Does anyone here have experience of controlling Canada geese under GL36 protection of livestock. I was asked yesterday by a farmer if I could control some geese as he lost a lot of lambs due to the ewes aborting through having campylobacter. I have researched this and goose droppings carry campylobacter so the sheep must have contracted it from the geese grazing in same fields. I think this covers me under GL36 as scaring them off doesnt work they just come back. Thoughts ?

Is there a lake or pond on the farm where they stay ? If you shoot a couple now they might just disappear for good because they are about to moult and when they do they can’t fly . Alternatively wait until they moult then shoot them on the water provided it’s safe . I know it’s not sporting but it’s pest control and I’ve killed a lot like that . Canada geese are a very real pest and you can shoot them any time of the year . 

A24B88E0-C149-4F93-AD7D-BDABF53F3148.jpeg

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

There is no lake on the farm , just over the boundary is a quarry with some ponds in it. They come come over from there and graze his grass.

I wonder if the landowner spoke to the owner of the quarry/ ponds and written permission was granted for you to carry out a cull . Otherwise , just shoot them when they are on his land . I can’t see an issue with the license, they are causing a real problem and need to be dealt with . In order for you to stay within the law , make some attempt to scare them off first . 
        From my own experience though ,culling  is best carried away from the publics gaze  . Twitchers and walkers could cause problems and also you need to be sensitive to public perception of what’s going on . But I don’t need to tell you that it’s just common sense. A bit difficult at the moment though , as the public are out and about everywhere. 

Good luck?

I haven’t really got anything to add to this as SL has covered it, just to reiterate, do it discreetly, the amount of people that get upset about this type of pest control is crazy, I have some ponds I control them on and if it’s duck season I use the shotgun over the ponds and take a few lag along with the Canada’s, if it’s out of season and pure pest control I use everything from the .22 to the .243 on the fields, the only thing I won’t use is the .17hmr because it goes straight through them

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve got on top of the geese on certain permissions by pricking their eggs and keeping at it until it’s too late in the season. Then knock the adults off with the rimmy. As has been said, they moult in July so that’s another chance to keep at them. Lots of feathers on the grass will tell you when they’re moulting. Watch their movements when they feed, they won’t go far from water, It’s their place to escape to when they’re moulting so try to cut their route off back to the water. I’ve found them to stay calm if you get them all together, then dispatch them humanely. Even on the water they can be guided into an area if using a boat like a dog herding sheep. Any that do get through and hatch can’t breed until they’re three years old so it could create a bit of a break in numbers breeding. I visited a place this spring and pricked lots of eggs, went back two weeks later and they were down again. Did the same and they went again. Don’t prick eggs if it’s the first clutch after the end of April for obvious reasons. I’d advise to record the date for later clutches from the first egg so you’re not pricking eggs advanced in incubation. 

• Like 1
On 27/09/2020 at 21:58, cragman said:

I’ve got on top of the geese on certain permissions by pricking their eggs and keeping at it until it’s too late in the season. Then knock the adults off with the rimmy. As has been said, they moult in July so that’s another chance to keep at them. Lots of feathers on the grass will tell you when they’re moulting. Watch their movements when they feed, they won’t go far from water, It’s their place to escape to when they’re moulting so try to cut their route off back to the water. I’ve found them to stay calm if you get them all together, then dispatch them humanely. Even on the water they can be guided into an area if using a boat like a dog herding sheep. Any that do get through and hatch can’t breed until they’re three years old so it could create a bit of a break in numbers breeding. I visited a place this spring and pricked lots of eggs, went back two weeks later and they were down again. Did the same and they went again. Don’t prick eggs if it’s the first clutch after the end of April for obvious reasons. I’d advise to record the date for later clutches from the first egg so you’re not pricking eggs advanced in incubation. 

I was shooting the Canada’s in moult one year and I had to take my hat off to one . It realised that we weren’t shooting the greylag , so it was hiding in amongst them with its head down , as they ran across the bank . They aren’t stupid ?? It reminded me of that Meme with the fox in amongst the hounds , “when you are in deep shit , just look straight ahead “. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2