frequently in the ancestry and has an even greater influence than the % would dictate. Don't ask me; I don't quite understand it either but if, for example, the grandsire of the whippet sire (to use Aussie Whip's example) was also the great-grandsire on the dam's side then that dog would be prepotent. I think I've got that right.?

Didn't know about that but it makes sense.I was going on my kids DNA,the two sisters are almost identical looking but the percent's of Irish,English and Scandinavian DNA were different.Apparently most siblings have different % of the different races in them.I'm pretty sure it's not the prepotency thing though me and the mrs are from different countries,lol.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

You wouldn't even have to check any DNA, the eye will show you which type the pup as thrown to. Percentages mean nothing really. 

• Like 1