Car clocking?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should milage not be recorded on every mot? 

That’s why I’d rather pay £800 with the high mileage than 3k clocked ??

thing is service history is only as honest as the guy that stamps the book, many local small garages do friends a favour.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

That’s why I’d rather pay £800 with the high mileage than 3k clocked ??

I'm thinking the same, thrashes my head in all honesty. 

You have a price in mind but then you see better models for a bit more and start thinking shall I or shan't I. ?

You then have to think, do you go for a better brand that's a bit older with more miles or a lesser brand that's newer with less miles, where is the cut-off point? ?

9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I'm thinking the same, thrashes my head in all honesty. 

You have a price in mind but then you see better models for a bit more and start thinking shall I or shan't I. ?

You then have to think, do you go for a better brand that's a bit older with more miles or a lesser brand that's newer with less miles, where is the cut-off point? ?

130k on the clock but could be 330 lol. But for 900 quid I couldn't care. Lol. 

IMG_20200613_124425.jpg

• Like 3

what you lads reckon on a 09 mitsubishi trojan 150thou with service history plus recent belts and water pump, i thought with that millage it might be ok as others are less millage but much more dough this ones £4,995

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Taking a chance buying any car these days, iv bought a few trucks for a grand or 2 an had some right good luck with em, spent a fair few grand cash in family car a while back an it’s a heap a shite, know a lad who just bought a new disco, less than 10 thousand miles an it’s went bang, know another lad bought brand new ford ranger an now its parked at ford an they having a serious dispute an they won’t fix it for him an it’s still under warranty ffs, best thing ye can do is take a mechanic an see what he says?

Oil pump on the Ranger is it?,same problem the transit engine had but ford recalled all the transits but left the ranger owners to suffer,poor quality metal on the fins in the oil pump..

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Yip won’t admit its shite. Yet recalled the transit because of it, by all mean sit going to court an there’s loads in same boat, don’t change fact they still paying for trucks they ain’t got.

i couldn’t afford one without credit so o won’t have one, but if I did I’d change that pump in show room before I drove out ?

Proper cnuts trick what they have done and iv'e tried to warn a few owners i know who have them with the pump that goes bang and they all have just said it's under warrenty so they will fix it..I tried,they didn't listen but by feck they will wish they had when it does go bang. £80 odd quid for the pump but you got over £400 of labour to get to it and get it changed.. Same as you mate and i'd want to see the receipt to prove it's been changed to....How you doing with your one and what age etc is it Don?.

46 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Old 05 plate mate, bog standard 2.5 crew cab, 120, odd on it an body work a bit rough, but for 750 what can ye expect, I done around 5000 mile in it an done nowt but fit a pair at tyres on it an fill it with diesel,  it thirsty but I can live with that mate, it’s perfect for what I want an need, can see me havin another when I kill this un ?

632955EF-ADDC-4A85-B3E4-CB292E8A6F45.png

A MK2 and the same as mine,good old busses for what we want eh and for cheap enough bits millners 4x4,it's on line and you order madza bits as rangers are madza's with a ford badge.Those big wheels will be costing you mpg and if there touching on full lock then turn the torsion bars at the front and it'll lift the front clear.Also a ifor back will fit over the ladder rack so don't cut it off like the dickhead did to the one i got:doh::laugh:..

• Like 1

Well we've narrowed it down to a few motors, Honda CR-V, Peugeot 306 SW, Passat, god knows what else. 

I had made my mind up on the Passat has it's much cheaper to run than the CR-V with fuel & tax but then i noticed they need the belt doing and this car I like is due, that and an extra they recommend sets you back nearly 500 bar. 

Always take a mechanic mate when buying a 2nd hand car.

Haven't owned a car for about 9 years now (don't need one here but if I do, I just borrow my mate's car) In Blighty,  I used to just buy a 50 note runaround for me and a decent one for the family. Had a Nissan micra, I paid 50 quid for and it ran for 3 years.... right up until it got crushed for no insurance ? (ex cancelled the policy when we broke up and didn't tell me).

@W. Katchum I'd just left your G's so when I got pulled... the car was full of ferreting gear, ferrets and a bloody great big machete, should've seen the coppers face when it fell out from behind the drivers seat ???

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Well we've narrowed it down to a few motors, Honda CR-V, Peugeot 306 SW, Passat, god knows what else. 

I had made my mind up on the Passat has it's much cheaper to run than the CR-V with fuel & tax but then i noticed they need the belt doing and this car I like is due, that and an extra they recommend sets you back nearly 500 bar. 

Hondas one of the few Japanese firms not fitting Peugeot engines and European car parts, so they are still pretty good, only downside is the japs don’t salt there roads so don’t go overboard on underselling, check it underneath for rust and if it’s clean get it waxoiled should last you many years ??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

I know a fella who makes a very very good living clocking peoples motors so I'd say there's plenty getting done.

£150  a car round here mate and it’s a lot quicker than spending 2 days with an electric drill attached to your speedo cable ??

51 minutes ago, Greyman said:

£150  a car round here mate and it’s a lot quicker than spending 2 days with an electric drill attached to your speedo cable ??

He charges between £80 and £120 and most of its done with a laptop

You can turn the mileage back but apparently you can't fool the ECU. A friend of mine bought an old Peugeot for running the dogs around in. He thought it had done 160K and it ran fine. He took it to a Peugeot mechanic (not a main dealer) for some problem he couldn't fix himself and they informed him it had done over 300K pretty much as soon as they plugged the diagnostics in.