Good rat baits

My brother had trouble with them in his attic, put a load of traps up there with peanut butter, apple, aniseed, bacon and they wouldn't go near them.

He had 2 camera's up there watching them.

Also just put some fenns in wooden tunnel's in the runs coming from under the fence from next door in my niece's garden, rather than come through,

they have dug out new runs.

Alot of them are super neophobic.

SINDASOX

13 hours ago, SINDASOX said:

My brother had trouble with them in his attic, put a load of traps up there with peanut butter, apple, aniseed, bacon and they wouldn't go near them.

He had 2 camera's up there watching them.

Also just put some fenns in wooden tunnel's in the runs coming from under the fence from next door in my niece's garden, rather than come through,

they have dug out new runs.

Alot of them are super neophobic.

SINDASOX

I find upto about 3/4 grown they will fall for a trap baited with peanut butter after that they are seriously smart and I normally just shoot them on the bird feeders with my air rifle, 

• Like 1

Cat food,  peanut butter,  jam,  honey,  sweet corn........................................or find out what they are eating and put more of that down but whatever you use try to place it in a safe area such as under the edge of a pallet or make your own shelter and leave it in place for a few days.  Rats will always try to take their food into a safe area.  My dairy farm perm where rats were in plentyful supply were climbing into the cattle feed troughs so they were very easy to shoot but in many cases you need to outwit them as these little buggers are not stupid even to the point that we had to change the days we shot them on as they got wise.

Also bear in mind that owls feed on rats as well as mice which can make them very skittish.

Phil

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Had this feisty bigger this morning, bird feeder fat ball.

Cheers, D.

IMG_20200628_092515.jpg

Was working at a farm that stores caravans the other week, a bloke turned up to do some work on one and started going mental when he opened door, it was a really nice van but the rats had got in a wrecked it.. it was a right mess?

I set a few fens up but don’t hold any luck out for them till the winter weather kicks back in. 

I tend to use whatever stuff their eating around the permission...if there isn't anything there,.use something gooey or sticky as they stay there licking it up, catfood peanut butter,  smelly stuff but nothing with big pieces in as they just run off with it...

• Like 2

My shooting buddy and myself are wating to hear from a company to give us the go ahead to shoot the rats in a big waste containment area. My pal went to see them and took his sub 12 to show them what we use or not as the case.  As a demo, he shot 17 rats in just over 15mins..............................if health and safety approve this, it is going to be amazing but apparently very smelly.

Phil

• Like 2

I find it's not so much the bait but how comfortable the rats feel. If the bait is out in the open they'll want to grab and run, even at night they are suspicious that owls might be about. I put down wooden pallets , they'll sit quiet happily under there giving you a good shot.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

I find it's not so much the bait but how comfortable the rats feel. If the bait is out in the open they'll want to grab and run, even at night they are suspicious that owls might be about.

A few weeks ago we had an infestation of Rolands.  All of the neighbours had visitations from Roland as they were moving between gardens. I watched them on the cctv replay and they only came once a night for only a short period. They were so touchy and flighty it was incredible. I used a cage trap and a std spring type trap.  In the end I used fuse wire to hold bacon rind onto the trip spike so that they had to tug at the bait.  I filed up the trip parts to make them smooth and light trip. I sited the traps next to the shed wall and built a wall around the traps using bricks so that Roland was guided  onto the trap from the front and not the end or side so basically the trap was in a shoe box. I watched them on replay.  Sometimes they wouldn't go near the traps as if the traps weren't there.  Other times they would get onto and into the traps like a ninja and lick the bait but not take it or set the traps off.  But like a game of odds if it can happen, at some stage it will do and the more times you play that game the odds stack against you.  Eventually Roland played the game once too many times.  I accounted for 3 and 1 Mickey. They were disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner. The neighbours accounted for some and I'm sure that the baits put down by others may have had an impact.  I couldn't use a rifle because I couldn't get an angle on where they were and I  wasn't going to sit up until silly o'clock waiting when my spring loaded friend was happy to lay in wait for them.

Edited by Meece
On 28/06/2020 at 20:47, dytkos said:

Had this feisty bigger this morning, bird feeder fat ball.

Cheers, D.

IMG_20200628_092515.jpg

I hear the venkys chicken is good bait, I’ve had a few on fat balls my sel, same we the tree rats, atb ??

• Like 1