Recycling furniture

My daughter will be moving out in the not too distant future and we were looking into making a hutch for indoors for "MY" ferrets when she takes them with her, I googled the idea of indoor hutches and these came up, I thought they would be perfect for her, anyone ever do similar

Screenshot_20200628_185457_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20200628_185408_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20200628_185335_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200628_185316_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20200628_185255_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_20200628_183208_com.android.chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Seen few units into vivs but the glass fronted ones for ferrets will get smeary real quick I would thought? And not enough ventilation. 

Why not look for secondhand indoor cage? See plenty on Facebook market place over here. 

Inch welded mesh is out choice of fronts, I've no intention of using glass, the heat build up. Would be too severe I reckon

• Like 3
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Seen few units into vivs but the glass fronted ones for ferrets will get smeary real quick I would thought? And not enough ventilation. 

Why not look for secondhand indoor cage? See plenty on Facebook market place over here. 

I'm in Ireland mate, this will be her indoor cage, her external will be the usual type court or hutch

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Yep made one for the hob...

20200419_180729.jpg.86faa5c17f92582981f45144bc8ccbec.jpg

I left 2 draws in, so when cleaning just pull them out and tip in the barrow...

FF

any finished photo FF,thats my plan too ,leave the last bottom drawer in,even though you should look in to a litter box,they are spotless animals of habit...once they start using it they never miss,my daughter leaves one in the floor of the bedroom and they never have an accident,straight to the litter box every time ,she uses some form of recycled paper pellets and its odourless too ,

5 hours ago, ferret lady said:

What concerns me with anything wood, however well sealed, is that it's almost impossible to prevent odor from the urine soaking in to some extent.

Our youngsters use a litter tray,and never soil anywhere else, but its only going to be an indoor hutch for an hour or two each day ,ther main abode will be out in a shed in the garden...what do you use to house them  yourself FL 

On 02/07/2020 at 15:14, jigsaw said:

Our youngsters use a litter tray,and never soil anywhere else, but its only going to be an indoor hutch for an hour or two each day ,ther main abode will be out in a shed in the garden...what do you use to house them  yourself FL 

I use 3 level plastic coated wire cages (20" or 24"  x 36") for all of mine and put linoleum tile squares on the wire floors.  They're easily cleaned and the tiles can be replaced if necessary.  I have a large ferret room in the house plus the four run groups take turns with free  roam in the house and outdoor pen.   

14 hours ago, Carraghs Gem said:

I have the hob kit in the house right now and the stink is driving me up the wall.. Building a outdoor ferret court is my very next project..  Good luck with the indoor hutch, don't think I could do it tbvh

IMG_20200706_192646.jpg

its all jills we have and their not too bad smell wise,they only come in for 2 to 3 hours every day ,and end up in the daughters bedroom ,id not have a hob in the house under any circumstances

All mine are kept in the house.  When I switched to a raw/whole prey diet (in 2005) from kibble, the odor almost completely disappeared.  The only time I notice any odor in a hob is when they're in rut and that's about 90% less than it was on a kibble diet.